Season 2020’21: Game 30: St Mirren (A)

Andy_P

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

The punishment should be to have St Mirren make a public statement that we were by far the better team in the '77 Cup game and never being allowed to complain about it again.

They need to confirm there was less than 1000 of their fans in attendance

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

No, they dived off the park. Funniest thing in that game was Willie Watson about to tackle Bobby Torrance. The wily Willie stopped dead to fox Torrance. Torrance hoping to con the ref jumped 6ft in the air, landed and rolled about on the turf. He looked ridiculous as no tackle was even attempted. 

Aye, this was very much a team in the style of 1970's Ferguson. Niggly wee cheats.

His Aberdeen team had much better football players, but still had the niggle.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, its almost the end of the month and St Mirren and Kilmarnock ought to receive the panel's findings by midnight, at the very latest. I just wonder if these 2 episodes will be quietly dropped for fear of tarnishing Scottish football's case for the return of fans.

Both Killie and St Mirren will have wheeled out heavy artillery, in the shape of QC's who don't come cheap, to fight their corner. 

I don't think they'll be quietly dropped. I do, however, still think all that will happen is a token fine, possibly suspended.

As Robinson said they other day, the biggest frustration is we've lost a couple of the few opportunities to play these games while this process dragged on. So we'll end up having to squeeze them into a busy month. Something that punishes us through no fault of our own.

55 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I still think there is a chance we will get the points. 

Turnbull, Grimshaw, both McCrories and Helander have all tested positive recently without any of their club team mates having to isolate. I still don't see how St Mirren and Killie can explain away isolating their entire squads. 

I agree they seem to have severely breached the protocols in place, and that there should be an appropriate punishment like awarding points (or even just deducting points from them).

I just don't have much faith in the League taking any strong action.

17 hours ago, weeyin said:

Must be an incredibly complex decision they are about to announce with points deductions, forfeits and a whole new approach to dealing with this kind of issue in the future.

Or a small fine.

They might not have any cash to pay a small fine, police investigating alleged financial irregularities now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55125448

Oh my gosh

https://spfl.co.uk/news/kilmarnock-fc-and-st-mirren-fc-disciplinary-outc

Thursday 3rd December 2020

KILMARNOCK FC AND ST MIRREN FC DISCIPLINARY OUTCOMES ANNOUNCED

THE SPFL HAS TODAY ANNOUNCED THE OUTCOMES OF THE DISCIPLINARY PROCEEDINGS BROUGHT IN RELATION TO KILMARNOCK FC AND ST MIRREN FC.

Both sets of proceedings were brought before a Sub-Committee of the SPFL Board sitting as a Tribunal, chaired by an independent senior solicitor and involving a Sheriff highly experienced in sports disputes.

Kilmarnock FC

It was alleged that Kilmarnock FC had breached the SPFL’s Covid-19 Regulations during the lead-up to their postponed League Match v Motherwell FC on Friday 2 October. Kilmarnock admitted a number of breaches of the SPFL’s Covid-19 Regulations. These admitted breaches involved the seating arrangements on the coach and at the pre-match meal for an away game. In both cases it was admitted by the club that there was a failure to observe physical distancing.

The Tribunal imposed the following sanctions:

(i) Kilmarnock FC’s League match v Motherwell FC originally scheduled for 2 October 2020 be recorded as a 0-3 victory for Motherwell FC; and

(ii) a fine of £40,000, suspended in full until 30 June 2021 pending any further breaches of the SPFL’s Covid-19 Regulations by the club.

The decision in full is available here.

St Mirren FC

It was alleged that St Mirren FC had breached the SPFL’s Covid-19 Regulations during the lead-up to their postponed League Matches v Motherwell FC on Saturday 17 October and v Hamilton Academical FC on Saturday 24 October.

St Mirren admitted a number of breaches of the SPFL’s Covid-19 Regulations. These admitted breaches involved the seating arrangements on the coach and at the pre-match meal for an away game. In both cases there was a failure to observe physical distancing by the players and staff.

Additionally, St Mirren admitted failing to provide suitable facilities to enable players to observe physical distancing at training and also accepted that players had been car sharing to and from training.

The Tribunal imposed the following sanctions:

(i) St Mirren FC’s League match v Motherwell FC originally scheduled for 17 October 2020 be recorded as a 0-3 victory for Motherwell FC;

(ii) St Mirren FC’s League match v Hamilton Academical FC originally scheduled for 24 October 2020 be recorded as a 0-3 victory for Hamilton Academical FC; and

(iii) a fine of £40,000, suspended in full until 30 June 2021 pending any further breaches of the SPFL’s Covid-19 Regulations by the club.

The decision in full is available here.

A spokesman for the SPFL commented: “The Covid-19 Regulations put in place by the SPFL and the detailed protocols issued by the SPFL/Scottish FA Joint Response Group are intended to enable Season 2020/21 to continue with the minimum of disruption and the minimum risk for those players and coaching staff involved. Strict adherence to these Regulations and protocols is therefore crucially important in order for Season 20/21 to be completed as scheduled.

“We note the admission by each of Kilmarnock and St Mirren that they breached SPFL Regulations, and commend both clubs for the measures that their boards have recently put in place to avoid a repeat of the circumstances that led to the postponement of these matches in October.”

That was the only credible outcome. If the league allowed teams to put their whole squad out of commission for 14 days without any significant punishment they would be setting the stage for a farcical end to the season.

Especially after the heavy punishment Jones and Edmondson got they couldn't take a light touch. 

In previous posts I may have suggested the SPFL were a bunch of toothless, incompetent eejits who were unfit to manage our game.

I'd like to apologize for the error and re-iterate what a fine administration team is in place and praise them for their continued excellence.

Seriously, though - that was a very welcome, if very unexpected, result. Trying not be biased, I think it's correct as there appeared to be some pretty serious breaches of the required protocols in both situations. The fact that St Mirren drafted in some additional staff to oversee their process backs up that opinion.

EDIT: I see Killie are "taking legal advice" - but I thought the SPFL rules were pretty cut and dried in cases like this i.e. the independent panel is the final decision maker with no appeals allowed; legal or otherwise.

• Andy_P changed the title to Season 2020’21: Game 30: St Mirren (A)