Season 2020’21: Game 30: St Mirren (A)

Andy_P

Now, that offered a bit more reassurance! 

Regardless of circumstances I'm always of the belief that a point away from in this league is no bad thing.  I think to get a point tonight though, on the back of the last two results and performances lifts some of the pressure that's been building and the performance offers some belief.

It would have been absolutely lovely to have got the win both to help with the current predicament and to ram it up them for the Covid-19 carry on, but even though it wasn't a win it feels like a goods night work.

In a broader sense I enjoyed the fact that reading beforehand I was seeing St Mirren fans saying they were now back at full strength and how they couldn't see anything other than a home win tonight. Well, that full strength side with top six ambitions and all looked second best for much of that game to an under strength away side but the key thing was to stop the rot and that that we did that with a clean sheet was a real boost. A lot of players stepped up out there tonight.

It doesn't quite give us a security of a seven point advantage over the bottom two that was a possibility beforehand but I would hope that performances of that standard and if we can continue to eek out the wins and draws we had have been doing, the Hamilton and St Johnstone abominations aside, should see us all right.

Encouraging.

• Like 4

A much improved performance with a bit of determination and with a bit more luck really should have won it. 

Shows you how bad been we’d been that an encouraging point away to the best St Mirren side in 30 years can give us (false) hope. 

1 point from 9 and 1 goal scored (a penalty at that) v Accies, St Johnstone and St Mirren is a pish poor haul though and still needs us to take a minimum of 4 points before the split.

Some of those points need to come v Killie also.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Maybe our tactic that worked tonight is start playing guys that after named are Scottish food products.....Crawford (biscuits),  Campbell (soup),   Rikki Scotch Lamie and Tony McKellar Watt!!!,   if only we had a playmaker called Andy Kwenchy Kup !!!  Lol

I remember someone on here saying they approved of our policy of signing players named after butlers. Jennings, Giles, and Humphrey!

• Haha 1

Ironically, tonight we played the ball forward quickly, looking for the strikers heads a lot of the time. We never did that when we were giving White or that other big cunt a run out.

However, a lot of players stepped up tonight and could have sneaked it. Only a couple of times did they look scoring, at the start of the 2nd half and right at the end.  Not really a lot to complain about in that performance. Crawford looked better as the furthest back of the three, Campbell looked better going forward, SOD looked pretty solid and professional, even Lamie had a decent game. Magliore was OK but he's not good in the air and a bomb scare with the ball at his feet, but to be fair, that time he tracked over to the left to clear was good defending.. Roberts looks quite energetic.  Encouraging performance after the last couple of dross performances.

Much, much better. If we continue to put that in each week, with a few faces returning from injury, we'll be safe. Thought Campbell playing further up the park was the change that linked the front three to the rest of the team. Some nice passing around the box which was unheard of for months.  Also, credit to the defence  in limiting St Mirren to next to nothing. 

11 hours ago, milo said:

A much improved performance with a bit of determination and with a bit more luck really should have won it. 

Shows you how bad been we’d been that an encouraging point away to the best St Mirren side in 30 years can give us (false) hope. 

1 point from 9 and 1 goal scored (a penalty at that) v Accies, St Johnstone and St Mirren is a pish poor haul though and still needs us to take a minimum of 4 points before the split.

Some of those points need to come v Killie also.

1 point in 3 is pish.

10 points in 6 is more than decent particularly given how bad we have been. 6 matches is the rule of thumb for the form guide. We are no-where near the bottom.

3 hours ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

dunno how much we are paying for putting hastie up here? hopefully nit much.

Robert's offered more in one game than he has all season.

You could say the same about Long who is our player and has way more opportunities than Hastie to show what he has got....

57 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

You could say the same about Long who is our player and has way more opportunities than Hastie to show what he has got....

Play Long through the middle with a partner and he is a totally different player 

It’s a waste of time and space playing him out wide

All part of Robinsons master plan of can play across the front 3 positions Unfortunately it has never worked

4 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

For me Long is not interested in being at the club, his attitude is questionable every game he plays, as you say he has had plenty of chances to show what he's got, but it never happens.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

I think people confuse Long's demeanour with his ability,

He reminds me a bit of Alan Rough when he played. Continuously scunnered.

You get away with being huffy and moaning faced if you score goals, as is the case with Morelos, but continually turning out and contributing next to nothing game after game, your attitude and ability will be questioned.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

I think people confuse Long's demeanour with his ability,

He reminds me a bit of Alan Rough when he played. Continuously scunnered.

Absolutely.  You contrast that with someone like Michel Doesburg to pluck a name from the past. Adored  because he applauded the fans, did the badge kissing routine and gave the odd pumped fist. Absolved him from so much blame because well, he's a nice guy ain't he, claps the fans....

6 hours ago, wellwell91 said:

Play Long through the middle with a partner and he is a totally different player 

It’s a waste of time and space playing him out wide

Completely agree and know this isn't a popular view. He'd be my preferred choice through the middle. I think he's much better than Cole and would bang in more goals.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wellsince75 said:

Completely agree and know this isn't a popular view. He'd be my preferred choice through the middle. I think he's much better than Cole and would bang in more goals.

if he was up to much hed be the first pick every week. One manager not making him a first pick every week can be a case of tactics , two managers not making him a first pick every week its ability and attitude in question..