Season 2020’21: Game 30: St Mirren (A)

Andy_P

29 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

As I understand it the SPFL can  bring the clubs before a disciplinary panel if they suspect wrong doing for which they have a wide range of penalties available, including forfeiture of the match. But no doubt its all semantics and endless interpretation of the rules. No wonder the clubs are taking advantage.

Likely to be plenty of lengthy appeals against 3 nil walkovers being awarded. We will get to the end of the season and have no idea who is finishing where with all these points still to be dished out on a case by case basis.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

The SPFL need to grow a set and start coming down hard on teams calling  games off, all week we have heard Goodwin saying how unfortunate it is to have positive tests etc but they would reshuffle the team and get on with it, now 4 hrs before KO the game is off.

The uefa guidelines which allegedly the SPFL have adopted state 13 registered players including 1 keeper, not 1st team , reserve , youth etc just registered players. 

So are St Mirren claiming  as did Killie that they could not get 13 players to play today, its blatant Bullshit, both clubs are at it, knowing full well the SPFL are shitebags and will do feck all, the whole set up is a shambles that needs sorting.

Pretty much it Allan. If a game is called off very late on, as this one was, there's clearly something wrong. I feel sorry for supporters who bought a one off TV game just minutes before the announcement. St Mirren should have announced the game was in some doubt far earlier. If delayed test results are the issue then the system is clearly failing.  As I understand it, they also have some non covid 19 related injuries. I wonder if or when our club was first informed that the game was in doubt. It seems unlikely that St Mirren's infected players are all independent of each other. A "workplace based" incident again?

No doubt, the rearranged game will coincide with us having an injury crisis and/or having to play 3/4  games a week.

The SPFL and SFA really need to sort this out and quickly. Presumably St Mirren's next league game will also be called off due to self isolation guidelines.

Why is this not a problem in England?

Still no word of the SFA's investigation into Kilmarnock?

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

St Mirren have chanced it because the SPFL haven't set a precedent with Killie. 

Unless we get the points from these games teams have a license to call off a game if they have a positive test.

Agreed. The loophole right now is "players that need to self-isolate" because that's almost impossible to disprove.

And with no crowds, there's no financial penalty for pulling out at the last minute. Without forfeiting the game, St Mirren gain an advantage here. Meanwhile we have to potentially squeeze two rescheduled games into an already packed fixture list through no fault of our own.

1 minute ago, wellwell91 said:

Did St Mirren ask for a postponement or did they just say they couldn’t field a team and say they couldn’t fulfill the fixture 

There is a big difference in the two scenarios 

Not really. If they say they can't field a team, what do you think the SPFL will do? They haven't awarded any cancelled league games to opponents so far, so there is no reason for St Mirren to think that would happen here without a rule change (that couldn't be applied retrospectively).

9 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Did St Mirren ask for a postponement or did they just say they couldn’t field a team and say they couldn’t fulfill the fixture 

There is a big difference in the two scenarios 

I've noticed a difference in language used in the statements issued by the clubs involved and SPFL.

Cant be bothered looking the statements up but I'm sure on both occasions we have said the games have been 'cancelled' whereas Killie and St Mirren say 'postponed'. Probably wishful thinking from both sides. SPFL sitting on the fence 'postponed pending investigation'.

8 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Not really. If they say they can't field a team, what do you think the SPFL will do? They haven't awarded any cancelled league games to opponents so far, so there is no reason for St Mirren to think that would happen here without a rule change (that couldn't be applied retrospectively).

They went to the SPFL when they had the goalkeeper problem and were told to play the game.

If they just say the can’t fulfill the fixture without going to the SPFL that is opening up a whole new can of worms for everyone 

3 minutes ago, numpty said:

Dunno, but there are five today alone:

Altrincham v Bromley
Barnet v Hartlepool
Bradford v Boston Utd
Kidderminster Harriers v Alfreton Town
Leamington v Darlington

That's four non league games and 1 out 46 matches in the top four divisions. 

I don't think the EPL and the Championship have had a game called off but our league despite only having 66 fixtures have already had 5 postponements. 

I’m just wondering if there would have been as much controversy over this if the game had been called on the Friday. The lateness of the call off is what seems to be causing the conspiracy theories all over social media.

I take the view that we might have dodged a bullet here in that at least none of our players were put at risk.

Imagine if we had lost the game then heard next week that half the squad had tested positive going into 2 very winnable games and having to play  vastly weakened teams.

I would like to think that if St Mirren have taken the piss it will all come out in the wash and action taken but I won’t hold my breath.

57 minutes ago, numpty said:

Dunno, but there are five today alone:

Altrincham v Bromley
Barnet v Hartlepool
Bradford v Boston Utd
Kidderminster Harriers v Alfreton Town
Leamington v Darlington

I don't think they have the same level of testing protocols in those leagues do they? That's why Danny Johnson missed the cup tie against Spurs. It was Spurs that paid for Orient to be tested and discovered 19 positive results.

17 minutes ago, santheman said:

I’m just wondering if there would have been as much controversy over this if the game had been called on the Friday. The lateness of the call off is what seems to be causing the conspiracy theories all over social media.

I take the view that we might have dodged a bullet here in that at least none of our players were put at risk.

Imagine if we had lost the game then heard next week that half the squad had tested positive going into 2 very winnable games and having to play  vastly weakened teams.

I would like to think that if St Mirren have taken the piss it will all come out in the wash and action taken but I won’t hold my breath.

It's the lateness that prevents any real assessment of the validity of the claims. Coupled with the fact that Goodwin has been moaning about losing 2 big players for the game, you can see why it's pretty convenient to have a game called off with the only consequence being you get to play it when your best players are available.

There was no talk of any other issues on Friday, so while it can certainly be the case that somebody reports symptoms on a Saturday morning it all seems a bit off.

Anyway, even if it is a legitimate situation (and it may well be) none of this would an issue if the forfeit rule was in place. I said we needed one before the season started and I said we needed one after the Aberdeen and Celtic had their issues. It's the only way we'll get through a season without ending up in the same situation as last season. Either that or we need to reduce the number of games played - but that ship has sailed.

Something needs to be put in place soon - maybe setting a maximum number of games a club can postpone before a forfeit - or we could end up in a situation in May where clubs have half a dozen games to fit in over and above the regular fixture list.

All the hatred and screaming for points comes from a total distrust and literally made up scenarios,  with no evidence and not even indicative sources.

St.Mirren have another outbreak, no surprise further testing reported other positive results 

IF they then isolated additional players that had been in contact , I thank them for not putting our squad at unnecessary risk, and doing what every expert and fair minded person would want.

calling for forfeits or repercussions is madness during a pandemic, what if it’s our team next ? 

Sure as it’s looking it’ll impact us with fixture backlog, I cannot imagine, that will not be the same for majority of clubs. Certainly st.Mirren aren’t going to be better off in that sense.

the best I could hope for is the clubs agreeing to the number of fixtures being reduced, to allow the time to have them played, along with cups, international, European games etc

22 league games seems possible, play each other home and away, maybe even with the split fixtures thereafter.

chasing the full league calendar from the outset was madness imho, but hey, it’s the club’s that decide, no point howling about the league 

• Like 2

St Mirren knew they had a problem mid week. At that point they should have included their youth players in their testing regime and they would have been able to field a side. Also why is it essential that a player must have a negative test to play in the premier but down the leagues part time players with other jobs in the community,  and therefore at greater risk of getting ill and spreading the virus, do not need to be tested.

2 minutes ago, Brazilian said:

All the hatred and screaming for points comes from a total distrust and literally made up scenarios,  with no evidence and not even indicative sources.

St.Mirren have another outbreak, no surprise further testing reported other positive results 

IF they then isolated additional players that had been in contact , I thank them for not putting our squad at unnecessary risk, and doing what every expert and fair minded person would want.

calling for forfeits or repercussions is madness during a pandemic, what if it’s our team next ? 

The point is that one positive test shouldn't take out five players. If they had been properly distancing this wouldn't have happened. There has been no collateral damage when players have tested positive down south. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, steelboy said:

The point is that one positive test shouldn't take out five players. If they had been properly distancing this wouldn't have happened. There has been no collateral damage when players have tested positive down south. 

Exactly.

If 3 positive cases is enough to require umpteen players go into isolation then the protocols in place at st mirren to prevent the spread of the virus and protect their staff are not sufficient, and they should be held accountable for that.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Shaka said:

They have a first team squad of 30 I think, so 14 are now out with "covid"? Bollocks.

Anyway You can start a match with 7! They have 12 fit professional players and Im pretty sure a few U18's fit so why cant the game go ahead? Scottish football is a fucking embarrassmemt

they dont need to have covid if one has it and associated with 20 others those 20 need to self isolate.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

I think there is every possibility we won’t see the season out. Covid continues to rise and we are not even into the flue season yet and it’s only going to get worse. A full lockdown is only a couple of weeks away.

a very good possibility and if you are bottom with 10 games in hand you go down. Precedent set.

13 minutes ago, steelboy said:

do you understand the covid rules. If one person is positive the everyone they've associated with need to self isolate .. i.e. cannae play a game of football. At a football club most will have come into contact with the person in the preceding 72 hours.

• Like 1

• Andy_P changed the title to Season 2020’21: Game 30: St Mirren (A)