Season 2020’21: Game 30: St Mirren (A)

Andy_P

4 hours ago, weeyin said:

Covid already visited our club earlier in the season.

The question is whether or not we are following the appropriate protocols to prevent entire squads being infected.

If we can't fulfill the fixture I'd have no issues awarding Ross County 3 points as long as we get our 6 from Killie and St Mirren.

Spot on...

15 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Well no Iain. We still don't know the facts.

Fair enough Dave, I just feel that far too many piled on to St.Mirren automatically assuming , cheating to gain some sort of advantage,

we’ve since had the facts , that there was in fact another significant outbreak present  in their squad 

to me if they had played the game , it wouldn’t just have been an SPFL breach , it would have been criminal.

all the other noise and genuine concerns  about how it got into their club and spread slowly  etc is a separate concern ( that happens to be occurring around the world)  but for the decision they made last week on the late discovery of an additional positive case , I’d hope our club and players are thankful,  our fans that still think they should have played us might never think that.

Let’s hope our one case is/was truly isolated and the SPFL ( the clubs) can deliver a path to navigate thru this metaphorical minefield 

I doubt, path 1-39 passing every number en-route is achievable in the current timeframe , but equally I’d like to see majority of points awarded being for actual games , even if there is less off them 

There are countless reasons why there might be multiple outbreaks at any given club, none of which involve impropriety and that alone should have been enough for Mo Ross  to keep his gob. shut.

Even if the clubs in question are guilty of breaching protocol, it's still a stretch to say they have tried to use it to their advantage.  

This notion that following protocols at work suddenly makes you immune to infection is baffling. 

Some people are never happy unless  they have someone to blame. It's pretty sad really. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Pepper said:

There are countless reasons why there might be multiple outbreaks at any given club, none of which involve impropriety and that alone should have been enough for Mo Ross  to keep his gob. shut.

Even if the clubs in question are guilty of breaching protocol, it's still a stretch to say they have tried to use it to their advantage.  

This notion that following protocols at work suddenly makes you immune to infection is baffling. 

Some people are never happy unless  they have someone to blame. It's pretty sad really. 

There are also many reasons why there might be multiple outbreaks at any given club many of which involve impropriety. In short we simply don’t know as we don’t have the facts. Are you saying that’s it’s impossible for a club to work the system? My take on Mo’s comments is that he said there’s potential for a club to work the system for their benefit. I don’t think that’s unreasonable. It’s a fact. In short I’m sitting on the fence until we are given the facts if we ever are. 

12 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

There are also many reasons why there might be multiple outbreaks at any given club many of which involve impropriety. In short we simply don’t know as we don’t have the facts. Are you saying that’s it’s impossible for a club to work the system? My take on Mo’s comments is that he said there’s potential for a club to work the system for their benefit. I don’t think that’s unreasonable. It’s a fact. In short I’m sitting on the fence until we are given the facts if we ever are. 

I can just see Jim Goodwin sitting with his backroom staff "Right lads whatever happens we have to get this Motherwell game off, they are absolutely flying this season". Give me a break. 

Ross not so subtly accused another club of acting in an underhand manner with no evidence whatsoever and for that he was out of order. 

On 10/18/2020 at 2:13 PM, ropy said:

If they are isolating, their game next week will be off too.

It is reported that the entire St Mirren squad has to isolate, if that is for 14 days they have no game next week but play United two weeks tonight, game off?

Just now, Pepper said:

Ross not so subtly accused another club of acting in an underhand manner with no evidence whatsoever and for that he was out of order. 

I've read his comments over and again and come to the conclusion that he hasn't accused St Mirren of any wrongdoing in fact he explicitly says so. There's no court in the land would say so. He does mention St Mirren and impropriety in the same article but that's far from saying they're guilty. It's also possible that he knows something we don't. Should he have made these comments? Probably not but there's nought wrong with what he said.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

I've read his comments over and again and come to the conclusion that he hasn't accused St Mirren of any wrongdoing in fact he explicitly says so. There's no court in the land would say so. He does mention St Mirren and impropriety in the same article but that's far from saying they're guilty. It's also possible that he knows something we don't. Should he have made these comments? Probably not but there's nought wrong with what he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08vmxxj

35 minutes to 41 minutes. That's where the quotes are from. 

Asked for his thoughts on the St Mirren call off. I'll paraphrase...

"I'm not going to accuse St Mirren of cheating, however I'm going to ignore all relevant issues of this topic and use this time to focus solely on the possibility that teams can cheat. But not St Mirren. And also, where did all the St Mirren players disappear to? Eh eh? Don't you think that's a bit suspicious? Teams can cheat and their players suddenly disappeared? But no, I'm not accusing St Mirren of cheating. (Nudge, nudge, wink wink)"

That's only a slight exaggeration of what he actually says. His point is implicit all the way through that he thinks St Mirren were at it. Stupid thing to say. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Today's BBC Gossip:

The SPFL are ready to "throw the book" at St Mirren for their recent Covid-19 woes that have resulted in their last two games being postponed. (Daily Mail print edition)

Quite a few defenders of St Mirren stance earlier in the thread. FWIW I would agree if they have been unlucky and / or unfortunate but the SPFL must feel there is a case that St Mirren have not been following as stringently the Covid protocols as other clubs have.  That would appear to be backed up by repeated multi player outbreaks. 

Time will tell but something appears quite fishy in the state of Paisley...

1 hour ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Today's BBC Gossip:

The SPFL are ready to "throw the book" at St Mirren for their recent Covid-19 woes that have resulted in their last two games being postponed. (Daily Mail print edition)

So two 3-0 awards for the Killie and St Mirren games from the SPFL and a good result today at home to Ross County, and we will be top 6 and chasing Europe by next week :)

23 minutes ago, ropy said:

If the punishment involves points it is more likely to be deductions rather than awarded to us? This would be fairer across the league rather than us being the beneficiaries.

Thats not a fair method ie St Mirren beat Rangers and they lose those points, the award should be relevant to the team they were due to play, ie us

Choosing my words carefully here, I know of a workplace where several departments have been hit by large outbreaks among staff while others have remained pretty much unscathed. PPE is plentiful in each area and protocols are identical. Some of the areas that have been hit heavy are not as high risk as others that have been largely untouched. Is it dumb luck or have some been complacent? Impossible to tell, but certainly worth investigating...

I also think the impact on ourselves is an issue and should be reflected in any punishment for wrong doing. If the actions of Killie and St Mirren have beached protocol and the impact on us is no game for a lengthy spell and then being forced to play three games in 8 days then that is also unfair. It will disadvantage us enough and may well have an  affect on player availability and ultimately our final League position.

At the end of the day I'm not convinced deduction/forfeit of points will happen though. Too dangerous a precedent to set in this league. I really don't know what the answer is but I suspect fines or suspended fines will be the cop out.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

If the punishment involves points it is more likely to be deductions rather than awarded to us? This would be fairer across the league rather than us being the beneficiaries.

Presumably though the postponed/cancelled games would still go ahead?  As Dennyc says though the powers that be would have to be careful not to disadvantage clubs like ourselves through packed game schedules?

58 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Choosing my words carefully here, I know of a workplace where several departments have been hit by large outbreaks among staff while others have remained pretty much unscathed. PPE is plentiful in each area and protocols are identical. Some of the areas that have been hit heavy are not as high risk as others that have been largely untouched. Is it dumb luck or have some been complacent? Impossible to tell, but certainly worth investigating...

In every organisation there will be some complacent and/or reckless staff; thats just human nature. 

13 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Aye, these guys might be in a bubble at work, but they go home to their families who are at school, work etc.

i can see a situation where someone in the club has it, and it boomerangs back via family etc..

On the other hand, if you are short of players, getting a positive test that forces half your squad into isolation on the eve of a match could be perceived as convenient...

L

Thursday 29th October 2020

SPFL STATEMENT

KILMARNOCK FC AND ST MIRREN FC DISCIPLINARY DATES ANNOUNCED...

The SPFL has today announced that disciplinary proceedings have been commenced against St Mirren FC.

It is alleged that St Mirren FC breached the SPFL’s Covid-19 Regulations during the lead-up to their postponed League Matches v Motherwell FC on Saturday 17 October and v Hamilton Academical FC on Saturday 24 October.

The St Mirren hearing will be held before a Sub-Committee of the Board of the SPFL, chaired by an independent legally-qualified chair, on Tuesday 10 and/or Wednesday 11 November.

The previously announced disciplinary hearing in relation to Kilmarnock FC will be held on Tuesday 10 November and now may also extend into Wednesday 11 November.

Not quite sure if the investigation has concluded?  Presumably it has, in each case,  for the SPFL  to call the clubs to hearings 

be interesting if anything is permitted to come out of this what the alleged breaches are, and if they are really controllable by the clubs ( as employers)

the progress certainly isn’t helping get the backlog of fixtures cleared .

I don't expect much to come from these investigations apart from, maybe, a token fine or slap on the wrist.

The bigger issue for me is to make sure there are some decisions made (and made soon) about how to handle this situation in the future and, of course, deal with the very real possibility of not being able to play the league to its conclusion.

Not holding my breath, though.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

St Mirren charged with 19 alleged breaches of covid regulations apparently , and they have also employed new covid staff, which all suggests some serious non compliance, I see a 3-0 win for this one.

The SPFL currently have no power to award a 3-0 win.  Fine and/or docked points seems more likely, and probably fairer to everyone else.

• Andy_P changed the title to Season 2020’21: Game 30: St Mirren (A)