Season 2020’21: Game 30: St Mirren (A)

Andy_P

3 hours ago, Andy_P said:

Absolutely.  You contrast that with someone like Michel Doesburg to pluck a name from the past. Adored  because he applauded the fans, did the badge kissing routine and gave the odd pumped fist. Absolved him from so much blame because well, he's a nice guy ain't he, claps the fans....

I always find your input balanced and inciteful Andy, so Im curious re your response here. Do you think Chris Long has shown enough at his time at the club and do you think his attitude is good? 

A lot of the comments on his attitude aren’t based on much other than he looks grumpy all the time. For some players injuries and dips in form are accepted, but for others there has to be more to it.  He’s shown he can finish when he’s played through the middle, and he puts in plenty of work when out on the wing. Plenty of us were happy to see him come back this season, but he hasn’t done so well this time around. He is better through the middle, so I’d prefer if we used him there either from the start or as a sub, and use real wingers on the wings.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I always find your input balanced and inciteful Andy, so Im curious re your response here. Do you think Chris Long has shown enough at his time at the club and do you think his attitude is good? 

Taking the attitude part first I don't know, and I don't think that many of the folk who from early on in his Motherwell career decided he had an attitude problem really know either.  I think it is one of these statements that has been repeated often enough to be considered as fact by some .The only ones who will really know that will be his team-mates and management. 

His petulance at Hamilton away in February last year did not reflect well on him certainly but maybe significant that if his attitude is as a bad alleged he simply wasn't cut loose at the end of last season rather than left with an offer on the table pretty much right up until the days before the new season started.

I think his disinterest in coveting adoration from supporters hasn't helped endear him to the support certainly, and I don't think his body language can do him favours at times but because he looks like he's a torn faced moaning shite when things don't go his way or he was never one for running arms aloft saluting supporters does not necessarily mean there is a lack of effort or care on his part.  As has been discussed over the past few days running about a lot and being the supports best pal can disguise a fair bit.

Has he shown enough?  I certainly don't think he's as good as he appeared to think he was when he left Blackpool. I haven't seen close to enough to suggest he was worthy of a shot at a team in the English Championship as he appeared to aspire to at that stage of his career.  In terms of us I think as fixozy has gone on to say there's definitely a player there that in the right set up can make a contribution for Motherwell.

• Like 1

Sorry, Andy/Fizoxy,  I should have perhaps clarified my own position before posing the question.

I dont really care whether Chris Long never ever smiles in a Motherwell shirt, and Im not that bothered about him not being a badge kisser.  For me actions speak louder than anything and for me his body language and work rate on the pitch leaves a lot to be desired.

Ive no doubt that there is a player in there somewhere and I thought when he returned we could get the best out of him. You get brief flashes of it every now and again like his goal against Dundee United. However these are just that, flashes. 

We are in a relegation battle and I want to see all of our players roll up their sleaves and do whatever it takes to secure our premiership status, regardless of whether they are being played out of position or not. 

For me Long just doesnt do enough and doesnt look as if he cares enough to put in the hard yards. It speaks volumes for me that a guy plucked from Hearts reserves can show more desire in 90 mins than Long has all season.

Id love to be proved wrong with him (like I was with Tony Watt) but Im not sure we can afford the luxury of finding out right now.

• Like 1

Absolutely.  You contrast that with someone like Michel Doesburg to pluck a name from the past. Adored  because he applauded the fans, did the badge kissing routine and gave the odd pumped fist. Absolved him from so much blame because well, he's a nice guy ain't he, claps the fans....
I'll take Doesburg in that team right now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Andy_P said:

Taking the attitude part first I don't know, and I don't think that many of the folk who from early on in his Motherwell career decided he had an attitude problem really know either.  I think it is one of these statements that has been repeated often enough to be considered as fact by some .The only ones who will really know that will be his team-mates and management. 

His petulance at Hamilton away in February last year did not reflect well on him certainly but maybe significant that if his attitude is as a bad alleged he simply wasn't cut loose at the end of last season rather than left with an offer on the table pretty much right up until the days before the new season started.

I think his disinterest in coveting adoration from supporters hasn't helped endear him to the support certainly, and I don't think his body language can do him favours at times but because he looks like he's a torn faced moaning shite when things don't go his way or he was never one for running arms aloft saluting supporters does not necessarily mean there is a lack of effort or care on his part.  As has been discussed over the past few days running about a lot and being the supports best pal can disguise a fair bit.

Has he shown enough?  I certainly don't think he's as good as he appeared to think he was when he left Blackpool. I haven't seen close to enough to suggest he was worthy of a shot at a team in the English Championship as he appeared to aspire to at that stage of his career.  In terms of us I think as fixozy has gone on to say there's definitely a player there that in the right set up can make a contribution for Motherwell.

9 league goals in two seasons and nearly 50 appearances.

So in a way you are right that his attitude isn't really relevant.  Not good enough.  Tatty bye.

3 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

9 league goals in two seasons and nearly 50 appearances.

So in a way you are right that his attitude isn't really relevant.  Not good enough.  Tatty bye.

he's been played out wide and many appearances as a sub.   

His interview was interesting - he clearly wants the number 9 and to be played through the middle . He's the most likely person we have to put the ball in the net. 

Completely agree that out of position he doesn't work hard enough and perhaps thats enough reason to drop him.  Personally I'd have given him a handful of games in his position to prove himself but I'm not the one seeing him in training etc every day so got to trust the mgrs decision.