Betfred League Cup Campaign 2020'21

Andy_P

To assist us with our glorious European campaign (ahem...) we're excused the delights of the Betfred Group Stages this season, but the fun and games kick off this evening.

We've developed something of a penchant for lifting trophies with a one in the year (1931'32, 1950'51, 1951'52, 1981'82, 1990'91) we surely couldn't repeat the trick in 2021.  Could we...?

• 1 month later...

So the draw for the last 16 is on Sunday.

Which of the toughest non seeds will we draw this year whilst Rangers get Ayr at home and Celtic Dunfermline at Parkhead.

More to the point I see Hamilton lost 2-1 at Stranraer tonight. Probably not a 1st 11 but after that and their 8 goal pumping at the weekend can someone explain how we routinely lose to them every season including this one !!!

4 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

More to the point I see Hamilton lost 2-1 at Stranraer tonight. Probably not a 1st 11 but after that and their 8 goal pumping at the weekend can someone explain how we routinely lose to them every season including this one !!!

I would say it happens because we allow it to turn into a game that they can win. Generally, we are a better quality team from front to back, but they somehow manage to drag us down to their level, then beat us through their greater experience there. Throw in their abomination of a playing surface and it suddenly isn't so difficult to see why. Of course, if we can see it, it begs the question of why our coaches and players cannot do something about it. I am sure they are trying.

2 hours ago, The African said:

I would say it happens because we allow it to turn into a game that they can win. Generally, we are a better quality team from front to back, but they somehow manage to drag us down to their level, then beat us through their greater experience there. Throw in their abomination of a playing surface and it suddenly isn't so difficult to see why. Of course, if we can see it, it begs the question of why our coaches and players cannot do something about it. I am sure they are trying.

Our record at their place is actually pretty good, we reserve our worst performances for Fir Park.

Accies have 2 goals most seasons.

1. Avoid relegation

2. Beat us at least once

The derby is a much bigger game to them than it is to us. While it's always good to win (especially when, like me, you lived in Hamilton for about 20 years and a lot of mates as Accies fans), I suspect most fans see wins against teams like Hearts or Aberdeen as more important. Part of that is due to the fact that its only recently we've been in the same league on a semi-regular basis. When I started following Motherwell in the early 70s I don't think we played them until our relegation in the 80s.

Plus, of course, the old cliché of  "form going out the window" in derbies is true.

Our record against them isn't too bad, but they are always going to raise their game.

45 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Accies have 2 goals most seasons.

1. Avoid relegation

2. Beat us at least once

The derby is a much bigger game to them than it is to us. While it's always good to win (especially when, like me, you lived in Hamilton for about 20 years and a lot of mates as Accies fans), I suspect most fans see wins against teams like Hearts or Aberdeen as more important. Part of that is due to the fact that its only recently we've been in the same league on a semi-regular basis. When I started following Motherwell in the early 70s I don't think we played them until our relegation in the 80s.

Plus, of course, the old cliché of  "form going out the window" in derbies is true.

Our record against them isn't too bad, but they are always going to raise their game.

We did play them in the Lanarkshire Cup a few times 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/54888577

Last 16 is settled, not quite there with seeds

Okay, here are the "known knowns" to paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld.

Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Motherwell will enter the competition in tomorrow's draw as seeded sides.

Livingston, Dunfermline and Hearts will also be seeded.

Non-seeded group winners (at the moment) are Ross County, St Johnstone, St Mirren and Ayr United.

Alloa, Falkirk and Arbroath are going through as best runners-up.

Then it's down to that match at Easter Road tomorrow to resolve the issue of the last seed, but both Hibs and Dundee are going through before a ball is kicked. A winner over 90 minutes in that one would be seeded, as would Dundee if they take a penalties bonus.

If Hibs prevail by way of a shootout, then I reckon Ross County will be the final seeded side

1 minute ago, C&A not the shop said:

Not exactly an exciting draw. One of the worst we could have got. Ah well at least we're at home..... and we cannae go.

Its a good draw, St Johnstone are murder, maybe Arbroath or Ayr might have been a better, draw but we have beaten them already this season so nothing to fear.

On 11/11/2020 at 9:34 PM, Welldaft Mk1 said:

So the draw for the last 16 is on Sunday.

Which of the toughest non seeds will we draw this year whilst Rangers get Ayr at home and Celtic Dunfermline.

I was wrong. Rangers got Falkirk away. 
We however did get St Johnstone. So 3 years seeded and we get Ross County, Hearts and St Johnstone.
For once give us a team from another division. 

I genuinely could not give less of a f*ck about this cup.  

Even though we can't go it would have been nice for a little variation that a Falkirk, Ayr, Alloa (albeit I can remember League Cup exits to them all) and Arbroath would have offered. It's rarely a good thing either when Cup draws throw up double headers against your opponents. 

Still, it is what it is and I'm happier it's at home than in Perth.

I'll not be paying personally.  After buying our season tickets, I've not got a great interest in spending more money on live feeds as they are invariably shite. 

Truth be told,  I've lost interest in watching the games via streams.  The occasional Sky live game, drubbings aside, has been refreshing in comparison, but shite all the same.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, GazzyB said:

The comments on Facebook were quite scathing about having to pay for the cup game. Seems fair to me tbh.

Cup games are never part of season ticket packages (or overseas MFC TV packages) so I'm not surprised this is PPV 

In fact, for me, it's an opportunity to see a game that typically isn't broadcast.

Don't they also need to split the gate money in these ties?

Considering that all the season ticket holders get all the league streams for free, paying for the odd cup game seems reasonable and I'm happy to throw the club a few extra quid every now and then.

Also, the stream last week was rock solid. 

• Like 1