Season 2020’21: Game 30: St Mirren (A)

Andy_P

Fair point there. We looked the better team in general, but St Mirren forced the good save from Kelly and the great block by Carroll at the end.

A wee but of luck might have seen us win it, but after those last two games that was a good performance to see. I would have been happy with a better performance and a point, so I'll take it. 

Roberts played well, his pace helped us a lot and he was willing to take a chance from distance, and Cole came onto a better game in the second half. Watt was Watt.

Campbell in that advanced role really makes the difference, and that was some amount of work he put in after coming back from illness.

Considering the two games that came before it, that was alright... a good point and a rare clean sheet.

On the positive side, every player played their part and all had at least one or two moments of good play. We looked much more solid and energetic, and in the second half even had a few minutes of what you might call 'pressure' around the St Mirren box. 

On the negative side, I don't think Alnwick had a save to make in 90 minutes, and we rely far too heavily on Tony Watt to create something going forward.  And Kelly had to make a great save to make sure we didn't face another defeat.  

7 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Ugly to watch, but I don't think we can expect much more than we got from the players, so well done, good point. Lose games like that and relegation starts to sneak up on you.

Not ugly from us, we at least tried to play from the back,  and kicked it long when we had to,  St Mirren  were route 1, kicking it long from the 1st minute, we played a lot of good football,  lacked the killer touch up top but a very good point overall.

Much better.

Body language was very good from the start. Was a bit concerned to see it was still a 4-3-3 but the return of SOD, Campbell and the introduction of Roberts appeared to give us more energy.

I thought it was a fairly even first half albeit we offered more in the final third than they did. However, 2nd half we were the better team without carving them open. 

All in all a good point. Coulda been 3, but nice to stop the rot and see a reaction from the players after the last 2 very disappointing showings.

Happy with a point against a team we've struggled against in recent times. No shortage of effort which is all I'll ever ask. Just as others have said, we just need to be a bit more refined up top. Agree 100% that Campbell is most effective in the middle to front role. The one thing I don't get is the dislike for a Maguire. I don't think he did much wrong at all. Assured and composed on the ball, a good reader of the game and that daft freekick/miscontrol aside he rarely gave it away. 

we didn't sit as deep which was helpful and we won a lot more 1st and 2nd balls. Many players improved. 

Still don't believe the front 3 work  - hopefully lawless comes in and we can play with a winger and start stretching teams as we don't look like scoring and continually try to thread it through a very packed defence.   

Just now, wellup83 said:

The one thing I don't get is the dislike for a Maguire. I don't think he did much wrong at all. Assured and composed on the ball and that daft freekick/miscontrol aside he rarely gave it away. 

he got skinned very easily by the likes of Tait several times and quite cheaply. He's what's wrong with much of our squad - just not quite good enough for this level.  

Great result.  The whole dynamic changes again a suddenly we look like a team who could sneak a result or two before the split. 

The BBC analysis of a few days back would have it that three points will see us safe. I think we may need just a few more than that to be sure. Ross County's epic run under Jim McIntyre in the Baraclough playoff seasons shows that it is possible for bottom sides to put heroic runs together. 

My wish for tonight (forlorn as it is) is that the branding of players being pish and shite before they have even kicked a ball be tempered somewhat. 

Jordan Whyte is proof that given a chance  these boys can perform and make a difference. Roberts tonight, Lamie tonight the same. They are not professional football players for no reason. 

A good night all round. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Not ugly from us, we at least tried to play from the back,  and kicked it long when we had to,  St Mirren  were route 1, kicking it long from the 1st minute, we played a lot of good football,  lacked the killer touch up top but a very good point overall.

I'd go with Lamie's description, gritty and determined, but no complaints tonight.

I haven't been a big fan of Crawford or Lamie, but I thought they were both solid today.  Lamie in particular as he had to deal with Magloire feeling his way into the game, which he eventually did and put in a good performance himself. 

The key was sticking to the basics and not asking the players to do things they cant do, and as a result we looked way more organized and composed. I was worried that we would come into this one shell shocked after those games, fair play to Alexander for setting them up to grind out a decent result. 

• Like 1

Dug in well tonight which isn’t necessarily something I was expecting from this group. The return of Campbell in the middle gave us a bit of impetus in the middle of the park and showed (if it needed to be shown) what an absolute jersey robber Polworth is. Roberts contributed more tonight than Hastie has all season or Seedorf has in 2 years. Not great quality and we do look suspect at centre half but we showed a lot of effort. Credit to Watt who ran himself into the ground again.
Might not have many lovers on here and didn’t play the best tonight but Maguire plays with heart for Motherwell and sometimes as a fan, it’s all you want to see. Could have performed much better but won’t fault the guy for commitment. 

4 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

Not sure what the team will be today but even although we played like shite the last game if we can cut out the basic defensive errors we at least have a chance of a 0-0 draw. We gifted St Johnstone 2 goals and their second was clearly offside although if we had actually managed to clear our lines that would not have been an issue. Hoping for a different formation and attitude today. 

Well, almost got it right bar the same old 4-3-3.  Cutting out the stupid mistakes helps a lot. Better attitude tonight as well. 

2 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

A good point and stops the rot,   think Polworth and long will struggle to get back in team as we need grafters.   Crawford ar least gives you that and well done Lamie......he gets absolute pelters ( including from me at times) but he was solid tonight

Polworth will be finished as a Motherwell player - doesn't offer enough.
Long - should only play in the traditional no 9 jersey.  Either Cole or Long but not both.
Crawford works hard and a decent squad player  - no better or worse than Grimmie.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wellowell said:

Wanted 3 due to circumstances around game and league position obviously , Gallagher on Twitter saying he should be back on Saturday so time will tell 

Surely not, one or two should be apologising if true. Anyway a great point I never though we would get so well done to all.

20 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

he got skinned very easily by the likes of Tait several times and quite cheaply. He's what's wrong with much of our squad - just not quite good enough for this level.  

We either develop the youngsters in the first team knowing they will make mistakes (but gain experience) or we don't.

I know which approach I prefer.

• Like 1