Season 2020’21: Game 8 Aberdeen (A)

Andy_P

On 9/19/2020 at 9:46 AM, star sail said:

I think we will win this. We have a good record against Aberdeen. Aberdeen have had a good start to the season but they are not thumping teams. 

I was reading in the transfer thread that we have no quality in the side. At the start of the season, I think we all felt that we did. Nothing had really changed (loss of Turnbull apart which was inevitable) so for me it is a lack of confidence rather than a lack of quality. Our best performance by some way was against Hibs.  I think we may do the same again. 

0-1 Motherwell and our season kicking on from there. 

I am almost NEVER right so I am going to take this opportunity to pretend I know what I am talking about. 

I am also going to take the opportunity of a great result to make a couple of points about some negative comments over this last month. 

1. 'We are favourites to be relegated' We were no more favourites to be relegated in 12 place after 7 games than we are to favourites to finish 8th now after 8 games. We should try looking at the bigger picture. 

2. 'Robinson should be sacked now because after Hibs and Aberdeen beat us we will only have 4pts.' Let's try to make statements about sacking managers based on the facts of what has happened, rather than negative speculation of what might. 

3. 'Motherwell were not really 3rd last season because Aberdeen would have finished 3rd' Can we be absolutely certain about that based on today's result? They might have but like point 2, I would rather base judgement on the fact that Motherwell did finish third, rather than that Aberdeen may have in some mythical end to the season. 

Great result today. Let's give our team the benifits of the doubt and give them some proper backing. 

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, star sail said:

I am almost NEVER right so I am going to take this opportunity to pretend I know what I am talking about. 

I am also going to take the opportunity of a great result to make a couple of points about some negative comments over this last month. 

1. 'We are favourites to be relegated' We were no more favourites to be relegated in 12 place after 7 games than we are to favourites to finish 8th now after 8 games. We should try looking at the bigger picture. 

2. 'Robinson should be sacked now because after Hibs and Aberdeen beat us we will only have 4pts.' Let's try to make statements about sacking managers based on the facts of what has happened, rather than negative speculation of what might. 

3. 'Motherwell were not really 3rd last season because Aberdeen would have finished 3rd' Can we be absolutely certain about that based on today's result? They might have but like point 2, I would rather base judgement on the fact that Motherwell did finish third, rather than that Aberdeen may have in some mythical end to the season. 

Great result today. Let's give our team the benifits of the doubt and give them some proper backing. 

I tend to be one of the last to conclude that a managers time is up but honestly, I woke up this morning expecting a defeat and felt we could be genuine relegation contenders this year. I don't think it's as unreasonable as you make out that folk to have been thinking along those lines. It's not just about this season, but since the departures of Scott and Cole in January we've been rock-bottom of the form tables. 

If you include the cup win over Championship team Dundee, we won 3 in 13 after new year last season and went out of the cup to 10th placed St Mirren (after finding ourselves 4-1 at one point). We took 2 points from an available 18 at the start of this season, scoring 4 goals in 6 games - our play in the final third was shocking, we pose no threat from set-pieces, whole games would go by without us getting a shot on target and defensive lapses were gifting goals. Existing players were going backwards and while the new signings looked decent in glimpses, none made a significant impact.

Most worrying, it just didn't look like the spark was going to come. I'm more than happy to be proved wrong there, because today we were fantastic. I've never doubted Robinsons or the players desire to do well for the club and I hope that today gives them that psychological boost to regain that winning mentality. Bring on Thursday!

51 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Aye, but so were the ones we were missing in previous games.

Even in our good years, I can't remember us regularly converting the sort of chance that Chris Long tucked away today. Our strikers normally sclaff those straight at the keeper or past the post.

4 minutes ago, numpty said:

Even in our good years, I can't remember us regularly converting the sort of chance that Chris Long tucked away today. Our strikers normally sclaff those straight at the keeper or past the post.

His finish for the offside goal was even better. Some consistency and he could be an oustanding player for us. 

1 hour ago, CoF said:

but since the departures of Scott and Cole in January we've been rock-bottom of the form tables

Off topic and not that it matters but just had a Google and Cole is a free agent just now. I don't think he enjoyed his time up here but would happily have him back if we could get rid of Seedorf and/or Hastie in the process.

Well I didn't see that coming!

It was impressive for a number of reasons. Scoreline - obviously. Performance. Focus. Concentration. Being clinical; and so on.

I can't imagine that after 120 minutes and penalties on Thursday night and a journey home (albeit short) and then presumably what would have been a Saturday journey north there wasn't a huge amount of time on the training ground to tackle what was an awful second forty-five minutes on Thursday. 

But yesterday, when we had the lead was almost a mirror image.  Aberdeen barely got a sniff and it was a professional a shutting down of an opposition as you could probably hope to see. How good was it to see us actually start the second half on the front. When they had made wholesale changes looking for a spark, it was us who had the ball in their half and they were defending corners.  They didn't get a chance to build up the same momentum that Coleraine did on Thursday. 

I had my fears about three away games inside a week followed up with a visit from one of the Old Firm and it may yet be that we run of out steam come Sunday but there are times when the confidence is up, which it will be with the four wins in five, that it is no bad thing that the games come thick and fast.  This kind of feels like that at the moment.

Great to see us capitalise on the opportunities that came our way, to re-affirm what we are capable of when everyone is on it and quite pleasant to be able to look down the table at a few teams for the first time in a couple of weeks.

12 hours ago, claretband said:

I went fishing as well, caught the second half and that was the only thing I caught as after mullet, what did you get?

Was fly fishing for for trout. Got three and the back of the guy's head I was sharing the boat with.

• Like 2

i thought we were outstanding on Sunday. Not just the early blitz, but we totally dominated the midfield and our defence were super comfortable under pressure.

If every game was like that I'd be a happy man! Just the shot in the arm we need in time for the game in Tel Aviv.