Jump to content

Andy_P

Season 2020’21: Game 7 St Johnstone (H)

Recommended Posts

Right, enough of the nonsense.  Three points. Get it done Motherwell.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A clean sheet would be a good start.  As Matt Busby would say just do it Motherwell and don’t get caught.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've had a break to hopefully iron out our problems,we have to see a reaction,if we see another lacklustre performance then the alarm bells will be starting to ring for me.i don't care how we do it but 3 points is a must.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a good feeling that we're going to extend our home win streak in this game from 1 to 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

——————————-Carson

 

O’Donnell———Gallagher———Mugabi——-McGinley

 

—————————-Maguire

 

————O’Hara—-——————-Campbell——

 

————————-Polworth

 

——-——-Lang————————-Long

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ would go with that team myself although I suspect Robinson would drop Mugabi in favour of Lamie if McGinley is fit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

^ would go with that team myself although I suspect Robinson would drop Mugabi in favour of Lamie if McGinley is fit. 

Well that'll allow Lamie to boost his yellow card count.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2020 at 7:15 AM, Kmac said:

——————————-Carson

 

O’Donnell———Gallagher———Mugabi——-McGinley

 

—————————-Maguire

 

————O’Hara—-——————-Campbell——

 

————————-Polworth

 

——-——-Lang————————-Long

 

 

Could work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maguire should be playing that DM role, or at least getting a chance, but I just don't see Robinson picking him.

He's not had a single second of game time this term.

Big, big game for us.  Only Rangers have pumped St Johnstone this season so you can see it being a pretty grim struggle with one goal settling it.  Between them the teams have played 540 minutes of football and scored 1 goal.  And Motherwell and St Johnstone have conceded 36% of the penalties so far awarded in the league so perhaps, if there is a goal, it will come from the spot.

I think it'll be tight but St Johnstone have wins under their belt, scored more goals and conceded less so you have to have the old claret and amber lenses on to not have them as favourites.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be going with

Carson

Gallagher Mugabi Lamie

O'Donnell Campbell Maguire Polworth McGinlay

Lang Watt

I know that this won't be the lineup though I don't know if it's a million miles away. We all know that Long and O'Hara will start, irrespective of form or suitability for the game...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maguire is a centre half, the experiment to turn him into a premiership level defensive midfielder was doomed to failure from the outset. If he can’t get a game in his best position (and he couldn’t in the end at queens either) then it doesn’t hold out much hope of him being here much longer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

Maguire is a centre half, the experiment to turn him into a premiership level defensive midfielder was doomed to failure from the outset. If he can’t get a game in his best position (and he couldn’t in the end at queens either) then it doesn’t hold out much hope of him being here much longer

So no centre half can play defensive midfield?  

He had 5 starts last season and played most of one match.

Out of those 6 we beat St Mirren  twice (remember when we could beat St Mirren?) lost away to Hibs and Celtic (where he got praise for his performance), and at home to Aberdeen and then came on in the 18th minute against Hearts where we drew 1-1.

So that's P6 W2 D1 L3 with most of the matches against city clubs, and mostly away from home.  

Overall Maguire has played 12 league matches for the club over 3 seasons. 

3 of those appearances amount to, literally, a few minutes of football, so in the 9 matches where he has started or got any amount of game time  how exactly have you come to such a firm conclusion that he is 'doomed to failure'?

Look at our form recent form and I'd be looking to maybe give other players a chance, just a chance, to show they can do better.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Maguire should be playing that DM role, or at least getting a chance, but I just don't see Robinson picking him.

He's not had a single second of game time this term.

Big, big game for us.  Only Rangers have pumped St Johnstone this season so you can see it being a pretty grim struggle with one goal settling it.  Between them the teams have played 540 minutes of football and scored 1 goal.  And Motherwell and St Johnstone have conceded 36% of the penalties so far awarded in the league so perhaps, if there is a goal, it will come from the spot.

I think it'll be tight but St Johnstone have wins under their belt, scored more goals and conceded less so you have to have the old claret and amber lenses on to not have them as favourites.

Agree Maguire should had had a chance this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the injuries we’ve had  in central defence and holding midfield, it’s a surprise Maguire hasn’t featured at all. 
 

I wonder if we might look at Andy Halliday as an option for covering a few positions we’ve been short in? 
 

Hopeful we’ll get our first League win tomorrow, expect McGinley to start in a back four and maybe even Hastie to come back in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, gee said:

I wonder if we might look at Andy Halliday as an option for covering a few positions we’ve been short in? 
 

Hopeful we’ll get our first League win tomorrow, expect McGinley to start in a back four and maybe even Hastie to come back in. 

The number of goals we've conceded hasn't been huge. Conceding 1 goal to Hamilton, Dundee United and Ross County isn't terrible at all.  For me, the issue is goalscoring. Not sure Halliday would help with that. 

Having said that, on the basis of this season, I'm not sure that Hastie would help with that either... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't have an issue signing Halliday, can play various positions and I think would be good to have in dressing room.  Heard him on radio Scotland a few times and comes across very well.  Unlike that balloon Ricky Foster!!, bad enough listening to David Currie but now we have Foster also!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

I would be going with

Carson

Gallagher Mugabi Lamie

O'Donnell Campbell Maguire Polworth McGinlay

Lang Watt

I know that this won't be the lineup though I don't know if it's a million miles away. We all know that Long and O'Hara will start, irrespective of form or suitability for the game...

I wouldn't be averse to giving Maguire an opportunity.  O'Hara has shown on occasion he can offer something, but more often than not, that has come with the relative protection offered by Donnelly and the gentle cajoling of Hartley behind him.

I'd explore the Long and Lang combination up front further though. 

I'm interested to see what McGinlay can bring and his inclusion should give us as balanced a backline as we've had all season. I thought he did reasonably well going forward at Dingwall as part of a back-four.  Let's see what he can offer with what in theory should be a little more licence to get up and down the wing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I've seen, McGinley's return is a real boost. Early days, but he looks confident and composed going forward. Looking forward to seeing him again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CoF said:

From what I've seen, McGinley's return is a real boost. Early days, but he looks confident and composed going forward. Looking forward to seeing him again. 

I thought we'd signed a dud with his performance vs Rangers, but he was very good against Ross County. Having him back will give us a lot more balance with him on the left and O'Donnell on the right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, CoF said:

From what I've seen, McGinley's return is a real boost. Early days, but he looks confident and composed going forward. Looking forward to seeing him again. 

Agreed but is he fit enough to start?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×