Happy birthday to a Well legend

SteelmaninOZ

On 10/5/2020 at 9:42 AM, The African said:

Rangers, cheating the hell out of us in two of the featured games, are the complete shite stained bastard offspring of Satan.  

Did you miss the bit where wee Tam McLean was clattered, no foul given and Motherwell scored from it?

3 hours ago, Winning by Name said:

I don't think there has been a pairing that has come remotely close

Agreed. It's a pity no footage seems to have survived of the Dundee 3 Motherwell 6 match on 25/10/75 because, if I remember correctly, each of Willie P's goals that day was from a Bobby Graham pass (incidentally, Gordon Strachan was playing and looked about eleven). Any old-timers out there who remember it as I do?

For me, WP had the amazing ability to  score even if he sclaffed or shinned the ball and he scored a lot of goals for Dundee Utd and Hearts too w/o Bobby Graham, whom I thought was just about the best I've seen for vision and passing (I never saw Pat Quinn).

35 minutes ago, Happy Dosser said:

Agreed. It's a pity no footage seems to have survived of the Dundee 3 Motherwell 6 match on 25/10/75 because, if I remember correctly, each of Willie P's goals that day was from a Bobby Graham pass (incidentally, Gordon Strachan was playing and looked about eleven). Any old-timers out there who remember it as I do?

Yes I was there and remember it well. Really was some game and some football. We played like clockwork as almost everything fell into place. Dundee’s 3 goals have given generations of younger fans the wrong impression. We absolutely scudded them and 7 -0 wouldn’t have been unjust. 

Pettigrew and Graham were an amazing pairing but were probably overshadowed by Ferrier and Stevenson. Very few, if any, posters will have seen them in action; they were true giants of British football.

10 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Yes I was there and remember it well. Really was some game and some football. We played like clockwork as almost everything fell into place. Dundee’s 3 goals have given generations of younger fans the wrong impression. We absolutely scudded them and 7 -0 wouldn’t have been unjust. 

Pettigrew and Graham were an amazing pairing but were probably overshadowed by Ferrier and Stevenson. Very few, if any, posters will have seen them in action; they were true giants of British football.

I think Stevenson and Ferrier will be beyond just about anyone's recall now but if Arsenal offered Sailor Hunter a blank cheque for the two of them, as the story goes, they must have been phenomenal.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, weeyin said:

Not only that, but despite basically being friendlies, they were still competitive.

That they were, I was at the same fixture in 1978, the Willie Donachie own goal game, and all I remember is Gemmill and Yorath kicking seven shades out of each other. Happy days and not a booking in site. :blink: