Season 2020’21: Game 30: St Mirren (A)

Andy_P

I would have fancied our chances with a full squad, with what we have available now I can’t see anything other than another heavy defeat regardless of formation. We simply don’t have enough of our important first team players available.

bottom line is we need to work a damn site harder irrespective of formation or selection.

from who we have available 

Kelly 

Magloiore     Lamie     McGinley

Odonnell.        Crawford     Maguire           Car roll 

Watt

Long.          Cole 

1 minute ago, wellsince75 said:

bottom line is we need to work a damn site harder irrespective of formation or selection.

Kelly 

Watt

Long.          Cole 

You look at that thought and it’s a frightening first eleven, six of those players should be nowhere  near the first team. Sadly I would include Maguire in that who I still believe is a natural centre half not quite up to Premiership football moved to a midfielder not quite up to Premiership level, putting him alongside Crawford makes it even worse and behind them a back three of Magloiore, Lamie, and McGinley, oh brother that’s a bombscare.

18 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

You look at that thought and it’s a frightening first eleven, six of those players should be nowhere  near the first team. Sadly I would include Maguire in that who I still believe is a natural centre half not quite up to Premiership football moved to a midfielder not quite up to Premiership level, putting him alongside Crawford makes it even worse and behind them a back three of Magloiore, Lamie, and McGinley, oh brother that’s a bombscare.

completely agree.  Watt, Carrol and S'OD just about get pass marks.

Gallagher, Carson, Campbell, Donnelly , O'Hara are the players we're missing that would be first team picks.

Bottom line we don't have 11 decent first team players. 

49 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Kelly 

Watt

Long.          Cole 

I would drop long and bring in another midfielder(if we have anybody fit that is)so we aren't outnumbered in the middle of the park but other than that i agree with the team and formation,that's as good as we're going to get right now, plus it gets away from the disaster that is the 433.

14 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

I would rather have Long as the central striker than Cole. I don't believe Cole offers much as the number 9 albeit I appreciate he's chipped in with a few goals recently.   I'd rather have him on the left/right on the strike force.

That said even as I write this it feels like we're reengaging deckchairs on the titanic. 

Longs first touch is terrible , he’s not a target man, for sure

Worrying when a team like Livi can rest a large proportion the regular starting eleven and still get a result a few weeks ago. However, when we get lay off’s we are heading downstream in a leaky boat with no life preservers. When you have fellow journeymen footballers at Livingston who can still slot in to perhaps not their regular position and dig out a result you know there is something wrong with the players we have at our disposal. Yes a  clear out is required for next season, it just remains to be seen what league the newbies will be playing in. On current form it’s the Championship.

27 minutes ago, Ped_MFC said:

The first area we can improve for this game is to ditch those bloody stupid bye kick routines, never seen a team so happy to piss about with the ball so close to their own goal and invite pressure from the other team.

Its actually quite a good tactic if you are a decent team who are all comfortable on the ball and struggling to break down a compact defence, as inviting them forward opens up space further back which can be exploited.

Unfortunately we are far from being a decent team who are all comfortable on the ball.....

11 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

the problem is no one can pass. Lamie, Crawford , Magiore , Carrol  embarrassingly poor at basic passes.    

I would argue that given we have been doing it for 5 or 6 games and it hasn't really gotten us into trouble suggests it is working.

Like I say I would completely agree with you if the alternative was we actually did something when we went long with it, but yesterday was painful to watch when we went long with it.

12 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

the problem is no one can pass. Lamie, Crawford , Magiore , Carrol  embarrassingly poor at basic passes.    

On the other side of the same coin is that no one can receive the ball.  When the ball arrives they are facing our goal, that is where the ball goes back to.

Obviously if the pass was better we would have more options, but it’s not.

Trying to play out from the back isn't a bad idea but you need to have players that are comfortable on the ball and a midfield that are willing to go looking for it and we have neither in our team,there was one occasion in particular yesterday in the first half where we tried to pass it about the back and it turned into total panic stations,it was actually embarrassing to watch.ive no idea how or what we change,were shite at trying to pass the ball and the long ball stuff is just as bad,for me the only hope we have is for the teams below us to be just as bad as I don't see us doing enough on our own.the sooner this season is over and we can get our biggest rebuilding job underway the better.

19 hours ago, ropy said:

On the other side of the same coin is that no one can receive the ball.  When the ball arrives they are facing our goal, that is where the ball goes back to.

Obviously if the pass was better we would have more options, but it’s not.

Yep. I don't think our passing decision making is as bad as those few posts made out - part of the problem seems to be that the players receiving the ball are frequently out-fought. 

19 hours ago, mfc said:

Trying to play out from the back isn't a bad idea but you need to have players that are comfortable on the ball and a midfield that are willing to go looking for it and we have neither in our team............

Sorry, which team are you referring to? Jim Gannon's or Graham Alexander's?