Season 2020’21: Game 30: St Mirren (A)

Andy_P

56 minutes ago, CoF said:

Any idea why they haven't been listed as injured on the official site? 

Not really helping matters when fans are left wondering for weeks why three new signings are nowhere near the squad. 

There may be something in it. I don’t know. It’s certainly not used as a tool to appease the mock outrage of some.

List I seen posted on Saturday morning looked professional (albeit not from the club) and was shared amongst a fairly big circle. Details certainly aligned with information club had given with a few extras.

Fairly certain Burrows offers reply when asked... We’ve been unlucky with types of injuries. Had we competed in last 2 fixtures I doubt it would be up for discussion.

10 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

It’s certainly not used as a tool to appease the mock outrage of some.

No, but the site is used to communicate with the fans. There's a section with updates on every players injury and it was updated on Saturday.  It's not mock outrage to wonder why two of a new managers new signings - brought to bolster the squad in a relegation fight -  are nowhere near the squad when they aren't injured (according to the official site) and when there is a massive injury list in the very positions they play. 

Alexander hasn't mentioned Nolan or Foley in any press conference. We opted to have two empty seats on the bench on Saturday so it's not a huge leap to assume they are unfit or have been simply awful signings who are worse than a man down. That's a fairly logical conclusion and given how shite we've been, it's worthy of discussion. Fans shouldn't rely on an unofficial injury list to put these theories to bed. 

6 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Is there a case for replacing Magloire with Lamie and Polworth with Watt?

Defo watt for polworth but playing more central in a #10 role. Ive been shouting this for ages the space between our midrield n front 3 is ridiculous,

Magloire is the one with pace t burn is he not?with that surely the defence can squeeze up the park n allow midfield t get further forward..we need t try something different surely

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, spudmfc said:

Defo watt for polworth but playing more central in a #10 role. Ive been shouting this for ages the space between our midrield n front 3 is ridiculous,

Magloire is the one with pace t burn is he not?with that surely the defence can squeeze up the park n allow midfield t get further forward..we need t try something different surely

Supposedly, but he's managed to hide it really well. He also seems incapable of heading or kicking a ball properly.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, spudmfc said:

Defo watt for polworth but playing more central in a #10 role. Ive been shouting this for ages the space between our midfield n front 3 is ridiculous,

well said - I back you for manager.

it's also clear Watt isn't a goal scorer  - the #10 role is plain and obvious and frankly we can't afford both him and Polworth in the same team at the same time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Had we competed in last 2 fixtures I doubt it would be up for discussion.

The January signings were up for discussion when folk thought they were gonnae play. The fact some now can't only increases the questions. I'd say more baffled than (mock) outraged, but that could easily change.

16 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Is there a case for replacing Magloire with Lamie and Polworth with Watt?

Lamie V Magloire, you have a case. I went with Magloire cause he is an unknown quantity, it's hard to judge him on last Saturday because the whole team were rotten, he also add's a bit of pace, he may be suspect to the odd heart in mouth moment where as we know Lamie is suspect to them. 

Polworth v Watt, I think Watt would put in a smashing shift in Midfield, but I don't think now is the time for square pegs in round holes. would we lose Watt's ball carrying if we played him in the middle?

In regards the chat on the injury list on the website. I do like the fact that it's there and keeps us, as fans, up to date.

However, I can also imagine the management team want to keep some things under wraps so the opposition can't work out from a quick look on a  public website who is defintely out ahead of the match.  I'm sure the opposition have other ways of finding the real info out (contacts, ex players etc) but why make it easy?

In addition it has itself brought unwarranted criticism from fans when something changes in a players rehab.  e.g. "How come he was meant to be back in December and now it says March? Something no right there..must be something going on"

A big part of me thinks they should just ditch it to save the hassle of folk who get ragin at them on Twitter because there hasb't been an update for a couple of hours.

26 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

I thought Johnstone had a difficult time on Saturday, a little surprised to see so many say he played well. O'Donnell will certainly come back in.

Not having a go at the kid, fair play for being ready for the first team at 17.

You'd have to bring O'Donnell back in, even though he's been disappointing.

I get the square pegs/round holes argument folk are making, but with what's available, it must be tempting to go with the best you have (?) and find a way to make it work. Maybe.

Johnstone at least looked interested, but moving him into an unfamiliar position on his second start at 17 would obviously be really unfair on the laddie.

Ricki Lamie was brought in as cover for central defence, but through circumstances played a number of games at left back. Of late he's hardly been outstanding but has not been as poor as some.  In the short to medium term I'd say he's worth his place in the team, until other return.

As others say, the gap between our midfield and strikers has been huge and although thats partly down to the mix of midfielders we have its also down to the formation. Tonight first and foremost we have to protect the defence to make us more solid. It that means moving to a 4-4-2 formation or 3-5-2 or whatever then so be it.  But our strikers do deserve some support.

44 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

You'd have to bring O'Donnell back in, even though he's been disappointing.

I get the square pegs/round holes argument folk are making, but with what's available, it must be tempting to go with the best you have (?) and find a way to make it work. Maybe.

Johnstone at least looked interested, but moving him into an unfamiliar position on his second start at 17 would obviously be really unfair on the laddie.

ODonnell played in a kind of RWB/RFB role for Scotland and from memory did well in the more forward position so why not keep young Johnstone at FB and play ODonnell in front of him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, superward said:

In regards the chat on the injury list on the website. I do like the fact that it's there and keeps us, as fans, up to date.

However, I can also imagine the management team want to keep some things under wraps so the opposition can't work out from a quick look on a  public website who is defintely out ahead of the match.  I'm sure the opposition have other ways of finding the real info out (contacts, ex players etc) but why make it easy?

In addition it has itself brought unwarranted criticism from fans when something changes in a players rehab.  e.g. "How come he was meant to be back in December and now it says March? Something no right there..must be something going on"

A big part of me thinks they should just ditch it to save the hassle of folk who get ragin at them on Twitter because there hasb't been an update for a couple of hours.

Less is more?

2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

I thought Johnstone had a difficult time on Saturday, a little surprised to see so many say he played well. O'Donnell will certainly come back in.

Not having a go at the kid, fair play for being ready for the first team at 17.

I thought he did ok, he never sold the jerseys which is the bar by which we measure the current defence.  He had some nervous prods forward early on but by the end of the match he was sweeping up balls behind his team mates.  As full debuts go I think he got pass marks.

4 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

well said - I back you for manager.

it's also clear Watt isn't a goal scorer  - the #10 role is plain and obvious and frankly we can't afford both him and Polworth in the same team at the same time.

Plain and obvious to us meer fans of our club but not too the manager and his backroom staff,so many different shapes to the team that can accomadate the same players he has at his disposal,can cole play up top on his own and withdraw long and watt in to bolster the midfield(can long play that role?)when we dont have the ball as in a 4,3,2,1,or have long and cole closer together in a 4,3,1,2..glad im not GA damned if he does,damned if he doesn't 

I may have missed  something  on here previously ( due to the shit you have to take sometimes on this site  i don't always trawl  through the vitriol before posting (Silly me eh)) but i have checked team stats for the past few years and as I thought Barry Maguire is always listed as a defender, So why are we not playing him as one .  Is that too sensible. ? I seek forgiveness in advance if i have offended any of the usual demigods  of all things MFC on here by daring to post this, :banghead:

1 hour ago, Erskine Alpha said:

I would play 4 in midfield with OD in there on the right with the hope of increasing the supply to the front men

Anything but this.

14 minutes ago, 2/6 tae get in said:

I may have missed  something  on here previously ( due to the shit you have to take sometimes on this site  i don't always trawl  through the vitriol before posting (Silly me eh)) but i have checked team stats for the past few years and as I thought Barry Maguire is always listed as a defender, So why are we not playing him as one .  Is that too sensible. ? I seek forgiveness in advance if i have offended any of the usual demigods  of all things MFC on here by daring to post this, :banghead:

Not the worst idea in the world, although we are already very short in the middle of the park so with an injury list as long as ours we can't sacrifice another body that can play in the middle.

2 hours ago, santheman said:

ODonnell played in a kind of RWB/RFB role for Scotland and from memory did well in the more forward position so why not keep young Johnstone at FB and play ODonnell in front of him.

I always stay out of the chat about formations because I know nothing about it (and very little about the rest) but this seems like a really sensible option for this evening. 

They say that two banks of four is hard to break down (and we need to become hard to break down). Johnston would have cover from O'Donnell who in turn would provide an attacking threat. As was mentioned, he looked good when going forward with Scotland. 

The rest of the team picks itself given the threadbare nature of the current situation.