Season 2020’21: Game 30: St Mirren (A)

Andy_P

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Don’t want to dwell on it but Thistle hadn’t won a league match in 2020, still haven’t, the game in hand was worthless.  PPG was the best way of evaluating the season.

We need to get a few more points on the board before we can rely on PPG...

Interesting fact is SPFL have said any games to be replayed must be done so on 1st available free week well us and Killie have a free week this week so why has it not been arranged . This makes me think they have not reached a decision on whether we will be awarded points or game rearranged as should be this week if the latter . 

• Andy_P changed the title to Season 2020’21: St Mirren (A)
4 hours ago, Brazilian said:

It’s pretty concerning  at the significant lack of understanding displayed by so many individuals in this and on other some social media threads  

im not sure if it’s just because of the football competition that folk are losing general common sense or if as some have mentioned it’s just confusing and perhaps people are clutching at anything to justify behaviours (of others and themselves)

If there is a significant lack of understanding by so many individuals Iain, then suggests a widespread problem.  I was always taught that if one person didn't understand what you were saying then you and not they had the problem - ok thats a bit exaggerated, but you'll get the drift.

The Covid 19 rules differ across Scotland and the UK and are complicated. Many folk, including myself, don't understand them all.  Also ordinary folk and organisations within Scotland are also following different sets of rules and guidelines and that adds to the confusion. For example the media keeps referring to the additional measures applied to the "central belt". Thats wrong and misleading. This caused confusion in Fife, which although part of the central belt, is not subject to these extra measures.  Guidelines for football differ both between leagues and also between other sectors/industries.

Yes, there's understandable frustration too amongst fans and you're right in that. Yesterday St Mirren were still taking £12.50 from fans wanting to view the game on the box, minutes before the game was officially put off. Why couldn't they have suspended that process as soon as they knew they were going to press for a "postponement/cancellation" call it what you will. There's also frustration that the investigation into the Kilmarnock game, which was cancelled just over 3 weeks ago, has not yet reported back, at least publicly.

In this pandemic, health must come first of course, but that doesn't mean to say issues like this should be ignored.

So please don't be too hard on us.

10 hours ago, ropy said:

I think he was speaking for himself, he said he wanted Rangers to win the league and got tore into Lennon.

Really?  I look forward to the hounding about not speaking about other teams because as we know under absolutely no circumstances does any employee of Celtic EVER talk about the opposition or their players...

The argument of a fixture backlog is complete nonsense, there is plenty of opportunity to fit games in, we could play the Killie game this week for eg, and the st mirren next wednesday if we really had to. We don't compete in Europe and the two cups are already in the calendar. I think the unfortunate thing for us is that most of our players are now going a month without a game, .

we might well have played a bounce game at some point, I don't know.

understand that it's a freak situation and i'd be surprised if it happens again but say the same situation arises this week does it start to put us at a disadvantage?

1 hour ago, Neilwell86 said:

The argument of a fixture backlog is complete nonsense, there is plenty of opportunity to fit games in, we could play the Killie game this week for eg, and the st mirren next wednesday if we really had to.

It's not nonsense. The clubs were told that if they want a full season there is only one free weekend in the schedule (and no winter break).

It's almost guaranteed there will be games postponed for weather during the winter, and even more likely there will be a spike in Coronavirus cases during that time too.

So if there are zero additional cancellations between now and the end of the season we can just about fit them in. We all know that isn't going to be the case.

And if there are no consequences, any team that wants to wait until they get key players back from injury can just decide to pull out 2 hours before kick-off.

32 minutes ago, weeyin said:

It's not nonsense. The clubs were told that if they want a full season there is only one free weekend in the schedule (and no winter break).

It's almost guaranteed there will be games postponed for weather during the winter, and even more likely there will be a spike in Coronavirus cases during that time too.

So if there are zero additional cancellations between now and the end of the season we can just about fit them in. We all know that isn't going to be the case.

And if there are no consequences, any team that wants to wait until they get key players back from injury can just decide to pull out 2 hours before kick-off.

is that really the case though? why can't we fulfil the Kilmarnock fixture either tomorrow or wednesday, both clubs also have no fixtures lined up either day next week, I don't know what the SFA/SPFL consider a free week but both of those sounds free to me.

we started the league the same weekend we normally would, and aside from 4 league cup group stage games (which still took place over the international break, and are concluded on the next international break) why is there so few free weeks if that is indeed the case?

6 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

is that really the case though? why can't we fulfil the Kilmarnock fixture either tomorrow or wednesday, both clubs also have no fixtures lined up either day next week, I don't know what the SFA/SPFL consider a free week but both of those sounds free to me.

Only possibility I can think of is that the Killie investigation is still live. Awarding us the points (rightly or wrongly) is a potential outcome of Killie being held liable for the cancellation, Playing the game before the verdict could mean playing a meaningless fixture if we are awarded the points anyway. That does raise the question as to why the investigation is taking so long.

1 hour ago, dennyc said:

Only possibility I can think of is that the Killie investigation is still live. Awarding us the points (rightly or wrongly) is a potential outcome of Killie being held liable for the cancellation, Playing the game before the verdict could mean playing a meaningless fixture if we are awarded the points anyway. That does raise the question as to why the investigation is taking so long.

Thats exactly my take on it.

Does anyone actually know what protocols have been put in place by the SPFL that the teams must follow.

Im  thinking in terms of how many  players are allowed to be part of a “bubble” so that any spread can be more effectively controlled as it seems that is where the controversy over the cancellation is stemming from.

1 hour ago, dennyc said:

I would not be holding my breath waiting for the SPFL to report back for the Killie, St Mirren or any other games they will allegedly investigate.

Its been over 2 weeks since the Killie call off and we have heard nothing, how difficult can it be to establish how the players all tested positive, protocols and rules were either followed or not.

They are probably running it past their legal team at Kerrydale St, before announcing it

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

They are probably running it past their legal team at Kerrydale St, before announcing it

I think those pleasant folk at Kerrydale St might be fully occupied devising reasons why the League cannot be declared on a PPG basis no matter what CoVid brings.

I don’t know if it’s been discussed earlier on the thread, but is it a consideration that St Mirren just don’t have enough players?

How many were unavailable due to COVID?

I know they only named 4 subs v Aberdeen in their last game.

Having apparently being only able to get a squad of 15 for a game on 3rd October, they had 2 weeks to promote some youth players to the first team squad or bring in some additional players.

It seems hard to believe they only realised at lunchtime on Saturday they had a threadbare squad....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ped_MFC said:

The BBC Gossip quoting a story from The Sun, St Mirren confident Track and Trace will clear most of the squad for this Saturday's game v the Accies.

So if thats the case  and there turns out to be nothing wrong with them who told the players to self isolate making them unavailable ?

As I said before St Mirren were at it, and the SPFL are allowing it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

It seems hard to believe they only realised at lunchtime on Saturday they had a threadbare squad....

That is my main gripe. One possibility is that test results arrived very late, which of course is an issue in itself. Although details of last Saturday's timeline are publicly very scant, it appears that our club was not really consulted and were only told officially by the SPFL at 12 pm or slightly after. I would have thought that as soon as St Mirren realised that they might have a real problem they would have rung Fir Park to tip us off before contacting the SPFL. That may have happened but from our club's scant comments that doesn't appear to have been the case. Surely the SPFL would have required medical confirmation before arriving at a decision and I doubt that St Mirren could have arranged that in 5 minutes.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

So if thats the case  and there turns out to be nothing wrong with them who told the players to self isolate making them unavailable ?

As I said before St Mirren were at it, and the SPFL are allowing it.

Likewise.

Thought they were at it on Saturday, taking advantage of the fact the SPFL didn't have time to investigate 2 hrs before kick-off, and knowing the SPFL would do nothing afterwards.

Still think they were at it.

Still think they will get away with it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I see Tony Fitzpatrick , St Mirren CEO has written  to Motherwell to complain about the comments made by Maurice Ross,  I get the impression Maurice maybe struck a nerve.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54621669

A bit rich of him to complain to us. Mo Ross didn't actually accuse St Mirren of anything. All he said was the rules allowed a club to take advantage of the situation. Is Tony Fitzpatrick saying thats impossible? As you say Allan perhaps it struck a nerve. I like that we're replying in private; thats the correct way do handle it. While we're on about public statements, it would be nice of Mr Fitzpatrick to apologise to Well fans as he has done to St Mirren fans, especially those who paid £12.50 minutes before public confirmation that the game was called off. 

• Andy_P changed the title to Season 2020’21: Game 30: St Mirren (A)