Season 2020’21: Game 30: St Mirren (A)

Andy_P

1 hour ago, Brazilian said:

that fixture was played exactly within the same calendar  ‘round of fixtures’ it was originally scheduled.

there are plenty of flaws this season including for Celtic,  but a Monday night slot was not ‘found’ 

i had sympathy for the clubs impacted by covid, and still feel for public health reasons it was correct that our games were postponed/ cancelled as it wasn’t clear if the players that would have turned out were covid clear and safe to interact with our players and the officials 

having read both reports, it’s clear that both clubs didn’t treat the protocols with due respect or even common sense  from the govt advice.

the punishments handed out were harsh, but at the same time the panel choose to only punish events that the public health bodies felt led directly to the transmission of the virus.

as such , the appeal could easily look again at all the breaches, St.Mirren in particular had an appalling list of failings, many of which were noted , but not punished.

if this was the case and level of punishment was more balanced, Killie could receive a lesser punishment and St.Mirren probably deserve to be hammered as they truly did not implement the required controls almost mocking the seriousness of the situation.

My point on the "Monday" comment was that the dates are there. The hearing placed significant weight on the difficulties with fixture congestion and the fact games couldn't be rescheduled this season. I cannot see how that's true. Teams playing in multiple competitions can play 4 games in 8 days. Aye, it would be unfair on us and Accies but the panel didn't make that point. It was that the games couldn't be replayed. 

You're right about the breaches, but there are plenty of clubs taking that gamble and by sheer luck / squad size haven't had to call off a game. 3 points is excessive in those circumstances. 

1 hour ago, Stu92 said:

Doubt it seeing as Kilmarnock and St Mirren are already playing. 

Was thinking more of the dates that would available  by moving these games to the 30th January ..........the date they should have been played on..........ie the date these games should have been played on as per below.......now free......”making space” prior to the decision announcement 

_116519127_grab.jpg

10 hours ago, CoF said:

You're right about the breaches, but there are plenty of clubs taking that gamble and by sheer luck / squad size haven't had to call off a game. 3 points is excessive in those circumstances. 

What people seem to be forgetting here is that both club admitted multiple breaches of the covid protocols resulting in most of their 1st team squads having to isolate. However both teams still had at least 13 registered players available to play and as per the UEFA guidelines that the clubs signed up to so they should have played both games with the weakened sides as did Celtic this week.

However both of them blatantly ignored the guidelines and chose not to play and then tried to blame advice from their local NHS Trust, so in my opinion the 3-0 forfeits are totally warranted and appropriate. 

• Like 3

Theres no way the "powers" in Scottish Football have the backbone to stand by their decision. Both games will be replayed, bet Your house on it.

I just hope all paper articles are pinned to the dressing room wall, we are fired up to fuck and go out + pump the cheating cunts by 3 or 4 anyway. Fuck Killie & Fuck St Midden

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shaka said:

Theres no way the "powers" in Scottish Football have the backbone to stand by their decision. Both games will be replayed, bet Your house on it.

They stood by their decision to relegate Hearts even after they dragged them into court.

That's one of the reasons they didn't make the decision themselves, but let an independent panel review and decide.

10 minutes ago, weeyin said:

They stood by their decision to relegate Hearts even after they dragged them into court.

That's one of the reasons they didn't make the decision themselves, but let an independent panel review and decide.

That decision didnt affect the Old Firm. Imagine Rangers get hit with a horrendous outbreak and are forced to forfeit or play their U18s for 3 games, losing all of them and suddenly they start bottling the title race! There would be blood spilt.(yes I know Celtic currently have an issue, but they are only missing a couple strikers & a cd from their best team)

May just be my suspicious mind, but I have no faith in the SPFL/SFA ever doing the right thing

• Like 1

I think most other clubs will find a way to play their games. If they thought a 3-0 forfeit was the alternative. 

I do have a modicum of sympathy for Killie and St Mirren.  I am sure they both thought they could not play and the games would probably be re scheduled. 

That is why I think if it was up to the SPFL alone they would uphold the original punishment to act as a deterrent. If the panel decide the games should be re scheduled that opens a can of worms. Next time Motherwell have a couple of Covid issues with key players we should say it is rife and we need to postpone. 

What would be good is if there was a decision before our bi-centenary year ! The longer it goes on you start to think they have come to a different conclusion and are working out how to deliver etc. Surely it would take less time to say appeals declined. 

16 minutes ago, Shaka said:

That decision didnt affect the Old Firm. Imagine Rangers get hit with a horrendous outbreak and are forced to forfeit or play their U18s for 3 games, losing all of them and suddenly they start bottling the title race! There would be blood spilt.(yes I know Celtic currently have an issue, but they are only missing a couple strikers & a cd from their best team)

May just be my suspicious mind, but I have no faith in the SPFL/SFA ever doing the right thing

The clubs least likely to be impacted are the Old Firm.  And, remember, calling the league impacted Aberdeen (who could easily argue they lost out on 3rd place money) and Rangers (who argued less convincingly, they still had a shot at the league title). But that decision stood.

More importantly, nobody has suggested teams forfeit games for Covid outbreaks. That wasn't the issue here. The core issue was that Killie and St Mirren knowingly and flagrantly ignored the protocols that the Scottish Government asked be put in place when they granted them special permission to restart the league. So not only did they intentionally put their employees at risk, and the employees of other clubs at risk, they also opened the door for the Government to shut down the game completely.

• Like 1

I really dont see what the alternative is here?

With the spotlight that Scottish football is currently under due to previous breaches and Celtics heavily criticised recent actions, the panel would be absolutely mad to overturn this decision.

Both clubs admitted breaches of protocols. That has to have some form of punishment attached. The financial penalties were deferred pending future good behaviour, which I think is entirely correct, given the financial situations of most clubs. Therefore docking points is the only alternative.

I think you could alter it so each game is only a 1-0 loss so as not to adversely effect goal difference. But thats about it.

Appeals successful.

Fines reduced to £20k with £10k suspended.  No real penalty for failing to fulfil the fixtures through their own negligence.

We should tell the SPFL to get fucked and play the games when it suits us just like Killie and St Mirren have done.  Sometime in 2022 should suffice.

Just like the Aberdeen situation, the authorities have now given free reign to every club to do whatever the fuck they like without fear of serious punishment.

On 1/14/2021 at 1:07 PM, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

Games will be rearranged with a token fine to both teams..........Celtic will be fined an even smaller amount......will be amazed if there is any other punishment........it’s Scottish football hierarchy 

No surprises then ........

Shocking behaviour from SPFL they even arranged games yesterday for Killie and SM to play sat 30th as cup off so once again Motherwell and Accies stuffed as surely should have played Accies v SM and Killie v Us that day . We will get a wed night now I had no problems with games being played originally but the way the league has shafted us as we wanted to play games yet they said No is shocking . I am embarrassed with this league really is Mickey Mouse as only in Scotland could  the innocent teams be the ones to suffer . Should  never have given the points but once they did should never have taken them away . TOTAL SHAMBLES 

• Andy_P changed the title to Season 2020’21: Game 30: St Mirren (A)