Season 2020’21: Game 30: St Mirren (A)

Andy_P

3 minutes ago, brainier said:

10k is no punishment when they could have fielded teams. 

the fine's should go to whatever operating costs we've lost.  

We're the innocent victim of circumstances and whatever operating costs we had for those match days should be awarded to us. 

Happy to play the games and beat both teams 4-0 .  :wink:

18 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

If the rescheduled games are not convenient for Motherwell I would tell the the SPFL to do one. We won’t.

We will have little say in the matter. If the 2 clubs can't agree then the home side will dictate the date. 

We've been totally shafted. Not even any mention of token financial compensation for us. So both Killie and St Mirren flouted the rules and gain an advantage by now being able to field full strength teams against us.

This will only encourage other clubs to play the system.

Outrageous.

And an even bigger slap in the face for the lower league clubs that are getting stiffed because of behaviour like this.

Plus another reason for the Government to consider shutting our game down if the governing body doesn't take this seriously.

So the SPFL / SFA are effectivley telling teams then, if your squad  is wiped out by covid, and you want to ignore the guidelines and not field a weakened side as you could possibly lose the match, then don't worry. 

We will do feck all and re-arrange the games for you at a time that suits you, and after a transfer window so you can strengthen the team.

It's a feckin embarrassment how incompetent the people running Scottish football are, a total feckin shambles, the club should be all over this decision, but we will be shitebags like all the other clubs and say nothing.

Can you imagine the uproar today if one of the ugly sisters had been involved, particularly  the green one

We just need to hope the Club and our coaching staff can use this to motivate the players, instilling a seige mentality that will bring the dressing room together and a bit more determination on the pitch.

The danger is though that it becomes another kick in the balls that demoralises the dressing room even more during what has been a bloody awful season.

The game in this country is well and truly gubbed,the people running it are a shower of jokers,other countries have managed the whole situation of games being cancelled without any fuss and got on with it but yet again it's the authorities in this country that continue to make us a laughing stock.fucking joke,I hope we go and beat both of those bang average teams when the games come around.

Slap in the face for clubs and their staff that have been going the extra mile to comply with regulations and keep everyone safe. There’s no point in us complaining too much though as we’ll gain little sympathy. Just go out and pump them both 4-0. Then next time we are involved in a relatively high profile game pull out an hour or two before kickoff. 

I’d love to say it’s an unbelievable verdict but nothing should surprise us in Scottish football.

Admit to COVID breaches and get a 10k fine rather than play a reserve team and almost certainly give up 3 points, I know which I’d choose! Bet Celtic are raging they bothered to play a weakened team earlier this week, the 10k fine would be far preferable, especially for a club with their finances.

As some have said we need to try and use this to our advantage, to motivate the team into getting themselves out of the shit that we are most definitely in!

• Like 1

Laughable decision. You look at clubs paying for things like extra buses and that to follow the guidelines set out but we are the ones essentially punished at the end of the day, we have had a few players out with Covid and we were swift to manage that and fulfilled the games with no issues whereas St Midden and Killie outright admit the wrong doings. Doesn't send out the right message as now other teams can just cancel hours before kickoff with little punishment. Hope we pump both of them in the rearrange fixtures. Scunnered with Scottish Football these days, Bobby Madden last week, drawn out weird decision making this week what joys to follow suit next week.

1 hour ago, Kat said:

Laughable decision. You look at clubs paying for things like extra buses and that to follow the guidelines set out but we are the ones essentially punished at the end of the day, we have had a few players out with Covid and we were swift to manage that and fulfilled the games with no issues whereas St Midden and Killie outright admit the wrong doings. Doesn't send out the right message as now other teams can just cancel hours before kickoff with little punishment. Hope we pump both of them in the rearrange fixtures. Scunnered with Scottish Football these days, Bobby Madden last week, drawn out weird decision making this week what joys to follow suit next week.

The irony of which of course being Campbell and Maguire had to miss games as a consequence of being on an SFA trip!

• Like 2

Shocking decision but as has been said on here, why are we surprised. Here’s an interesting (but probably fanciful) thought - why not ask both Killie and St Mirren to identify which players would have been available on the dates of the original fixtures and only select these players for the rescheduled games. It’ll never happen but would help protect sporting integrity 

• Like 2

This shows what a shambolic organisation the SPFL is. When they released extra fixtures for cup weekend and we were not in it and Saints and Killie were I thought the appeals were likely to be thrown out but now we have to find a couple of dates to fit these games in. Typical no forward planning or common sense. 

I hope Burrows gets on to the SPFL and demands that any players signed by them since the original games are barred from playing.

Open goal now for any club to claim they cannot field a team.

2 hours ago, couttsy said:

As some have said we need to try and use this to our advantage, to motivate the team into getting themselves out of the shit that we are most definitely in!

Sadly, I don't think that will motivate the players. If we can afford it though, I'd offer the players an extra £2,000 in bonuses for these 2 games. That might work. It would be great to win both games 4-0 but that won't happen.

An absolute shambles, and one which makes those that are involved in the governance of Scottish football look like the rank amateurs that they obviously are.  No wonder the game in Scotland is in the state it is.

As to what we as a club can do about this situation, I am afraid that the answer is precious little. I see no value in trying to use what some might see as the precedent set by this ruling to try and gain advantage ourselves. I really don't want Motherwell to be a club like that. I see little value in using the whole mess as a motivational tool. If our players and staff are not already fully motivated for the task ahead of them, especially given the hole we find ourselves in, then they have no right to be at the club. I also doubt we will gain anything by trying to play hardball when it comes to negotiating as to when these fixtures will be replayed. We might, quite rightly at the moment, feel a sense of injustice and that we, in particular, as a club, have been well and truly shafted, but the one thing that is clear from this unholy mess, is that the powers that be obviously do not share that opinion and, as such, us being petulant about it is only going to be, ultimately, an unnecessary distraction. I shall conclude by quoting what a US army Sargent is supposed to have told an injured and disabled soldier on the way back to America after World War 2, " if you are looking for sympathy, you will find it in the dictionary between sh*t and syphliis". This mess is done. We need to  stop feeling sorry for ourselves and get over it.

When will the SFA publish the reasons for the appeals being upheld?

Don't know how much influence Doncaster has in these shenanigans - think he's only a (well-paid) lackey/ spokesperson/figurehead of the SPFL.

And the SPFL is the clubs and the clubs are the SPFL.

It was an SPFL tribunal who decided on the 'punishment' but an SFA judicial panel who upheld the appeals. Ian Maxwell is CE of the SFA. So who is in charge of what?

BTW the SPFL clubs voted not to allow the SPFL board to put rules in place before the start of this season. 

The machinations of Scottish football make make Kafka's novels appear to be written for children.

23 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Sadly, I don't think that will motivate the players. If we can afford it though, I'd offer the players an extra £2,000 in bonuses for these 2 games. That might work. It would be great to win both games 4-0 but that won't happen.

Funny that Dave. I said the very same earlier today. If I had the money.

My worry is that despite us being mucked about somehow Killie and St Mirren will still be seen as the victims here. Their fans and officials will still be claiming injustice right up to the day of the games despite the fact they fucked up and have been given a get out of jail card free. 

My worry is their players will be even more pumped by this decision than our players. 

• Like 1

• Andy_P changed the title to Season 2020’21: Game 30: St Mirren (A)