Betfred League Cup Campaign 2020'21

Andy_P

Just now, Welldaft Mk1 said:

We do have a fair amount of sh1t in the squad,  but hardly surprising given the wage budget. 

Even when or more probably if, we get back to full strength this season there are still big questions to answer. Who should partner Gallagher in central defence? Who takes over from O'Donnell at RB? Can anyone play effectively on the wings? Who provides creativity in midfield? These questions also assume that Gallagher and Campbell see out the season with us. Currently I don't know our best 11 and neither does Robbo I suspect. We will always make mistakes in the transfer market but last summer seems worse than most years.

9 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

We were poor today and I would like an answer why Lamie started over McGinley. That to me is a mystery. And all on the Manager. if he picks him again then he should be asked to move on....

He was the fall guy for last weeks’ performance.

Fair to expect the manager to make similar change as there was a lot worse yesterday?

11 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Calls for Robinson’s head are as per usual utter nonsense. 

11 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

That to me is a mystery. And all on the Manager. if he picks him again then he should be asked to move on.....

In the same breath you say that calls for his head are nonsense. However, if he picks the same player agin he should be asked to move on. Which is it?

39 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

In the same breath you say that calls for his head are nonsense. However, if he picks the same player agin he should be asked to move on. Which is it?

I think calls for his head based on his performance as Motherwell Manager are nonsense. We have had poor runs during his tenure but based on all rationale evidence he has done what was expected of him and on many occasion a whole lot more. 

I think Lamie is unfortunately not a premier division player and has shown numerous times to be a liability and culpable for losing many avoidable goals. My comments were in part tongue in cheek.  But were he to continue to select him based on his performances then I would call into Q the judgement of Robinson. 

I would call for Robinson to be sacked if we were sitting in 11th or 12th and on a run of defeats and defeats against teams with lower budgets. But that is not where we are nor have we been so to clear up any confusion once again calls for Robinson to be sacked are nonsense. That may not and probably will not always be the situation. 

Lamie couldn't get near ohalloran with his pace and next week will be the same if he is in the team and boyle is playing for hibs,he can't start for that reason alone then you add in the fact that he's absolute pish.its a straight choice between lamie and mcginley until carroll is back and it has to be mcginley,he's no world beater but atleast he isn't making a cunt of it anytime he's on the pitch.the mind will seriously boggle if lamie is anywhere near the team next week.

16 minutes ago, mfc said:

Lamie couldn't get near ohalloran with his pace and next week will be the same if he is in the team and boyle is playing for hibs,he can't start for that reason alone then you add in the fact that he's absolute pish.its a straight choice between lamie and mcginley until carroll is back and it has to be mcginley,he's no world beater but atleast he isn't making a cunt of it anytime he's on the pitch.the mind will seriously boggle if lamie is anywhere near the team next week.

I agree about McGinley, but would revert to a 4-4-2 formation with Grimshaw playing out wide and in front of him. Hopefully Campbell will be back along with Maguire, and if so, O'Hara should revert to central defence, where he  is a far better player than he is in midfield. 

5 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Was upset we lost yesterday but not overly 

But now it looks like Celtic will join Aberdeen and Hearts then it does hurt a little more. 

We get to finals and invariably play Celtic or Rangers. 

We get knocked out early and big seeds tend to get knocked out. 

Typical Motherwell....

Aye it's opened right up but as Robinson said this squad is soft and could never have pulled of the result of Ross County today. 

Celtic came to us on the ropes and we literally put a goal on a plate for them after five minutes.

14 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Was upset we lost yesterday but not overly 

But now it looks like Celtic will join Aberdeen and Hearts then it does hurt a little more. 

We get to finals and invariably play Celtic or Rangers. 

We get knocked out early and big seeds tend to get knocked out. 

Typical Motherwell....

Never fear, Rangers will be in the final and they will easily pump whoever they play. 

Agree to an extent with the injury comments, but don't gloss over that Saints also had players out. Kerr, Conway and Davidson are just as key to St J as our missing players are to us. They didn't even list a full number of subs.  And the flak our keeper is getting in comparison to others is nonsense. Is he as athletic and comfortable with the ball at his feet as we would like? Clearly not. But he stopped it being four or five goals conceded. Others were much more culpable. And the agenda some folk have against Crawford and McGinley is nonsense. Then again with Dunne missing they have to focus on somebody. 

Bottom line is we were rotten and Robinson made a huge error in selecting Lamie, and a bigger error in waiting until were losing before he hauled him off. We could well have gotten out of jail if our Manager had acted quicker. But no excuses, the team that deserved to win are into the quarters, which hurts even more when you see who also went out. What a chance missed!

7 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

He’s not going back to Rangers. He can’t even get into our team and I suspect his future lies in the lower leagues. 

Hastie is operating in the most comfortable working environment he will ever find, if Seedorf is getting on in front of him then he is showing nothing in training.

I now believe he made a great career decision when he signed for Rangers, don’t know his wages but say £4K a week for four years then he can play his career out at Airdrie with his cigars.

5 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I agree about McGinley, but would revert to a 4-4-2 formation with Grimshaw playing out wide and in front of him. Hopefully Campbell will be back along with Maguire, and if so, O'Hara should revert to central defence, where he  is a far better player than he is in midfield. 

What was the game that Grimshaw played at left back, did that not work ok?

6 hours ago, mfc said:

Might McGinley have been carrying a knock (I know he was on the bench) but he wasn’t brought on when Lamie was hooked.

15 minutes ago, ropy said:

Might McGinley have been carrying a knock (I know he was on the bench) but he wasn’t brought on when Lamie was hooked.

You could well be right on that and he may have been carrying a knock,onthefringes(who's normally spot on)a few posts back suggested that mcginley was dropped after last week,if true then robinson must have been out to prove a point as bringing on grimshaw before him made no sense yesterday.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

What was the game that Grimshaw played at left back, did that not work ok?

It did, although I'm not Grimmy's biggest fan. However even a decent left back would have struggled yesterday  with our 4-3-3 set up, with absolutely no cover in midfield. O'Halloran at right wing back ruled our left wing and I'm totally surprised that we weren't aware of this danger beforehand. Surely we'd done our homework on St Johnstone in the past week? Its as if they were a totally unknown quantity from Kazakhstan and we'd never faced them before.  Even at that, changes should have been made during the game when it became crystal clear what was happening. I'm sticking by Robbo but it was a major error of judgement.

Interesting comments on P & B, which I largely agree with. We have a very good first pick 11 when they are all fit, but the fringe players are letting us down big time. Robbo has acknowledged that and I would hope that most of them are shipped out at the first opportunity; easier said than done though. Right now, and probably even moreso in the medium term, midfield is a huge problem for us, defensively and offensively. Polworth is too lightweight and hides when the going gets tough, O'Hara is not a defensive midfielder, the jury is still out on Crawfiord, and Campbell will likely be leaving in the not too distant future. Donnelly is out until next year and Maguire is still finding his feet.   

• 3 weeks later...