Betfred League Cup Campaign 2020'21

Andy_P

18 minutes ago, MFCL84 said:

I have to agree with this, but I do think that Motherwell seem to be technically poorer than most of the other teams in the league. Just watching that game today it was clear that St Johnstone can pass and move better and do so with more pace than Mothewell. Our game is typified by slow movement of the ball, a lack of movement off the ball and multi-touch/mis-control. All of this gives the opposition more time to react and organise making it very difficult for us to create meaningful chances for our front players, and when those slow passes are made in a backwards direction, it places pressure on our back line ultimately resulting to the loss of goals. Basically, we need to be technically better.

Absolutely spot on! We look lethargic on and off the ball, lacking any idea of what we need to do. We have professional footballers who can't control a simple pass to feet. The amount of times the ball bounces off our man and into the possession of the other team is criminal. I never expect us to play like Barca but fs we're difficult to watch. We don't play football, we're turning up hoping the opposition will fuck up and gift us a goal. 

33 minutes ago, weeyin said:

The last 2 games have proved, if there was any doubt, how indispensable Campbell is in our midfield.

The drive and energy he provides is something we have severely lacked in his absence.

That’s on the management team for sure. Playing with the shape changed in Campbell’s absence and expecting a different answer was folly.

Campbell won’t be around forever.

23 minutes ago, MFCL84 said:

I have to agree with this, but I do think that Motherwell seem to be technically poorer than most of the other teams in the league. Just watching that game today it was clear that St Johnstone can pass and move better and do so with more pace than Mothewell. Our game is typified by slow movement of the ball, a lack of movement off the ball and multi-touch/mis-control. All of this gives the opposition more time to react and organise making it very difficult for us to create meaningful chances for our front players, and when those slow passes are made in a backwards direction, it places pressure on our back line ultimately resulting to the loss of goals. Basically, we need to be technically better.

There are obviously one to one discussions as players have said that they learn hints from the manager.  He should tell them individually how to pass.  Play it in front of your man, if your man is on the move play it into his stride not to where you last saw him.  Big Dec can make great headed clearances but when he is in the opposition box a different technique is required.  Suggest to him to head it downwards perhaps.  Just give them appropriate coaching.

It's all so predictable. Slow play from defence, lack of options and movement in midfield, strikers feeding of scraps and long balls, hit and hope long throws. Nothing seems to change.....ever! St Johnstone are bang average and we made them look decent. I could single out individual performances and errors but the problems with this current team run deeper than that. What happens Mon-Fri??

11 minutes ago, ropy said:

He should tell them individually how to pass.  Play it in front of your man, if your man is on the move play it into his stride not to where you last saw him

They should be well beyond that by now, those basics are taught at grassroots. These are pros we're talking about. If they can't do the basics like control and pass by now they shouldn't be playing the game, certainly not at this level anyway. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wellup83 said:

They should be well beyond that by now, those basics are taught at grassroots. These are pros we're talking about. If they can't do the basics like control and pass by now they shouldn't be playing the game, certainly not at this level anyway. 

I have to agree. The fact that this forum is giving simple advice on how to pass to a teammate indicates just how poor the team's general level of footballing competence has fallen. That level really shouldn't be what we see each week at the top level in Scotland.

5 minutes ago, Yodo said:

We have the slowest back 3/5 in the league absolutely no pace it really is shocking but again comes down to the manager who picks the team 

The back line is particularly vulnerable to any pace. The midfield isn't blessed in that area either. The only real pace that the team has is in Seedorf and Long. We don't seem able to unleash Seedorf's pace to any effect and Long appears to have an attitude issue that means that we won't often get the best from him.

2 minutes ago, MFCL84 said:

The back line is particularly vulnerable to any pace. The midfield isn't blessed in that area either. The only real pace that the team has is in Seedorf and Long. We don't seem able to unleash Seedorf's pace to any effect and Long appears to have an attitude issue that means that we won't often get the best from him.

Beside the fact that lamie is absolute guff,mcginley should have started to try and combat the threat of ohallorans pace.sometimes a manager just needs to match up and letting lamie,who looks like he is towing a caravan up against ohalloran was a mistake on the managers part today.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

McGinley was dire last week and barely went 10 yards over the halfway line. 

He's hardly Stevie Hammell but he's nowhere near as bad as you're attempting to make out.  You decided about 8 minutes into the friendly at Ibrox  he was rubbish and it's patently obvious you are trying to prove yourself the master of foresight  by throwing out a disparaging comment about him whether it's deserved or not.

Poor poor performance, not to mention the total of urgency or desire.

Can only assume McGinley had a knock, although to be fair he’s no world beater himself. In the managers defence we are missing almost half a first choice team in Carson, Carroll, Dunne, Donnelly and Campbell.

11 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

He's hardly Stevie Hammell but he's nowhere near as bad as you're attempting to make out.  You decided about 8 minutes into the friendly at Ibrox  he was rubbish and it's patently obvious you are trying to prove yourself the master of foresight  by throwing out a disparaging comment about him whether it's deserved or not.

I'm just talking about the game last week where he looked very passive when we were in possession.

He got dropped so I would guess he didn't show up well in the video analysis/stats. 

Not overly amused at that Cup exit.  Nobody likes a defeat at any time but going out a Cup competition with barely a whimper tends to irk more than most.

The performance wasn't there last week according to Mark O'Hara so I'd be interested to see what he made of today as it was even more poor than in Perth.  And yet half an hour to go you find yourself ahead.  Deserved or otherwise. Don't do anything daft, St Johnstone are hardly battering down to the door themselves.  See it out.  But no.

It's difficult to have a great amount of sympathy when you are in winning positions two weeks in succession St Johnstone, a team of the ilk that if you are going to do anything, you need to be seeing off, and we can't hold leads in either of them.

Lamie hasn't overly impressed when played at left-back so his introduction immediately raised eyebrows and his involvement unfortunately proved those held fears to be well founded.  The second goal hardly covered ourselves in glory either.  And after that, absolutely nothing.

That you can't make much of an argument to say that St Johnstone didn't deserve the win says it all.  The only consolation is that there's one less fixture to cram in next month.  That's it, that's the highlight of our League Cup campaign, one game less to play.  Poor stuff.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Yip, is never Robbo's fault.  He is sounding like neil lennon

I will have to listen again but I am fairly certain he admits it was his fault. He picks the team - he takes the responsibility 

In which case he is saying he is to blame.

He does however blame pish poor defending and that is 100% on him. Not a ONE Motherwell fan understands why he picked Lamie over McGinley. Not saying we would have won but he is a goal conceded a game defender. Every time. 

Maybe I am a blind optimist but I still think we will finish top 6. Based on nothing but eternal hope. 

1 minute ago, couttsy said:

Just listen to Robinsons interview, what the hell is he on about 3 or 4 men in the team that used to be vilified! Which players is he talking about and who were they vilified by?! Can only see this as a dig at the fans when we’re not even in the stadium!...

Come on there have been plenty of fall guys even in my time.