Betfred League Cup Campaign 2020'21

Andy_P

2 minutes ago, Yodo said:

At  least Holt did the honourable thing and walked away I don't see Robinson ever doing that so it's up tae the board tae get 

I dont think as a club we should be sacking a manager when we are sitting 8th regardless of a cup exit. I'm not defending him, I criticised him earlier in the thread but no sacking needed just yet.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, StirlingDosser said:

I dont think as a club we should be sacking a manager when we are sitting 8th regardless of a cup exit. I'm not defending him, I criticised him earlier in the thread but no sacking needed just yet.

He’s far from perfect and his inclusion of Lamie today was crazy but to my point earlier, we had 4 or 5 missing today that would definitely improve that team.

47 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

He's hardly Stevie Hammell but he's nowhere near as bad as you're attempting to make out.  You decided about 8 minutes into the friendly at Ibrox  he was rubbish and it's patently obvious you are trying to prove yourself the master of foresight  by throwing out a disparaging comment about him whether it's deserved or not.

There's McGinley's touches from last week. Only five in the opposing half which confirms what I was saying. Not acceptable.

Screenshot_20201128_191142.jpg

That was the most abject performance of the season. Sluggish and nervous at the back; lacking guile, skill and drive in midfield; indifferent and without sharpness, grit or focus up front. We surrendered to a completely average team who only had to be mediocre to turn a game from being a goal down to a victory that was surrendered up long before the final whistle.

And my optimism got the better of me regarding Lamie. He’ll never do

• Like 2

We’re back to playing the impotent football of a couple of seasons ago before the emergence of Turnbull and the other youth players. These players arguably kept Robinson in a job. 
It’s difficult to see how we’re going to get out of this hole.

Having done it before does he deserve another chance?

Who would the sack the manager constant bloggers suggest as manager on the playing budget at Motherwell, Reading some on this forum are never happy before the season starts all the way through  and before anyone thinks i don't no anything about Motherwell ive seen worse teams and I've seen better in all my sixty years supporting them, time to get off the  sack the manager boat 

3 minutes ago, Bilyboy600 said:

Who would the sack the manager constant bloggers suggest as manager on the playing budget at Motherwell, Reading some on this forum are never happy before the season starts all the way through  and before anyone thinks i don't no anything about Motherwell ive seen worse teams and I've seen better in all my sixty years supporting them, time to get off the  sack the manager boat 

What's that got to do with what's happening right now at Fir Park a managers time at a club is usually 3 seasons his time is up 

Sacking the manager isn’t the answer, at least not until he has something approaching his full squad to pick from and the excessive interruptions to our season have abated. However, we do need to sort out a few more goals and that will require a shift in tactics. Cole has disappointed; Long is just not committed; and the movement across the front is not good enough. We are too easy to defend against because we are not slick and don’t pull defences around. Maybe Hastie needs another chance?

4 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Just when you think things can't get any worse, someone suggests a Scottish League One level winger is the answer...

We can forget all about hastie,the sooner he's out the door and back at rangers the better.

One benefit, maybe the only one, of our long injury list this season has been the opportunity to test out fringe players. Sadly most of them have failed to impress. Currently we can't compete with St Johnstone in terms of playing budget but we should have been capable of putting on a far better show today. In short we shot ourselves in the feet; note not foot.

2 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

One benefit, maybe the only one, of our long injury list this season has been the opportunity to test out fringe players. Sadly most of them have failed to impress. Currently we can't compete with St Johnstone in terms of playing budget but we should have been capable of putting on a far better show today. In short we shot ourselves in the feet; note not foot.

Their no fringe players we are watching that's the first picks for the starting eleven , where are the next batch of talent ? 

A very disappointing game today with few, if any positives. We were outthought, outfought and outplayed and can have no complaints about the result. We looked as though we knew nothing about St Johnstone or their players. We had no obvious gameplan and off the field mistakes cost us big time. We do not have the players to play 4-3-3 and should revert instead to 4-4-2. The 4-3-3- formation puts the defence and especially midfield at a disadvantage right from kick off. The midfield can't support the strikers and fails to shield the defence, especially down the wings. We didn't learn our lessons from last week and Saints were happy to target our weak side today. Quite why Robbo couldn't see that until it was too late is beyond me.  The players also looked lethargic and not up for it.

Personnel wise, we do have a long injury list but too many fringe players are being found out. I'm not sure why Lamie started ahead of McGinley (a central defender by the way). The former is an honest pro but out of his depth at this level and its doing him no favours to pick him and hang him out to dry most weeks, including today. Thats a management call. 

Our biggest problem today was midfield which lacked creativity and bite. Saints were happy to give us possession, when they wanted knowing we wouldn't create much. When they were attacking, our 3 midfielders sat too deep and couldn't protect our defence. They also had no pace. Polworth was anonymous and Crawford, although game, struggled to impose himelf at this level. In turn it meant that our strikers had to feed off scraps - either the build up was far, far too slow or we resorted to high punts up the park with the inevitable result. So, I wouldn't be too critical of the front 3. I feel a bit sorry for the defence as they should expect better cover from those in front.  Lamie looks out of his depth and Mugabi gives me the fear. In fairness are either of them first picks with a fully fit squad? I' m also not convinced of Chapman in goal.

Did we miss Allan Campbell? Undoubtedly yes. Would the result have been different had he played - no.

All is not lost though IF, and its a big if, lessons are learnt for next week.  

1 hour ago, nsj said:

We’re back to playing the impotent football of a couple of seasons ago before the emergence of Turnbull and the other youth players. These players arguably kept Robinson in a job. 

Having done it before does he deserve another chance?

Funny you should say that, today's game reminded me a lot of the Scottish cup game v Ross County,  when they were in first division. 

We just didn't look at it 

2 hours ago, nsj said:

I don't think we're in a hole yet but yes our style is impotent. Most of that comes back to our midfield which badly lacks pace and the only 2 wingers we have, Hastie and Seedorf, are not up to it. Polworth is ok up to a point but often disappears when the going gets tough, as he did today. That then leaves set pieces and long high balls in the thunderdome style (I love that word). We don't have the players to play thunderdome football and Polworth's set pieces aren't great. So, in short, changes in personnel are required. Whether thats possible is an entirely different matter. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

There's McGinley's touches from last week. Only five in the opposing half which confirms what I was saying. Not acceptable.

Screenshot_20201128_191142.jpg

His statistics also show that he made more clearances and interceptions than his fellow full-back last weekend.  The statistics show also said fellow full-back had double the amount of touches, made more passes (albeit McGinley's accuracry of passing was better) and O'Donnell lost possession twice as much which could be very easily interpreted that Motherwell attacked more down our right than left, and St Johnstone attacked more down their right than left confirming that McGinley, as a defender, performed his primary function - defending.

4 hours ago, Andy_P said:

He's hardly Stevie Hammell but he's nowhere near as bad as you're attempting to make out.  You decided about 8 minutes into the friendly at Ibrox  he was rubbish and it's patently obvious you are trying to prove yourself the master of foresight  by throwing out a disparaging comment about him whether it's deserved or not.

Yep. But give him credit. He managed to slag the guy off in a game in which he took no part. That’s dedication for you. 

3 hours ago, Yodo said:

Their no fringe players we are watching that's the first picks for the starting eleven , where are the next batch of talent ? 

One made a debut at Norwich today, one has signed a 2nd deal at Leeds, one has started banging them in at Hull and Turnbull is self isolating in his gaff.

How do you propose we better keep hold of our youth grand master yodo?

• Like 1

Calls for Robinson’s head are as per usual utter nonsense. 

We have had such an interrupted season and little luck with injuries and Covid related matters. 

We were poor today and I would like an answer why Lamie started over McGinley. That to me is a mystery. And all on the Manager. if he picks him again then he should be asked to move on.....

Once we get a few players back and a decent run of games then we can judge. Based on our budget anything above 8th is what is expected and for now in the league anyway we are on track for that. 

We do have a fair amount of sh1t in the squad,  but hardly surprising given the wage budget. 

Also typical we lose when Hearts and Aberdeen are also out. Watch St Johnstone pull Alloa at home from the draw. Tbh if we were still in it we would draw Rangers at Ibrox so only another round. One of these days we will get a slice of luck in cup draws. Probably in 2041.