Season 2020’21: Game 30: St Mirren (A)

Andy_P

Jim Goodwin was on the radio yesterday and said that they had broken some rules by car sharing; and was there not a rule about having 13 players in a squad available and a game had to go ahead? If we had played against weakened sides, you would hope (??) that we might have picked up max points. As it is, we may have to play against both Killie and St Mirren with both of them having full squads to select from. 

47 minutes ago, Kat said:

That's a Celtic player tested positive for covid after the jolly to Dubai. Will be interesting to see if that spreads to other team mates and so forth. If so I wonder if any potential postponements will be punished.

If this is given any consideration on Thursday then St Mirren/ Killie will win their appeals, so bring on the games.

7 minutes ago, ropy said:

If this is given any consideration on Thursday then St Mirren/ Killie will win their appeals, so bring on the games.

I have said it before I genuinely believe the appeals panel should ignore what is happening today. Is it even relevant ? 

They have to decide whether the original punishment was just at the time given the facts they had. 

It has been that long since the games were postponed that we now have 3 vaccines approved in the UK. 

Fwiw I think the decision will be reversed, the punishment downgraded and the games played. I only hope that we are in better shape ourselves and have a few welcome additions. 

1 hour ago, si91 said:

Jim Goodwin was on the radio yesterday and said that they had broken some rules by car sharing; and was there not a rule about having 13 players in a squad available and a game had to go ahead? If we had played against weakened sides, you would hope (??) that we might have picked up max points. As it is, we may have to play against both Killie and St Mirren with both of them having full squads to select from. 

I have said before the games should be played but only if Killie and St Mirren don't benefit from the cancellations. Why should they benefit if they broke protocols? They should be asked play with the players they had available at the time of the original game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Celtic have one positive test after Dubai but despite their entire squad being on a 8 hour plane journey together they don't seem to have anyone in isolation.

Hopefully that will go against St Mirren and Killie.

Something stinks about this - Jason Leitch has been saying for weeks/ months that the only privilege that football gets over the rest of us is after the white line, so any positive case should result in cases of self isolation. From my own workplace, anything more than 15 mins with a positive case results in self isolating for others. This all beggars belief tbh

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Celtic have one positive test after Dubai but despite their entire squad being on a 8 hour plane journey together they don't seem to have anyone in isolation.

Hopefully that will go against St Mirren and Killie.

Its a certainty the player isnt Barkas, he hasnt caught anything all season!

57 minutes ago, steelboy said:

The decision on Celtic is to be made at lunchtime. I'd say it's good for us if they play tonight, if their full squad gets put on isolation until next week then I doubt we will get the points. 

Given the gov announcement today technically none of the players who went to Dubai are eligible for the game tonight as they should be isolating, but as they probably have 13 registered players who never went they should be made to play. 

But back in the real world feck all will happen as it involves the ugly sisters. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-55615170

Ignore the above, apparently elite sports stars are exempt from the quarantine rules

I find it hard to believe that 1 player has caught covid, but none of the other 30 odd players & staff arent even close contacts nevermind infected too! All sat together for 8 hours on a plane, eating together, rooming together and sitting round the pool drinking together? Aye something fishy there

Not sure if anyone posted last week but Chick Young on the Sportsound last Thursday was on one.

I actually quite like him and what he has to say normally but he was in full rant mode saying he would be "astonished and stunned" if those 0-3 scorelines were upheld,  the presenter had to tell him to go away and calm down.

Unwritten laws of Scottish football means anything that might just affect Celtic\Rangers needs to be treated with kid gloves.

Personally expecting  games ordered to be played and that suspended fine to remain, so in other words, no sanction at all for St.Mirren & Killie.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

Given the gov announcement today technically none of the players who went to Dubai are eligible for the game tonight as they should be isolating, but as they probably have 13 registered players who never went they should be made to play. 

But back in the real world feck all will happen as it involves the ugly sisters. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-55615170

Ignore the above, apparently elite sports stars are exempt from the quarantine rules

Travel restrictions don't apply to elite sport. It's no different to Rangers going to Poland or Celtic going to Italy and not having to follow the normal restrictions.

59 minutes ago, mcguru said:

Not sure if anyone posted last week but Chick Young on the Sportsound last Thursday was on one.

I actually quite like him and what he has to say normally but he was in full rant mode saying he would be "astonished and stunned" if those 0-3 scorelines were upheld,  the presenter had to tell him to go away and calm down.

Hardly an unbiased opinion, and although very dangerous to do so, I'd tend to ignore his view. Just part of the lovie PR machine. 

6 minutes ago, Kat said:

League One and Two and the Scottish Cup suspended for three weeks. I wonder if Premiership will follow suit in the next week or so as cases rise.

That's why we need this 6 points fiasco sorted one way or another NOW. It's not fair on the teams affected, particularly if heaven forbid they call the season at some point.

Last week I thought we had no chance of reclaiming the 6 points but the fall out of Celtic’s irresponsible and tone deaf trip to Dubai has surely played in our favour. 

On a related note, no surprise to see the Scottish cup and there’s lower leagues have been suspended. Unless they can afford regular testing, I don’t think they’ll be back in the next 12 weeks. 

2 hours ago, santheman said:

That's why we need this 6 points fiasco sorted one way or another NOW. It's not fair on the teams affected, particularly if heaven forbid they call the season at some point.

This has been largely overlooked by all apart from Well fans. At the end of the day we are piggy in the middle here and are being dicked about by this whole episode. Have 6 points...actually nah don’t have 6 points.....maybe have 6 points. 

You have had the likes of chick dung all over the radio to say how unfair it is on a club he supports ! Goodwin and Dyer saying same. We are innocent victims here and punishment was disproportionate etc etc. 

Nothing about Motherwell whatsoever. Almost as if we are not affected either way. 

I would be dumbfounded if they do not do an about turn and order the games to be replayed. Under what circumstances god only knows. Celtic and United playing weakened teams may help as clearly the thought of losing 3 points was a factor in their decision.

If the decision is overturned I would like our club to make a comment. More than that if the games are replayed our players had better be 100% up for the games as you can bet that Killie and St Mirren would look to make a statement by gunning for a win.

All in all quite a mess. The fact that it is taking months to resolve has also helped turn it into a circus show. 

• Like 3

The incidents with Aberdeen and Celtic earlier in the season, and the latest Celtic one today are totally irrelevant to the St Mirren  and Killie games as none of them resulted in matches being postponed.

Yes Aberdeen and Celtic obviously broke the covid protocols at some point, so deserve to be sanctioned, but not to the same extent as killie and StM.

Those breaches of protocols resulted in games being postponed,  inconvenience to us and Hamilton as what was proved to be and admitted by both clubs, a blatant disregard for the rules,  so in those cases the 3-0 forfeit was warranted, as both clubs could have played but chose not to. Its their right to appeal but the SPFL /SFA should chase them, but given the governance of the game in Scotland is a shambles they will no doubt reverse the decision and reschedule the games.

Which sends the message to the league, ignore the protocols,  spread covid, and don't bother fulfilling your fixtures, as nothing will happen the game will be rescheduled so you get away with it.

It's a total embarrassment how long this has dragged on for.

I do not think games will be played as since this all teams have made an effort to play . If Celtic have 13, players out and still playing games then although Saints and Killie thought Celtic going to Dubai helped their case I think the opposite . If Celtic had not played tonight think it was a certainty our games would be replayed but as Killie and ST Mirren made no effort to play weakened teams sure appeal will be thrown out . It is the SPFL though so anything is possible .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shaka said:

I find it hard to believe that 1 player has caught covid, but none of the other 30 odd players & staff arent even close contacts nevermind infected too! All sat together for 8 hours on a plane, eating together, rooming together and sitting round the pool drinking together? Aye something fishy there

Fishyness and Celtic go hand in hand.

• Andy_P changed the title to Season 2020’21: Game 30: St Mirren (A)