Allan Campbell

Ross

He has played over 100 games under Robinson, so we probably should give the manager some credit for his development. 

His attitude and work rate are top notch, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get to the highest level in England or abroad at some point. Lack of height and pace are probably the reasons he hasn't moved on yet, but he's going to have a pretty good career one way or the other. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I think he'll leave at the end of the season for compensation and end up at a club like Hibs or Aberdeen. Not every young lad wants to bugger off down south away from friends and family, and I think if he fancied that we'd be hearing about more clubs down there keeping an eye on him and maybe even putting in some bids in the window just past.

Aberdeen or Hibs is a decent step up if he's wanting to stay in Scotland. He could go to either and have a very good career at a decent level on decent dough.

If I was a youngster playing in the Premiership, I'd look for a move to a different league purely on the basis that it must get a bit repetitive playing the same 8 or 9 teams multiple times every season (plus the occasional new opponents from the Championship).

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

If I was a youngster playing in the Premiership, I'd look for a move to a different league purely on the basis that it must get a bit repetitive playing the same 8 or 9 teams multiple times every season (plus the occasional new opponents from the Championship).

Aye, but like anyone taking a job that would see them move to a different country or whatever, you'd take into account your family circumstances I'd imagine?

I'm sure he'll do the same. Is he married? In a long-term relationship? If so, does his other half work? Do they maybe study? Is he going to just fuck off down south and leave them up here at University or college? Do they want to quit their job and move to somewhere they know no one? Away from friends and family? While he's at training and can effectively "plug in" to a social circle of new team-mates the partners are often the ones left at home in a flat or house with fuck all to do except get homesick.

There's a lot of different considerations for any player when they decide to move club. 

He may very well fancy a shot down south. Maybe he's single and can take off wherever he likes. But maybe he'll see Hibs or Aberdeen offering a decent wedge and figure it's a win/win as he'll be close to home and also earning a bigger wage. 

A whole lot more to it than football, which, if we're honest, is only a job at the end of the day. Family comes first and all that jazz.

But maybe he'll see Hibs or Aberdeen offering a decent wedge and figure it's a win/win as he'll be close to home and also earning a bigger wage. 
A whole lot more to it than football, which, if we're honest, is only a job at the end of the day. Family comes first and all that jazz.

Aye Aberdeen, just 5 minutes up the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Ross said:

Aye Aberdeen, just 5 minutes up the road

What is it? Like 2 and a half hours from Glasgow? As opposed to four or five hours down to Stoke or wherever? 

The point still stands. He'll have to take into account more than just his own circumstances unless he's a single guy with no relationships or anything going on. It ain't football manager, players aren't just making decisions based on their career, they have lives outside of football to consider as well.

What is it? Like 2 and a half hours from Glasgow? As opposed to four or five hours down to Stoke or wherever? 
The point still stands. He'll have to take into account more than just his own circumstances unless he's a single guy with no relationships or anything going on. It ain't football manager, players aren't just making decisions based on their career, they have lives outside of football to consider as well.

For a extra couple grand a week am sure he’ll be able to put up with a extra hour drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Interesting watching the Scotland u21s against Czech Republic. Gemmill has always liked playing Campbell in an advanced midfield role so he can lead the press. Tonight is the first time I’ve seen us for a while though  and Campbell was playing like a 2nd striker alongside the impressive Hornby. He done a job for the team in what was a great result but I’m sure he’d rather be in the heart of midfield. 

As for his next move. He’s not the model professional bursting his balls every day to get a move to Aberdeen or Hibs. No disrespect to those clubs but to develop further as a player, he needs to move to a better league. I don’t think he’ll be short of offers.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, David said:

Personally, I think he'll leave at the end of the season for compensation and end up at a club like Hibs or Aberdeen. Not every young lad wants to bugger off down south away from friends and family, and I think if he fancied that we'd be hearing about more clubs down there keeping an eye on him and maybe even putting in some bids in the window just past.

Aberdeen or Hibs is a decent step up if he's wanting to stay in Scotland. He could go to either and have a very good career at a decent level on decent dough.

I'm struggling with your train of thought here...do you honestly think clubs down South would be put off pursuing Allan Campbell, because 'he might not fancy moving'?

It's a short career and I'll guarantee you that unless Celtic or Rangers are interested in a player up here, then 99.9% of the footballing population wouldn't think twice about moving South for the riches that are down there in comparison to here.

If Campbell ends up at Hibs or Aberdeen, it's purely because nobody else showed an interest. 

13 hours ago, Ross said:

For a extra couple grand a week am sure he’ll be able to put up with a extra hour drive

Maybe he will, maybe he won't. I'm just offering the reasons why he may choose to remain in Scotland, that's all. 

It's not a decision he'll make based entirely on football is my main point. There's other factors such as the ones I mentioned that will come into his thought process.

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

I'm struggling with your train of thought here...do you honestly think clubs down South would be put off pursuing Allan Campbell, because 'he might not fancy moving'?

It's a short career and I'll guarantee you that unless Celtic or Rangers are interested in a player up here, then 99.9% of the footballing population wouldn't think twice about moving South for the riches that are down there in comparison to here.

If Campbell ends up at Hibs or Aberdeen, it's purely because nobody else showed an interest. 

In most cases the first port of call for an interested club will be the players agent, and if Campbell has told his agent that he fancies remaining in Scotland for the time being, for whatever reason, then why would the English club pursue the player? 

As for guarantees about the football population, you can't make any kind of claim to that end. The truth is, neither you nor I knows what goes through any individual players mind before they make a move. What I've provided above is some of the factors that, for many players, will be a factor. 

If you honestly think that a footballer won't take into account the circumstances and preferences of their significant others and family then I don't know what to tell you.

My main point is that just because a potential move to Hibs, for example, may be seen as a "sideways move" by some fans in a footballing sense, it doesn't mean he's not going to entertain the idea based on factors outside of football.

Unless these young players are real home birds who wouldn't fancy a few years down there for the craic as well as the dough. Did it myself in early 20s and had a great time, London back in the day was full of exiled Scots of all ages and I doubt its' attractions have faded that much. Stoke on the other hand....

2 minutes ago, claretband said:

Unless these young players are real home birds who wouldn't fancy a few years down there for the craic as well as the dough.

Just depends on the individual I suppose... I worked in London for a couple of years in my 20's and couldn't stand the place.

4 minutes ago, numpty said:

Just depends on the individual I suppose... I worked in London for a couple of years in my 20's and couldn't stand the place.

Yeh prob not for everyone but it is full of folks from all corners of the planet of course many of whom stay for years; that's the beauty of it though if you don't like it just move on/move back at least you've had the experience.   My point was there's young lads in all trades trekking down not just footballers.

40 minutes ago, David said:

Maybe he will, maybe he won't. I'm just offering the reasons why he may choose to remain in Scotland, that's all. 

It's not a decision he'll make based entirely on football is my main point. There's other factors such as the ones I mentioned that will come into his thought process.

In most cases the first port of call for an interested club will be the players agent, and if Campbell has told his agent that he fancies remaining in Scotland for the time being, for whatever reason, then why would the English club pursue the player? 

As for guarantees about the football population, you can't make any kind of claim to that end. The truth is, neither you nor I knows what goes through any individual players mind before they make a move. What I've provided above is some of the factors that, for many players, will be a factor. 

If you honestly think that a footballer won't take into account the circumstances and preferences of their significant others and family then I don't know what to tell you.

My main point is that just because a potential move to Hibs, for example, may be seen as a "sideways move" by some fans in a footballing sense, it doesn't mean he's not going to entertain the idea based on factors outside of football.

If a club wanted a player at our level, they wouldn't just stop at the agent, theyd be speaking to our club and theyd pester the agent and player...if they really wanted them.