Season 2020’21: Game 27:Kilmarnock (A)

Andy_P

What a win that was! To play so poorly and win is remarkable.  Beat Accies on Saturday and I think we can start looking up! 

Alexander is either really good or really lucky! Hope it’s both, but time will tell! Can’t say I’m loving the tactic of standing off wide players and letting them sling it in our box and back us to win the header every time, but it’s worked in a few games so far to be fair.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, real dosser said:

never said we played well but there are people on here who expect us to play total football when our objective is to stay in the division.

Whether you like the style or not I'll happily take s***e performances from now till the end of the season if we keep getting 3 points and then see what Alexander does with the squad for next season.

Yeah, I'll happily take the 3 points, whatever the performance. Hopefully, if we can pick enough wins up, we'll have some breathing space before the end of the season and it's not do or die stuff. Be nice to see what a wee run and a bit of confidence does for some of our guys.

2 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Yeah, I'll happily take the 3 points, whatever the performance. Hopefully, if we can pick enough wins up, we'll have some breathing space before the end of the season and it's not do or die stuff. Be nice to see what a wee run and a bit of confidence does for some of our guys.

50% of success in football is confidence. We started the season dominating possession but could not put the ball in the net. The confidence slowly slipped away and decent players started looking poor. The main part of this squad finished third last season, they did not suddenly become one of the worst group of players in the last 50 years and they have proven that in the last half dozen games. A decent keeper and Carroll back has made a difference, the return of Donnelly will be another boost.

• Like 1

Fair to say a better result than performance. Fair to say I don't really care too much about that!

That's maybe not actually fair as certainly defensively we for the most part pretty solid.

Bit of a weak start and it took us a good while to do anything much at all offensively yet strangely enough we had arguably the best chance of the half with Cole's fairly weak effort after Watt's lay-off.  Kilmarnock looked the better team and a bit like at Dingwall previously you hoped for something better in the second half.

It gradually got a bit better though not to perhaps to the levels we've seen in spells in recent games.  Cole forced a fine save from their keeper and it was a lovely bit of football and finish for what proved to be the winner.  Thereafter it was down to the defence to see the game out which they did so generally pretty well.

In many respects I thought it was something of a role -reversal to many of our games earlier in the season where we were the dominant side, had most of the ball, most of the corners and more efforts, but still managed to lose. Nice to be on the right side of that for once.

Above all though it's such a vital three points given the respective placings of the side beforehand.  It makes that league table look a whole lot better with the potential to improve on it still.  I think we are good bit from the finished article but there are pleasing signs.  It would be tempting to start to get ahead of ourselves and say we're going to finish here or we're aiming for there. But as we slowly tick off decent results against those around us like coming back from Paisley with a point. three from Dingwall, three from Kilmarnock and beating Dundee Utd at home there is no reason not to have confidence that we have the measure of the teams in our half of the division.  And we have another opportunity to re-affirm that as soon as the weekend.

• Like 1

Being pragmatic, when you are under pressure at the wrong end of the league the result is what counts.

Alexander has settled on a playing style and formation which the players  seem to understand and are comfortable with and, unlike Stephen Robinson, he does not chop and change either the personnel or the formation. That's bound to install self-belief and confidence in the players.

Edited by El Grew
Spelling

Killie were well up for the game, and for most of the game looked the better team up until the final delivery.  However, they rarely got in behind us, and they generated mostly half chances, while we had 3 clear cut chances to score despite our disjointed play. As said elsewhere in this thread, we've been on the other end of games like this this season, so it was nice to see us turn that around. 

Everybody worked hard in difficult conditions, and it's great to see Campbell get on the scoresheet again and Lamie and Mugabi having another solid game. 

Really hard working performance and on the whole, I thought we defended pretty well. 

Our use of the ball for the most part was really poor and it was hard to say whether that was because too many of our players were having an off day, or whether the pitch was just so poor, or both. Certainly there were plenty players on both sides losing their footing and some of the bounces and rolls on the pitch were ridiculous at times. 

That said, it should be the same for both teams and Killie certainly made much better use of the ball than we did without cutting us open at all.  In fact we had much the better chances.

Collum didnt help the flow of the game with his over fussy refereeing. He never seems to give any marginal decisions our way and his booking of SOD for slipping is a joke.

Its a great 3 points, especially given all the circumstances surrounding the postponement.  There is a certain delicious irony about taking them having played poorly.

Id love to pump the Accies on Saturday, but in truth, Id happily take the same again.

44 minutes ago, Stu92 said:

And you could put that down the red card. I find it quite telling that Polworth hasn’t been in the team since. 

To be fair he’s keeping a winning team which is fair enough, I also wonder if he may start to drift from a first 11 start. When Donnelly returns that’s more competition.

A great result last night and very satisfying after the original postponement. It was a very important win and the players showed bottle. As others have said it was all about the result and not the performance. GA has certainly steadied the ship and we do look more solid now albeit with plenty of scope to im prove. The shocking pitch would not have helped anyone trying to play football, thats for sure.

Performance wise, our possession stats at 41% were once again poor but thats something that can be workerd on, if not now then in the longer term. Killie may have had the bulk of the possession but they were toothless up front and/or maybe our central defence coped with anything they threw at us. Although we were on the backfoot for much of the game, we created the better chances and took one. 

Good to see Lamie & Mugabi being dominant at the back. Our goal was well worked, starting from Carroll, who saw an opportunity, through Watt to campbell who finished well, again.

A good evening, now lets see if we can maintain this run.  

Great win all things considered. 

I’ve always felt these plastic pitches have brought the worst out of us over recent seasons. I’ve yet to see a good game on these surfaces so for me last night was about getting the points by whatever means necessary and that’s what we did. 

Also feel Lamie had another decent game last night, he’s been an easy target for some but credit where credit is due for his display last night. 

A good and vital win in what was a turgid game. 

Killie saw a lot of the ball, but did little with it whilst we created the best chances with much more efficient use of possession.(Cole has to score and the move for Watt's effort was brilliant)

Gollum gave us absolutely nothing as usual.

I was slightly surprised by Wright's post-match assessment, but I suppose he is only saying what you expect new managers to say.  Granted he's hardly going to come out proclaim Killie were shite and should have lost by more, but I thought he was vastly overselling their performance.  He certainly has his work cut out to improve their offensive play otherwise they could be in a lot of bother this season.

2 hours ago, Burn_Broomfield said:

I was slightly surprised by Wright's post-match assessment, but I suppose he is only saying what you expect new managers to say.  Granted he's hardly going to come out proclaim Killie were shite and should have lost by more, but I thought he was vastly overselling their performance.  He certainly has his work cut out to improve their offensive play otherwise they could be in a lot of bother this season.

From what I saw last night, he has pretty much the same job to do as GA did when he came in. Make them harder to beat first, then worry about where the goals are coming from.

it was like being savaged by a sheep - they just didn't look dangerous. 

Someone else mentioned last night it being very similar to us for the first 10 games of the season. Lots of possession but no bite. 

Much prefer us on the counter and looking dangerous - just wish we could pass the ball.  Kelly was able to ping it about - wish more could follow his example