Season 2020’21: Game 30: St Mirren (A)

Andy_P

Hope he does not have any baring on the game this time but think it’s ridiculous for a ref who has had a massive baring on a game to be given the same team on the receiving end of his dubious decisions in their next game . Imo just shows the contempt the beaks have for the smaller clubs with the amount of refs we have we should never be getting Madden 2 games in a row.

11 minutes ago, wellowell said:

Hope he does not have any baring on the game this time but think it’s ridiculous for a ref who has had a massive baring on a game to be given the same team on the receiving end of his dubious decisions in their next game . Imo just shows the contempt the beaks have for the smaller clubs with the amount of refs we have we should never be getting Madden 2 games in a row.

Lets use this to our advantage and get streetwise. Instruct our wingers/crossers to fire the ball into the Saints' box at chest /head height and our target man to get in front of the defender and duck at the last moment. 

• Haha 2

If they're going to to to the trouble of getting in front of the defender I'd rather they just hit the ball themselves and scored.

Tomorrow will probably be a tight game, and I'd be surprised if we strayed from the back 3. If we're dead set on Maguire being a midfielder it doesn't make sense to bring him in to the back 3, but we may have no option if mcginley isn't fit. I'd try Maguire instead of Ohara, but I don't think the manager agrees. 

With news of the injury to Mugabe, I am now in the " a point wouldn't be the worst outcome" camp. It will be interesting to see how Robinson set up the team. I hope that the confidence that Gallagher and O'Donnell should bring back from the international aqua isn't allowed to be thrown away with a cack handed decision to be too clever by half with our selection. We have two options. Retain the back three, but with Gallagher in the central position, or go to a back four. Both have some merit, but are also not without danger, given the talent available. Right now, I'd look at a back four of O'Donnell, Gallagher, Lamie and McGinley. The lack of a genuine left back is still an issue but two holding midfielders in the shape of Grimshaw and Maguire should help bolster things. I think that the injury to Mugabe shows that we were wrong in not looking for experienced cover for centre half during the transfer window.

An away point is usually always acceptable. 

However we have had a mediocre if not poor start to the season by all expectations. Beating Aberdeen 3-0 away and being the better side v Hibs at Easter Rd shows what we are capable of. 

The problem is we have lost too many narrow games v teams that ought be be below us come the end of the season. So we really need to start winning against the St Mirren and Ross County’s etc. I know I am tempting fate but St Mirren are on a 5 or 6 games losing streak in the league.

Please Motherwell let’s not be the team to give them a much needed 3 points. Lets start to put a winning run together and try and establish us as the best team outside the top 4 with a chance maybe to challenge Hibs and Aberdeen come the end of the season. 

While I have sympathy for Covid 19 related issues, it seems a bit strange to call off so close to kick-off.  

The cynic in me thinks they don't want to play with a weakened team and calling off at this stage prevents the SPFL or SFA from having sufficient time to investigate and make them turn out.

Regardless, as I said after the Killie game, there needs to be a rule in place otherwise we are going to be back in the same position of having to call the season. Except it will be worse as teams could end up having played 4 or 5 games less than others. 

• Like 1

They have a first team squad of 30 I think, so 14 are now out with "covid"? Bollocks.

Anyway You can start a match with 7! They have 12 fit professional players and Im pretty sure a few U18's fit so why cant the game go ahead? Scottish football is a fucking embarrassmemt

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Well Well said:

Yeah they only have 12 registered players and 4 of them are keepers. This is going to cause a pile up of fixtures and guarantee whatever way it gets sorted it will be to our detriment it always is

You've got to worry about the season even at this stage.

If we see a Covid upsurge during the winter months that matches that usually found with other viruses it's going to be very difficult to complete the season.

Frustrating but postponements during a pandemic are going to increase in frequency  as the transmission rate rises. We don’t know the circumstances yet but you’d expect further detail to follow given the late notice. While testing is weekly, there is obviously nothing to stop an individual showing symptoms and having an additional test on the eve or day of the game.

What I don’t understand however is why it’s safe for the lower league fixtures to go ahead without regular testing. SPFL need to pin down what happens in the event that the season can’t be concluded. 

17 minutes ago, weeyin said:

While I have sympathy for Covid 19 related issues, it seems a bit strange to call off so close to kick-off.  

The cynic in me thinks they don't want to play with a weakened team and calling off at this stage prevents the SPFL or SFA from having sufficient time to investigate and make them turn out.

Regardless, as I said after the Killie game, there needs to be a rule in place otherwise we are going to be back in the same position of having to call the season. Except it will be worse as teams could end up having played 4 or 5 games less than others. 

I think there is every possibility we won’t see the season out. Covid continues to rise and we are not even into the flue season yet and it’s only going to get worse. A full lockdown is only a couple of weeks away.

The SPFL need to grow a set and start coming down hard on teams calling  games off, all week we have heard Goodwin saying how unfortunate it is to have positive tests etc but they would reshuffle the team and get on with it, now 4 hrs before KO the game is off.

The uefa guidelines which allegedly the SPFL have adopted state 13 registered players including 1 keeper, not 1st team , reserve , youth etc just registered players. 

So are St Mirren claiming  as did Killie that they could not get 13 players to play today, its blatant Bullshit, both clubs are at it, knowing full well the SPFL are shitebags and will do feck all, the whole set up is a shambles that needs sorting.

6 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

The SPFL need to grow a set and start coming down hard on teams calling  games off, all week we have heard Goodwin saying how unfortunate it is to have positive tests etc but they would reshuffle the team and get on with it, now 4 hrs before KO the game is off.

The uefa guidelines which allegedly the SPFL have adopted state 13 registered players including 1 keeper, not 1st team , reserve , youth etc just registered players. 

So are St Mirren claiming  as did Killie that they could not get 13 players to play today, its blatant Bullshit, both clubs are at it, knowing full well the SPFL are shitebags and will do feck all, the whole set up is a shambles that needs sorting.

According to Doncaster - and I have no reason to doubt him on this point - the SPFL is currently not allowed to award forfeited games to opponents. That power lies with the SFA and there is a process to follow on a case by case basis.

When the SPFL Board asked their members to give them emergency powers this season to make decisions without needing a vote every time, one of the powers they would have been granted is the ability to award 3 - 0 walkovers in situations like this. The clubs voted against that option (probably with good reason), but that means we're stuck with this problem for now.

It does feel very convenient that yesterday Goodwin was talking about how he had lost "2 big players" and today they need to send just enough players into self-isolation to cause a postponement. It's easy for the authorities to confirm players that test positive. It's a lot more difficult for them to confirm who needs to self-isolate, so this is a get-out-of-jail-free card for teams that don't want to field an under-strength team.

Of course, it could all be legit - but then we're back to forfeiting games. The sooner that rule is applied the better.

Yeah sounding dodgey if you ask me... If you assume an r-value of 2-3 (as it was at the start of the pandemic, before social distancing) then 3 cases should mean around an additional 6-9 players (9-12 total) need to isolate. 30 players listed on their website so should easily be able to get a squad of 13. Unless, as suggested, they are at it or have insufficient distancing processes internally.

Not exactly leakproof theory there, but the killie game was going ahead with 3 +ve cases.

Maybe I'm just gutted the game is off but pretty sure I smell shite... 

4 minutes ago, weeyin said:

According to Doncaster - and I have no reason to doubt him on this point - the SPFL is currently not allowed to award forfeited games to opponents. That power lies with the SFA and there is a process to follow on a case by case basis.

When the SPFL Board asked their members to give them emergency powers this season to make decisions without needing a vote every time, one of the powers they would have been granted is the ability to award 3 - 0 walkovers in situations like this. The clubs voted against that option (probably with good reason), but that means we're stuck with this problem for now.

As I understand it the SPFL can  bring the clubs before a disciplinary panel if they suspect wrong doing for which they have a wide range of penalties available, including forfeiture of the match. But no doubt its all semantics and endless interpretation of the rules. No wonder the clubs are taking advantage.

• Andy_P changed the title to Season 2020’21: Game 30: St Mirren (A)