Season 2020’21: Game 8 Aberdeen (A)

Andy_P

4 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

We've caught a wee bit lucky today cos Aberdeen have put in a shambolic first 10 minutes but we took advantage of that and did everything you'd want us to do.

The question is - can we do that without getting a big helping hand?   Time will tell I guess.  

Nature of the Scottish Premiership. Most teams don't have the brilliance to unlock teams. It's about waiting for the opponent to give you an opportunity and taking it.  

Too often this season teams have been able to wait for us to give them their opportunity and taken it. Nice to see us turning it on its head...

We barely put a step wrong all game and fully deserved the result. The back 3 strolled it, and once again Mugabi was solid. He has taken advantage of the chance given to him, and whoever comes in on Thursday will have to work just as hard to keep their place. I'm not sure why grimshaw came in for mcginley, but he did fine.

Watt and Long ran themselves into the ground, with watt doing a great job of holding the ball up. 

Was interesting last few games that we won, a few on here saying we were lucky and how shite we were. That was maybe true in some instances but what was also true was we could have beaten ross county,hibs and Dundee utd. 1st and 2nd goals in our league are the difference but today in 1st half I felt we started to look dominant and dangerous again. Thursday night is huge and I hope and also think our boys know it. The chance of a home game to win in excess of £3m minimum from group stages is unbelievable for us. I hope that the players know it and personally I would put up a £1m bonus for players if they manage it. £50k each roughly is a huge added incentive for players at our level. Both teams we will have to beat I believe are slightly below celtic level but certainly above us but it's one off game and a great chance. Nervous already thinking about it and just wish like everyone else we could be at it.

13 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Our best 2 games of the season have been away at Hibs and today. We need to turn in the same level of performance against the “weaker” sides as well. 

No coincidence that both those teams are more attacking - especially at home.

Where we struggle is when teams come and sit in - which tends to be the "weaker" sides.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Because it signifies that he's recovered from a bad head knock. He took a sore one but soldiered on when he possibly shouldn't have done. Whatever else he's a trier. Given what happened to Carl McHugh, I'm just glad he's ok. 

Needs to be a trier cause he ain't no football player 

See, this is what happens when I decide I'm going out fishing for the day and not staying in to watch footie.

If anyone wants to chip in for permits for Thursday night, I'm open to offers.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 12:36 PM, ropy said:

We need to reintroduce the midfield to the flow of our game, get Polworth back on song and get him threading balls through to the attackers.  Might need someone cutting in from wide.

Other than perhaps the Hibs game this was the first time where the midfield imposed itself.  More on the destructive side rather than creating but they won the battle.

That was beautiful to watch today. A clinical first 25 mins, fully capitalising on Aberdeen’s inept defending, followed by a thoroughly professional and hard working  performance for the remainder of the 90. 

Campbell was immense while Mugabi, Long and Watt all impressed. Most pleasing though is the work ethic and togetherness of the team, we’ve responded very well to the criticism and given Aberdeen a bloody nose in the process. Thoughts go out to Willie Miller who was waxing lyrical about Aberdeen’s resolute defence pre-match. 

The trip to Israel is going to be incredibly challenging for a variety of reasons but hopefully we can do ourselves proud. 

33 minutes ago, ohwulliewullie said:

One of the things I really liked today was how we closed them down quickly and didn’t give them a minute’s peace, from front to back, from start to finish, and from all over the team. Great stuff

Exactly we made sure we won every second ball instead of waiting for it to happen. Been a while since we've been faultless over 90 mins

4 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Aberdeen have had 3 chances, all coming from crosses from our right side.

It was exactly the same on Thursday night in Coleraine. This needs to be fixed. Anyway, a great result today and thoroughly deserved, if somewhat unexpected. It takes us off the bottom, which is no bad thing.  A good team effort and good management too. Credit where its deserved. It does make thing easier when teams have a go at us rather than sit in. The outcome just shows the importance of making no errors at the back and taking your chances when they come along. Its worked against us so far but today it went in our favour. Hopefully we can kick on now.

Allan Campbell was immense as we chased and harried the Dons. I've not been Bevis' biggest fan but he took his goal really well today and hopefully he'll step up now. Chris Long scored what is a typical goal for him. I like the way we're taking our penalties and Mark O' Hara has impressed me in that department. In recent weeks the midfield has been prone to going AWOL but not today. It just goes to show what a combative and hard working engine room can do.

Happy days.

The performance was more pleasing than the result for me. We looked like we could score every time we went forward, and the only 'negative' would be that we only got the 3! You could put some of that down to Aberdeen starting slow and then tightening up as the game went on, but I enjoyed watching wee Al steamroller through the back of their midfield time and again as much as I would've enjoyed a fourth.

It felt like Campbell was playing a much more disciplined roll today, and rather than just belting about the pitch for 90 minutes he sat a bit deeper and read the game in front of him really well to break up Aberdeen possession and then belt up the pitch on the counter with numbers in support. It may have been a tactical thing (especially given how tired he looked at Coleraine) but I think him playing in that deeper position really set the tone for us.

Feeling slightly optimistic for Thursday night, which is probably the worst thing that could happen.