Season 2020’21: Game 9: Rangers (H)

Andy_P

When you look at things in the round don’t think we are any worse than last year … 

Last year we got the rub of the green on a few occasions but they have went against us this year 

No one out with the Old Firm have turned us over

Lets look at the games we dropped points in 

Ross Co 1-0 give away stupid penalty then miss one  0pts could have been 3pts

Livingston 2-2  go 1-0 up then give another silly penalty  1pt could have been 3pts

Dundee Utd loose the game 1-0  gifted the goal bit of rub of the green should have been 1pt could have been 3pts

Hibs 0-0 played them off the park could have been 3pts instead of 1pt 

Hamilton 1-0 how we lost that game god only knows should have been 3pts

We could easily be 11 to 13 points better off which would see us sitting in 3rd place … … on such small margins define our season

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

2nd Rangers goal, I think people have been a bit harsh on Lamie to be honest.  Sure he gets done by Jones for pace but if someone is faster than you there isn't much you can do about it and if you actually look at it Jones has done the entire back 4 for pace.  Lamie is in the full back position but the entire 18 yard box is exposed cos no one else is matching the run either so it's easy for Jones to come inside and score.  In fact Lamie is a good yard or two further back than any one else in the back line and Mugabi is miles off. Not saying for a minute that Lamie hasn't been poor this season but it's too easy to pin the blame on him for that one. 

4th Rangers goal kinda falls into the same category.  Lamie has two Rangers attackers to pick up which obviously he can't.  He has a decision to make and I think he should close Itten and doesn't and gets his position wrong but for me that goal is down the midfield getting caught out and not picking up and sticking to runners.   Also Mugabi is pulled out of position again for this goal.  It's a great finish but Itten should not have the space he has more or less in our D........

Overall with out seeing the full game it looks like we've been done for pace all over the pitch.  Full backs, centre backs, midfielders.  Not sure if that is tiredness, laziness or just lack of pace in general but you'd maybe expect the manager to factor that in to our tactics which doesn't seem to have been done.

Agree with most of that. This particular game aside, we are continually guilty of not closing players down, in the way teams like Accies, St Johnstone and Ross County do. These teams and the better ones also seem to work harder than we do off the ball to close players down. To get a cross in or a shot on goal you are made to work hard. If you do manage to do that its hurried. Carson and our central defence need better protection.  Rarely is a soft goal simply down to one player, although individual blunders do happen of course. 

1 hour ago, stv said:

Threee away games in a row,in just over a week.  Two  away to european opposition , one exra time and penalties , one in Isreal in 30degree heat. No wonder we ran out of steam against Rangers.

Shame I mean some of us work 40 hours plus a week  ,that's what they get paid for . If there not fit to play 3 games in a short space of time at the start of the season  that's a management problem . Better just to say our players are on a different planet the planet shite 

17 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Shame I mean some of us work 40 hours plus a week  ,that's what they get paid for . If there not fit to play 3 games in a short space of time at the start of the season  that's a management problem . Better just to say our players are on a different planet the planet shite 

What do you think of the Aberdeen team ?

19 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

I would love to have Aldred back, thought he was immense.  I know I am in minority but I am not a massive Carroll fan but certainly better than Lamie and Mcginley.  Dunne has pace but that is all. We all know about his distribution 

we'd all love Aldred back.  Carroll was ok defensively but also gave us options moving forward.

Dunne is done.   Nice fella but can't see him kicking a ball again. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, livivoice said:

Sorry pal, Maguire's chance as a centre back has long gone. He even failed to impress as a CB when on loan at QOS. 

His only hope imho is as a back up midfielder and even at that I have serious doubts.

For our defence to improve we will have to wait on Carroll' s return to LB which will allow Mc Ginley/ Dunne or eventually Donnelly to slip into left centre defence. Neither Mugabie ( admittedly improving) nor Lamie are dependable or skillful enough.

Now, if we could just get the phone number of a certain Tom Alfred!!

I like home grown players. I've only really seen MaGuire a few times and he looked slow as a centre half.  My frustration with Robbo is he thinks well let's see if he can play in another position and make it work.  It rarely works. 

We should have let him go last season.  We're only now considering him due to very poor transfer window . 

3 hours ago, wellwell91 said:

When you look at things in the round don’t think we are any worse than last year … 

Last year we got the rub of the green on a few occasions but they have went against us this year 

No one out with the Old Firm have turned us over

Lets look at the games we dropped points in 

Ross Co 1-0 give away stupid penalty then miss one  0pts could have been 3pts

Livingston 2-2  go 1-0 up then give another silly penalty  1pt could have been 3pts

Dundee Utd loose the game 1-0  gifted the goal bit of rub of the green should have been 1pt could have been 3pts

Hibs 0-0 played them off the park could have been 3pts instead of 1pt 

Hamilton 1-0 how we lost that game god only knows should have been 3pts

We could easily be 11 to 13 points better off which would see us sitting in 3rd place … … on such small margins define our season

If my Aunt had balls she'd be my Uncle!

Lets ignore how we ended last season and the issues that were very visible. Wipe the slate clean and start afresh from May of this year

Robinson made a big thing of the defensive issues we had, the striking problems we had and how correct & early recruitment was a priority. He was backed to the hilt by the board, and his new players all came in early. He was given weeks of pre season to gel the team, and we are now 2 months into the actual season and how does it look?

We STILL struggle to score, have no shape or purpose going forward and look utterly toothless. Unfortunately Joe Lewis cant play for every team. 

We STILL have a poor defence, if anything its actually worse than the end of last season

We STILL cant defend crosses into our box

Our own attacking set pieces are STILL comically bad

We STILL dont know the best starting 11, best formation and are a badly organized shambles! 

Our squad is evidently a lot weaker than last season and our lauded new signings look like some of the poorest players weve had in a long time

We have now sold all of our best Young talent and have NOTHING LEFT in the Academy, so no back up there!

We are giving away penalties at a rate of 1 EVERY MATCH. After 9 fucking matches! 

We are making the same poor decisions and the same mistakes every week. Where is the accountability? Where is the leadership? Where are the consequences? Why, after 12 weeks does the manager not know his best 11 or the most effective formation? Why is our Plan B "stick on Seedorf & hope he has magically learned to play football"?

I understand the manager shouldnt publicly crucify players, but when the same players are making the same mistakes or putting in the same poor performances every single game and still getting picked the following week, where is the incentive to change their ways? Why cant Maguire get a start? Or Devine? They cant possibly be any worse than what we currently have!

The only thing saving us at the moment is that the SPL is as poor as I can ever remember it. The Rangers result yesterday doesnt bother me 1 iota, neither does the Beer Sheva result in midweek. What does bother me is that those teams didnt need to put any effort in to beat us, they just needed to wait until our inevitable implosion. They never got out of second gear because they never needed to. We should be pushing these teams and making them use their undoubted quality to beat us, not giving them penalties for nothing and not bothering to mark or follow Attackers. We SHOULD be learning from our mistakes and cutting penalties out, not actively going out of our way to concede MORE. 

The players have a lot to answer for (Carson, Campbell & Watt excepted) but the biggest issue is how poorly coached we clearly are and that is 100% on the manager.

We know we dont have money and cant afford even Hibs / Aberdeen level of signings. So how do we combat that? By making our set pieces count, being a fit, well organised and hungry team and being defensively sound. The management team drill the players and organize us so that we MAKE teams have to break us down. But that isnt happening, and if its not happening after 3 months working with the players are Steve Robinson & Keith Lasley really the men who can make it happen?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

I like home grown players. I've only really seen MaGuire a few times and he looked slow as a centre half.  My frustration with Robbo is he thinks well let's see if he can play in another position and make it work.  It rarely works. 

We should have let him go last season.  We're only now considering him due to very poor transfer window . 

Agreed,it would have benefitted both parties if maguire had moved on,giving him a new deal and 2 years at that,seemed strange but he must be rated enough but yet he's hardly seen.we have 4 games coming up against teams we really needing to be taking points from,i would be happy enough if maguire got a decent amount of playing time in they games but that's mainly down to the dross that's been playing and not because i expect him to be an answer to our problems.like i said earlier in this thread,if maguire is in the managers plans then get him in the team and not just bring him on as a substitute when other players have already let us down.

37 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Lets ignore how we ended last season and the issues that were very visible. Wipe the slate clean and start afresh from May of this year

Robinson made a big thing of the defensive issues we had, the striking problems we had and how correct & early recruitment was a priority. He was backed to the hilt by the board, and his new players all came in early. He was given weeks of pre season to gel the team, and we are now 2 months into the actual season and how does it look?

We STILL struggle to score, have no shape or purpose going forward and look utterly toothless. Unfortunately Joe Lewis cant play for every team. 

We STILL have a poor defence, if anything its actually worse than the end of last season

We STILL dont know the best starting 11, best formation and are a badly organized shambles! 

Our squad is evidently a lot weaker than last season and our lauded new signings look like some of the poorest players weve had in a long time

We have now sold all of our best Young talent and have NOTHING LEFT in the Academy, so no back up there!

We are giving away penalties at a rate of 1 EVERY MATCH. After 9 fucking matches! 

We are making the same poor decisions and the same mistakes every week. Where is the accountability? Where is the leadership? Where are the consequences? Why, after 12 weeks does the manager not know his best 11 or the most effective formation? Why is our Plan B "stick on Seedorf & hope he has magically learned to play football"?

I understand the manager shouldnt publicly crucify players, but when the same players are making the same mistakes or putting in the same poor performances every single game and still getting picked the following week, where is the incentive to change their ways? Why cant Maguire get a start? Or Devine? They cant possibly be any worse than what we currently have!

The only thing saving us at the moment is that the SPL is as poor as I can ever remember it. The Rangers result yesterday doesnt bother me 1 iota, neither does the Beer Sheva result in midweek. What does bother me is that those teams didnt need to put any effort in to beat us, they just needed to wait until our inevitable implosion. They never got out of second gear because they never needed to. We should be pushing these teams and making them use their undoubted quality to beat us, not giving them penalties for nothing and not bothering to mark or follow Attackers. We SHOULD be learning from our mistakes and cutting penalties out, not actively going out of our way to concede MORE. 

The players have a lot to answer for (Carson, Campbell & Watt excepted) but the biggest issue is how poorly coached we clearly are and that is 100% on the manager.

We know we dont have money and cant afford even Hibs / Aberdeen level of signings. So how do we combat that? By making our set pieces count, being a fit, well organised and hungry team and being defensively sound. The management team drill the players and organize us so that we MAKE teams have to break us down. But that isnt happening, and if its not happening after 3 months working with the players are Steve Robinson & Keith Lasley really the men who can make it happen?

Hit the nail on the head with that post all things point tae Robinson being sacked the unfortunate thing is the compensation he will walk away with so the board won't sack him shite bags 

Just now, ropy said:

Has Maguires’s increased playing time been because we see him as a replacement for Campbell?  Not like for like I think.

I would think he's more of a short term replacement for Donnelly. Crawford to replace Campbell if he goes. Hopefully Dean Cornelius will get a chance. Just my take on it though.

Threee away games in a row,in just over a week.  Two  away to european opposition , one exra time and penalties , one in Isreal in 30degree heat. No wonder we ran out of steam against Rangers.
So why didn't Robbo change things up a bit more? Does he really know how to use a squad? He always likes to get speedy players in but rarely seems to use them to their best ability. Think the rangers game would have been a good chance to change things a bit, rest some guys, give that lad Crawford a runout etc etc. But, nah.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shaka said:

So beating Aberdeen 3 nil at Pittodrie was solely down to their goalie?

If only the team were as consistent as your negative dreary posts.

It's not been great but why dont you see how next 2 games go against teams of a similar stature ...if we were to get beaten in them two, maybe your points will have some credence .

Looking back to Bevis Mugabi's penalty incident, I wonder why Scott Arfield ducked just as the ball was coming to him. He knew Mugabi was just behind him. Was it a deliberate or perhaps pe-arranged ploy to do this as the cross was coming in?   Other players would be primed to claim? Maybe this is something we can learn from and use. 

If so, was it simulation on Arfield's part? Probably not but certainly being very streetwise and something other teams will learn from. Throw in crosses at chest head height, get in front of the defender (with no hope of winning the ball) and just duck. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Looking back to Bevis Mugabi's penalty incident, I wonder why Scott Arfield ducked just as the ball was coming to him. He knew Mugabi was just behind him. Was it a deliberate or perhaps pe-arranged ploy to do this as the cross was coming in?   Other players would be primed to claim? Maybe this is something we can learn from and use. 

If so, was it simulation on Arfield's part? Probably not but certainly being very streetwise and something other teams will learn from. Throw in crosses at chest head height, get in front of the defender (with no hope of winning the ball) and just duck. 

I remember thinking that at the time, couldn't decide if it was a pathetic attempt at a header or a dive by Arfield. It reminds me from that rule a few years ago where he penalty was given if the defender had his hands on his opponent in the box, I think it was Madden that gave three for St Johnstone in one match, bit that rule vanished quickly, suspect this will be similar.

3 hours ago, Kat said:

I remember thinking that at the time, couldn't decide if it was a pathetic attempt at a header or a dive by Arfield. It reminds me from that rule a few years ago where he penalty was given if the defender had his hands on his opponent in the box, I think it was Madden that gave three for St Johnstone in one match, bit that rule vanished quickly, suspect this will be similar.

I think that was tosser Thomson.

15 minutes ago, well_said said:

I think that was tosser Thomson.

It was deffo Madden, gave three spot kicks in a 20 minute spell. Glad Thomson's retired nevertheless.

It's quite annoying though, I know it's going back a few years now but when we played Rangers in a season opening, Hodson blocked a cross with an outstretched arm in front of Madden who was not interested, I don't want to have that Old Firm paranoia but you can't help feel he would have been more forgiving down the other end if the roles were reversed.

1 hour ago, Kat said:

I see in England that referees have been instructed to be more lenient in regards to that new handball rule. I'm sure we will follow suit soon.

Which will surely just result in even more controversial decisions... at least right now, it's pretty obvious what's a penalty and what isn't.