Season 2020’21: Game 30: St Mirren (A)

Andy_P

As 2/6 tae get in said

"I may have missed  something  on here previously ( due to the shit you have to take sometimes on this site  i don't always trawl  through the vitriol before posting (Silly me eh)) but i have checked team stats for the past few years and as I thought Barry Maguire is always listed as a defender, So why are we not playing him as one .  Is that too sensible. ? I seek forgiveness in advance if i have offended any of the usual demigods  of all things MFC on here by daring to post this"

Some sense at last.

Back to when the youths played Ross Co in the whatever cup it was, Maguire was outstanding at centre half, especially when his centre half partner was red carded. 

For some strange reason, Robinson decided to convert the boy to a midfielder.    I don't remember him starting a single game as a centre half in the first team.

Lasley could have done the club a favour by telling Alexander that Maguire is the 2nd best centre half on our books out of position.  Meanwhile we field a set of mediocre , at best, centre halves.  The latest Macgloire looks no more than a right footed Zak Jules

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The wee man said:

As 2/6 tae get in said

"I may have missed  something  on here previously ( due to the shit you have to take sometimes on this site  i don't always trawl  through the vitriol before posting (Silly me eh)) but i have checked team stats for the past few years and as I thought Barry Maguire is always listed as a defender, So why are we not playing him as one .  Is that too sensible. ? I seek forgiveness in advance if i have offended any of the usual demigods  of all things MFC on here by daring to post this"

Some sense at last.

Back to when the youths played Ross Co in the whatever cup it was, Maguire was outstanding at centre half, especially when his centre half partner was red carded. 

For some strange reason, Robinson decided to convert the boy to a midfielder.    I don't remember him starting a single game as a centre half in the first team.

Lasley could have done the club a favour by telling Alexander that Maguire is the 2nd best centre half on our books out of position.  Meanwhile we field a set of mediocre , at best, centre halves.  The latest Macgloire looks no more than a right footed Zak Jules

The young guy Devine looked like a prospect in centre  of defence too but has never had a chance. 

1 hour ago, 2/6 tae get in said:

I may have missed  something  on here previously ( due to the shit you have to take sometimes on this site  i don't always trawl  through the vitriol before posting (Silly me eh)) but i have checked team stats for the past few years and as I thought Barry Maguire is always listed as a defender, So why are we not playing him as one .  Is that too sensible. ? I seek forgiveness in advance if i have offended any of the usual demigods  of all things MFC on here by daring to post this, :banghead:

he started life a defender - got found out not to be good enough

went back to the reserves - came back as a midfielder 

He's slow and will get caught out - but can he be any worse than Lamie is the key question 

10 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

He's slow and will get caught out - but can he be any worse than Lamie is the key question 

Yep ,think he would be worth putting back in in centre of defence. No worse that any who played there on Saturday.

24 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

He never you know. Was brought to the club  having excelled in a wide position during youth football.

Not sure what the team will be today but even although we played like shite the last game if we can cut out the basic defensive errors we at least have a chance of a 0-0 draw. We gifted St Johnstone 2 goals and their second was clearly offside although if we had actually managed to clear our lines that would not have been an issue. Hoping for a different formation and attitude today. 

A lot of folk on twitter annoyed at Johnstone being dropped. He done okay on Saturday, nothing more nothing less, he turned 17 about 8 weeks ago, we need all the experience we can get on the park just now, he will get plenty of chances, we need points on the board first.

Not the time to be chucking boys in at the deep end, whether you agree or not O'Donnell is the sensible approach. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

He never you know. Was brought to the club  having excelled in a wide position during youth football.

I hadn't realised that - think young Johntstone was the same and has ended up as wing back.

When he first came into the first team I thought he was put in as centre half but he looked slow.  Could be my fading memory though. 

Not at all optimistic. 

Good that Campbell is back but very concerned about central defence. Very concerned. I would have started McGinley over Magloire. He looked out his depth at the weekend. 

And to top it all two of St Mirren best players that were missing have miraculously recovered. 

Thanks SPFL. We have a side beset with injuries and they have a full squad. You kinda knew that was how it would pan out.

4 minutes ago, milo said:

That formation has got us slaughtered the past two games. We need an extra man in midfield. Surely McGinley is a better option than Magloire? Or move Maguire back? 

Im stunned we've not moved to a 3-5-2 to get the full team further up the park.   There's a few variations that could work eg have Roberts as left/right midfield or drop Watt into the hole .

but it does look like the same shitty formation that's been piss poor for what fees like a life sentence. 

15 minutes ago, milo said:

That formation has got us slaughtered the past two games. We need an extra man in midfield. Surely McGinley is a better option than Magloire? Or move Maguire back? 

This.  Not as bad as Saturday but not that much better.

Listening to Goodwin on the Radio. Their 2 best midfield players are not entirely fit but are willing to put their bodies on the line. Pretty much sums up the shitshow with our injured players. Not saying they are at it but I get the feeling we would not see that at Motherwell sadly. 

Oh and also hoping that they can overload the 3 Motherwell midfielders in the middle of the park. Shame our Manager cannot see that. If they do overrun us in midfield then GA can head back down the road. Lets wait till FT but giving up midfield rarely works well.