Season 2020’21: Game 27:Kilmarnock (A)

Andy_P

9 minutes ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

Dose that mean 3 goals 3 points for us?:scratchhead:

Looks a possibility going by the SFA statement...

The SPFL Board met this afternoon and has agreed to postpone the fixture whilst the position is investigated. An investigation will now be carried out by the SPFL to ascertain the circumstances leading to this postponement.

A spokesman for the SPFL said: “No new date for this fixture has been set, pending the outcome of the SPFL investigation.”

1 hour ago, Heisenboab said:

The SPFL Board met this afternoon and has agreed to postpone the fixture whilst the position is investigated. An investigation will now be carried out by the SPFL to ascertain the circumstances leading to this postponement.

A spokesman for the SPFL said: “No new date for this fixture has been set, pending the outcome of the SPFL investigation.”

If these poker night rumours are true I can see us getting the 3 points.

27 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

If these poker night rumours are true I can see us getting the 3 points.

I don't see why not especially if you read the full statement on the BBC web site

It remains unclear what will happen to Kilmarnock's next two figures - away to Falkirk and at home to Dunfermline in the Scottish League Cup - which fall within the self-isolation period.

If they are unable or unwilling to field a team in those games, they would forfeit the match 3-0.

unable or unwilling are the key phrases, if thats the case in the League Cup,  why should it be different in the premiership?

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

unable or unwilling are the key phrases, if thats the case in the League Cup,  why should it be different in the premiership?

Just my thoughts but I think the SPFL is shitting  itself to award the points and set a precedent. 
If this was to happen to either of the OF in the next month or two when they had two or three games to play in the 14 day period leading to them losing 6 to 9 points it would just about hand the league to the other team - imagine the fucking meltdown! 
on the other hand postponing the games could see the other team creating a gap which if the league is cut short again would again hand the league to the other team - again total fucking meltdown! 
Best of all, if both teams had to isolate and then say Aberdeen & Hibs go top two then the league is called they would get the two European champions league spots next season - total meltdown from both the OF!! Now that would be a laugh :)

• Like 1

Havent heard this poker night rumour, but if true it should be a 2-0 walkover for us. They knew the rules!! Taking the piss if they have done something that daft

Unfortunately as posted above the SPFL will do evetything to avoid making a decision so as to not set a precedent that could affect one of the Old Firm

3 hours ago, Heisenboab said:

They'll need good luck to get to the bottom of this but there's no way the fixture will be cancelled and we'll be awarded the 3 points. 

Apparently Kilmarnock were advised to self isolate  their squad by their local "Problem Assessment Group", whatever that is. They were part of that group. Therefore the SPFL had little choice but to agree to Killie's request. 

Given this postponement and the recent case involving St Mirren we now need  consistency from NHS Scotland and the SPFL.

• Thanks 1

Different league of course, but Danny Johnson missed his dream tie against Spurs recently when Orient forfeited their tie due to 17 players testing positive.

The Premiership teams agreed to a full schedule on the understanding that there was almost zero flexibility to accommodate postponements. I don't think it would be unreasonable to start awarding walkovers, but only if teams had been warned in advance that would be the policy.

I agree with calling the match off. I'm not sure that I agree with the points being awarded,  regardless of how the killie players ended up infected. 

Whatever is decided, it will be worded in a way that gives the OF an out if needed. Considering we stared the season with all this shit known beforehand, the rules for situations like this  really should have been clear and simple. 

58 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Different league of course, but Danny Johnson missed his dream tie against Spurs recently when Orient forfeited their tie due to 17 players testing positive.

The Premiership teams agreed to a full schedule on the understanding that there was almost zero flexibility to accommodate postponements. I don't think it would be unreasonable to start awarding walkovers, but only if teams had been warned in advance that would be the policy.

Nah, awarding walkovers in a league fucks the entire thing. While it punishes the 'perpetrator', it's gives a random unfair advantage to the other team over all the other teams in the league. It's entirely possible teams could end up with 6 - 9 points unearned points at the end of the season just by the luck of when they were due to play certain teams. It disadvantages all the other teams through no fault of their own. 

The reason it's more acceptable in cup competitions is while it gives one team an advantage (they progress to the next round without kicking a ball), it doesn't disadvantage anyone other than the team that's forfeited the game. It's similar to why intentionally fielding a weakened team in the league is an offence but not if you do it in the cups. 

I know we're now at a disadvantage having to squeeze this game in at a later stage, but assuming the Killie players have all behaved themselves it's no different to postponement because of the weather or floodlight failure. That's life. 

The problem is that if things like this keep happening all we're doing is saving up a "calling the league" situation again in May.  Infection rates are increasing, not decreasing, so it's likely we are going to see more and more call-offs.

24 minutes ago, weeyin said:

The problem is that if things like this keep happening all we're doing is saving up a "calling the league" situation again in May.  Infection rates are increasing, not decreasing, so it's likely we are going to see more and more call-offs.

Possibly, but isn't calling the league and going by average points still fairer than piling on points that teams didn't actually earn?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CoF said:

Possibly, but isn't calling the league and going by average points still fairer than piling on points that teams didn't actually earn?

If you are awarded a tie 3-0, you have earned it , as you have turned up to the game with a team ready to play, as per the rules.

We have no idea yet how the Killie  players got infected but hypothetically say 1 or all 6 of them broke the current rules , ie out getting mad with it, they are then told to isolate and as a result they are then unable to fulfil their fixture, so by the rules the other team should be awarded the tie.

The results of the SPFL enquiry will make interesting reading

1 hour ago, CoF said:

Nah, awarding walkovers in a league fucks the entire thing. While it punishes the 'perpetrator', it's gives a random unfair advantage to the other team over all the other teams in the league. It's entirely possible teams could end up with 6 - 9 points unearned points at the end of the season just by the luck of when they were due to play certain teams. It disadvantages all the other teams through no fault of their own. 

The reason it's more acceptable in cup competitions is while it gives one team an advantage (they progress to the next round without kicking a ball), it doesn't disadvantage anyone other than the team that's forfeited the game. It's similar to why intentionally fielding a weakened team in the league is an offence but not if you do it in the cups. 

I know we're now at a disadvantage having to squeeze this game in at a later stage, but assuming the Killie players have all behaved themselves it's no different to postponement because of the weather or floodlight failure. That's life. 

I think this is spot on. And if there was no forfeiting of games as a result of Aberdeen and Celtic players blatant disregard of agreed practice, how can you punish Kilmarnock......no matter how the infection was caught? And I for one am delighted that Accies in Aberdeen's case and St Mirren (I think) in respect of Celtic are not sitting with an extra, unearned on the pitch, 3 points. Our League survival might be tough enough without the lottery of who gets CoVid and who does not. In truth Aberdeen and Celtic were punished, financially, which I think is reasonable as it punishes only them and not others who could be adversely affected by rivals being awarded league points. Then again forfeiture might be our only hope of defeating Rangers.

St Mirren are the team which I think has a valid complaint and who should be demanding answers.. And we still don't know what the criteria is for cancelling games. Even now.  Is it one player down, three, six? Or does your former manager need to be in charge of Scotland? Is the decision made by the local Health Board?  That criteria should have been established and made known prior to a ball being kicked. But then again the people in charge of our game are not famous for being open and forward thinking.

The contrast to cup games is a good point.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

If you are awarded a tie 3-0, you have earned it , as you have turned up to the game with a team ready to play, as per the rules.

We have no idea yet how the Killie  players got infected but hypothetically say 1 or all 6 of them broke the current rules , ie out getting mad with it, they are then told to isolate and as a result they are then unable to fulfil their fixture, so by the rules the other team should be awarded the tie.

The results of the SPFL enquiry will make interesting reading

Working on the assumption the Killie players followed the rules, are you suggesting the same rule applies to all games cancelled outwith a clubs control? Floodlight failure, pitch flooding, , snow? Because that's exactly what some people are suggesting - 3 points to us regardless of whether this is Killie's fault. 

Even if players are to blame, I think we need to separate the punishment of the offending club and the opposition gaining from their offence. There's something completely unfair about a team dropping down a place in the league through no fault of their own because another team were awarded 3 points without kicking a ball. That could be the difference between relegation, europe and the title. Last season was a disaster for sporting fairness, I think we need to find a way to do better this year.

I know there's probably no completely fair solution, only a least unfair one. The only solution off the top of my head is points deductions for clubs who are proved to be at fault. That way they are rightly disadvantaged without one individual club being advantaged. Unfortunately, the SPFL have set a precedent already this season in how they dealt with Aberdeen and Celtic. 

Maybe I'm wrong but I really can't see the SPFL investigation throwing up anything untoward. In the case ofthe  Aberdeen and Celtic players, they were spotted by members of the public breaking the rules. Unless a member of the public has witnessed Killie players doing something similar then this will go nowhere. 

18 hours ago, Heisenboab said:

Seen this mentioned. Any idea on the details?

If that was true , it could have bigger ramifications than us getting 3 points

Nicola Sturgeon could put the boot into football again ... remember her yellow card statement?

As someone said at the time if it was a group of lawyers for example, would she threaten the law society??

Anyway hopefully its unfounded rumour and we crack on.

• Confused 1

• Andy_P changed the title to Season 2020’21: Game 27:Kilmarnock (A)