Season 2020’21: Game 9: Rangers (H)

Andy_P

Just now, grizzlyg said:

I know it can be easy to criticise players but looking at 4th goal what on earth is Lamie doing?....move to the side and give guy a clear shot at goal 

The guy is an absolute nightmare,i didn't think we could get any lower than tony streaker,how wrong was i.

Just now, Blakey said:

This attitude is everything that's wrong with our approach to games against this mob, we are beat before a ball is kicked.

Budgets not attitudes are the thing. Budgets are exactly why the OF have been winning the league for decades. Exactly why only a handful of teams can win the CL. You can't tell me approaching 40 years of league domination by two teams is down to an attitude.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, grizzlyg said:

I know it can be easy to criticise players but looking at 4th goal what on earth is Lamie doing?....move to the side and give guy a clear shot at goal 

He did the same at Celtic Park.

He may get away with being average against bottom 6 sides but against top teams Lamie is not up to it. We have seen it now for several games not just one offs. 

I thought 4-1 b4 game kicked off as I could not see how our defence could cope with a free scoring Rangers team. I was almost right. Sadly we were even worse than even I expected.

I thought we were the equal of Hibs but based on that today we are miles out. Hoping for 5th but back to thinking avoiding relegation is our only target. 

I feel nothing for any of our squad other than Campbell. What a shower of imposters we have assembled. Lacking in any sort of commitment and desire also. Shambles all over the shop.

Lamie in particular is Mark O’Brien/Zak Jules bad. Our recruitment in the summer was abysmal. 

At this moment in time I’m more confident of Accies staying up than us.

4 minutes ago, Lan_Lad said:

Budgets not attitudes are the thing. Budgets are exactly why the OF have been winning the league for decades. Exactly why only a handful of teams can win the CL. You can't tell me approaching 40 years of league domination by two teams is down to an attitude.

I don’t think anybody is suggesting we should be winning the league. We should be able to compete in the odd one-off game though. Our record against them is deplorable.

8 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Said it for weeks now Lamie is brutal should be nowhere near the team, but SR seems to think he can do a job. 

To be fair he looked OK at Livi in beside Gallagher so he may turn things round this season and prove me wrong but right now he needs dropped, problem is though who do we have to replace him, nobody. 

3 minutes ago, Lan_Lad said:

We're never going to compete with them over a season, but come on ffs, our individual performances against them are unacceptable. Other clubs are able to beat them regularly yet we see the same gutless performance against them that we've seen for the last twenty years. As I said, we are beat before a ball is kicked and we have the ready made excuse of they have a bigger budget ready made before hand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Didn't see any of the game today but looking at the league table there are 5 teams that are as bad as one another with 1 point splitting them.

You can bang on about individual players or individual coaches but everything points to our season so far just being the level for non city Premiership teams.

I've been saying for some time that the level is garbage and something has to be done about it but when watch you Motherwell these days the stink is much stronger than just our club.

The source of the smell comes from Scottish football in general and until some thing serious is done to improve the standard of the game watching clubs like ours is going to be mostly a deflating experience.

4 minutes ago, Blakey said:

We're never going to compete with them over a season, but come on ffs, our individual performances against them are unacceptable. Other clubs are able to beat them regularly yet we see the same gutless performance against them that we've seen for the last twenty years. As I said, we are beat before a ball is kicked and we have the ready made excuse of they have a bigger budget ready made before hand.

Nobody but perhaps the other half is beating them regularly. You're telling me a team that finished 20+ points ahead of third place in a season that wasn't even finished are being beaten regularly by anybody?

This season, look at that table. Just 9 games gone and they have a +19 GD. And nobody has beaten them.

They're not the competition for anybody but Celtic. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GrahamH said:

I don’t think anybody is suggesting we should be winning the league. We should be able to compete in the odd one-off game though. Our record against them is deplorable.

I think its a mental thing with games against Rangers, we can't compete on budgets with them so they can buy better players etc, but so can Celtic and our record against them home and away over the same period we have failed to beat Rangers is reasonable.

I don't know what Barraclough said to the players before the playoff games in 2015 but that's what we need SR to be doing, as every time we play them now we seem to be beaten in our minds before the game starts.

14 minutes ago, Lan_Lad said:

Being THE ONLY team in the League not to beat Rangers in 18 fucking years is attitude. Livingston, Ross County even fucking Hamilton have beaten them recently. We continually fail to land a glove on them. Its fucking shameful, well it would be if a few of our players actually had any shame

• Like 1

Losing to Rangers is nothing new. Concern is that Rangers didn't have to be good to win today, simply not make any mistakes and wait for us to gift them goals. Again not particularly new but the lack of spark and reaction from us was alarming. Maybe a hangover from Thursday's exertions and travel, maybe the lack of atmosphere but alarming...

9 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Said it for weeks now Lamie is brutal should be nowhere near the team, but SR seems to think he can do a job. 

To be fair he looked OK at Livi in beside Gallagher so he may turn things round this season and prove me wrong but right now he needs dropped, problem is though who do we have to replace him, nobody. 

David Devine & Yusuf Hussein. There is no way in the world these lads are worse than Lamie. Lamie makes Tony Straker & Andy Roddie look like Maldini & Pirlo

Listening to Robbo spout the same old bollocks aftwr the game is just maddening. Talks a good game, but he is a snake oil salesman! 

His words mean fuck all when he refuses to address the coaching issues and drop the utter shite causing our poor results. 

• Thanks 1

On the bright side We have a good goalie and Watt had another decent game, working hard and holding up the ball but we Need the other forward to be helping too. Not getting as much out of Laing as I’d hoped and Long just seems to have an attitude issue although he did ok when he came on. Campbell badly needs the rest of the midfield to step up and contribute. At least you can always count 100% effort from Grimmy there’s a few players could learn from that. Thought McGuire looked worth a try in future games. Seedorf Done pretty well when he came on too. 

2 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Listening to Robbo spout the same old bollocks aftwr the game is just maddening. Talks a good game, but he is a snake oil salesman! 

His words mean fuck all when he refuses to address the coaching issues and drop the utter shite causing our poor results. 

Like any manager with a small squad in the situation after a heavy defeat, Robinson can't afford to hang people out to dry publicly as he'll have to rely on them going forward. Suspect he realises that two or three of the new signings haven't been good enough but saying so in public when he doesn't have alternatives isn't going to help...

1 minute ago, texanwellfan said:

On the bright side We have a good goalie and Watt had another decent game, working hard and holding up the ball but we Need the other forward to be helping too. Not getting as much out of Laing as I’d hoped and Long just seems to have an attitude issue although he did ok when he came on. Campbell badly needs the rest of the midfield to step up and contribute. At least you can always count 100% effort from Grimmy there’s a few players could learn from that. Thought McGuire looked worth a try in future games. Seedorf Done pretty well when he came on too. 

I feel for Watt. Works his arse off for nothing!

Carson was our MOTM by miles, and the fact he is having conceded 5 shows how shite we are. Absolute worldy in 40 seconds and another 2 cracking saves stopped it being REALLY embarrassing.

Maguire acquited himself well, pity he will be back on the bench next game

• Like 1

We really have to stop hiding behind lower Budgets, lesser quality players, expected results and referee bias. That has always been the case against the Old Firm..... and others.

But today was way beyond that. It was embarrassing, So many poor performances , players out of position or hiding, and in a formation that must have had Gerrard licking his lips when he saw it.  A formation that, not for the first time,  totally exposed our defensive weaknesses and played into the hands (no pun intended) of a team whose strength is attacking at pace down the outside. We might occasionally get away with it against lesser teams but we need to be realistic.  Many of our players are either not up to it or look uninterested. We are badly missing Donnelly and Carroll but our Manager and Coaches have had all season to work on that. 

Today was a day to shore up our structure, frustrate Rangers, build up some confidence and hopefully get something from the game. We might still have lost, but at least our opponents might have had to break sweat and put some thought onto how to break us down. it was all too easy for them.