Season 2020’21: Game 30: St Mirren (A)

Andy_P

14 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Sorry, which team are you referring to? Jim Gannon's or Graham Alexander's?

Sticking with the short bye kick routine, and the fact that the opposition have all sussed we aren't very good at it, is actually reminiscent of Gannon's determination to stick to the routine where the 'keeper had to roll the ball forward to Hately (facing his own goal) to build play. The opposition knew that by pushing a couple of players on to Hately when the 'keeper had the ball they could put us in trouble. All very well if you then push the ball wide instead and take those 2 players out the game but it appeared we had to stick to that instruction no matter what.

• Like 1

Ideally we need several of the injured players back for this but either way we need to find a way to shit festing our way to taking at least a point from this.

If you take 3 horsings in a row from Accies, St Johnstone and St Mirren at this stage of the season then it doesn’t bode well. 

1 hour ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

by the law of averages we should have a couple of players back,  I hope

the way things have gone though...no players back and watt injured 

I assume the players that went off on Saturday will be suffering from a knee injury

On 2/21/2021 at 10:21 AM, Yorkyred said:

I would have fancied our chances with a full squad, with what we have available now I can’t see anything other than another heavy defeat regardless of formation. We simply don’t have enough of our important first team players available.

I've seen Motherwell beat Celtic with Jamie Dolan in goals.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I've seen Motherwell beat Celtic with Jamie Dolan in goals.

That team had players with character in it. 

For Wednesday, and going forward, I'd be going 352. We have no wingers that offer anything and with a defence as porous as it's been in the last couple of games, having another body in there couldn't do any more harm than we're already doing to ourselves. Problem will be the number of available (competent) players to play centre half. 

God knows what the lineup will be...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

That team had players with character in it. 

For Wednesday, and going forward, I'd be going 352. We have no wingers that offer anything and with a defence as porous as it's been in the last couple of games, having another body in there couldn't do any more harm than we're already doing to ourselves. Problem will be the number of available (competent) players to play centre half. 

God knows what the lineup will be...

They still nearly got relegated though!

And the current situation is better if only because we aren't playing in quarters.

12 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

They still nearly got relegated though!

And the current situation is better if only because we aren't playing in quarters.

That shirt would have been fine with single colour shorts. 

Indeed, they nearly got relegated. Nearly being the key word there. I suspect we'll be saying of this season "we nearly stayed up"...

That was one of my favourite seasons supporting Motherwell, outside of all the dross there were some great moments, i was young and naive, and I think that was my first and only season where I made every game. I think that was also the year I sent Alex Mcleish a letter recommending that he sign players from Africa, perhaps inspired by Tony Yeboah, and he replied to me on a post it note. 

• Like 1

I remember those seasons well.

That was the season we only stayed up by somehow beating Rangers at ibrox in the second last game.

The following season also went down to the penultimate game and we required favours as we lost the last 4 or 5 games.

It’s worth noting as bad as we were in those seasons we beat Rangers and Celtic each in both seasons!

We’ve rode our luck so many times it might finally run out this year.

1 hour ago, fizoxy said:

That was one of my favourite seasons supporting Motherwell, outside of all the dross there were some great moments, i was young and naive, and I think that was my first and only season where I made every game. I think that was also the year I sent Alex Mcleish a letter recommending that he sign players from Africa, perhaps inspired by Tony Yeboah, and he replied to me on a post it note. 

Did you unearth Eliphas Shivute...?!

1 hour ago, fizoxy said:

You didn't write to him and tell him to sign a striker from Spurs "that was only being kept out of the first team by Jurgen Klinsman" did you ????

I am Scunnered  by the team and the manager

No fight or heart in the team

Scunnered by injuries

Scunnered by the seven signings made in January. Only Kelly has worked. Magloire the only other one to get a start. Mystery surrounds Foley, Nolan and Smith absences. Smith and Roberts look no better than White and Seedorf.

Scunnered by the managers tactics. Our three man midfield gets over run when Campbell and O'Hara are there. On Saturday we have three Championship level midfielders and he persisted with the system. What did he expect to happen. With a make shift defence he should have been giving them maximum protection. The short passing at bye kick might be alright with a team full of confidence but not with this lot. Anyway one of the best long passers in the team is the goalie so why not use him.

I have watched every away game this season apart from Rangers and Celtic but will be missing out on Wednesday. The six o'clock start does not go down well with Mrs Sinjy as she has spent all day in the kitchen preparing a Cordon Bleu meal and she is scunnered when half way through the meal I leave the table to set up the lap top.

It is not worth the hassle any more.

• Like 1

In my view it’s far too early to be judging the manager, he’s hardly thought the door. As much as I wanted Robinson to stay the next guy also needs to be given a decent length of time. The managerial Merry go round never works, ask St Mirren fans who hounded out Danny Lennon who got them to a cup final and had a half decent record at Premiership level, that really went well.

Don't believe any of the recents were signed by Alexander more likely to have been recommended by our scout (Tonto) and probably the deals were to far down the road to stop them . I do agree however that his persistence with a 3 in midfield has been nonsense a midfield 5 makes better sense in our position will settle for a point . Have said it before will take a while to get rid of the pish Robinson signed so will gladly accept tenth 

You can see why we went with 3 in midfield to try and get our 3 strikers on the pitch. Right now they're probably the best three outfield players that were available (Long is a big question granted, but he has the ability) for selection.

Now we hopefully have some more options I can see somethings changing in terms of shape. What that ends up being is a different matter. Maybe a diamond with Carroll and O'Donnell putting in a shift, depends how St Mirren line up mind you.

28 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

As long as we stay up, Alexander should be given time to sort things out. If we go down, either he goes or Burrows walks, because someone has to take responsibility for this shambles. Whatever happens, the recruitment guru is toast.

I'm hoping that he's already got a shopping list for next season assuming we stay up 

He must have loads of decent players in mind but harder to attract them if we're playing in the championship.

Still think there's a place for the recruitment guru to identify players but we must do more due diligence before signing them. IE make sure they're no crocked or at least played in the last 6 months.

1 hour ago, Yodo said:

Don't believe any of the recents were signed by Alexander more likely to have been recommended by our scout (Tonto) and probably the deals were to far down the road to stop them . I do agree however that his persistence with a 3 in midfield has been nonsense a midfield 5 makes better sense in our position will settle for a point . Have said it before will take a while to get rid of the pish Robinson signed so will gladly accept tenth 

Here we go, another deflection back to Robinson. 

It was all Robinson's players this, Robinson's players that right up until about half-time in Dingwall.  Not a peep thereafter about them being Robinson's players when they won three in fairly quick succession. We lose to Hamilton and lo and behold suddenly we're back to it's all Robinson's players again.

We are to believe that Alexander is going to relocate his family lock, stock and barrel a couple of hundred miles up the road having knocked back several jobs beforehand because they weren't suitable but is happy to accept a position at a team struggling near the bottom of the table where he he has little or no say in half a dozen players being foisted on him.   Really? We really think he's going to take on the job in those circumstances?

He took over on something like 7th January.  Smith, Nolan, Magloire, Roberts and Foley were all signed at least a fortnight, some of them three weeks later. And they are supposed to be too far down the line to stop?

Laughable.

• Like 2

I am still very much in the give Alexander time camp. Despite last 2 calamitous losses we are middle of the form table over past 6 games. 

Whilst I will say he is part responsible for Hamilton it would have taken a magician to get anything from that starting 11 on Saturday.  He cannot be blamed for injuries, nor player contracts, nor players not battling during a game. 

Sure he has to shoulder some blame for the Jan signings. Most of whom would have been identified beforehand. We do not  know whether we tried to get other players or some that GA recommended but Kelly and Lawless injury aside the rest well....been as well signing nobody.

If he keeps us up he will have fulfilled his initial task. If not I would assume there is a clause in the contract allowing either party to move on. He may decide to stay and the club may think he has promise to get us back to premiership or not.