Season 2020’21: Game 10: Ross County (H)

Andy_P

Just now, grizzlyg said:

My only  moan about today was that Robbo didnt bring any youngsters on at 4-0 instead  of 2 loanees.  You keep hearing managers say that games too pressure to play the youngsters.  Last 20 mins was perfect opportunity today

Would agree with that. We could even have brought on one or two with 5 minutes or less to go and that's being cautious.

30 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Some of them are, some of them arent...pigeon holeing anyone is nonsense 

That’s the thing but I do worry that at times that’s happening, same thing as every young player that’s comes through the youth ranks should be getting a chance regardless. I loved Aldred and Moult, Tait was hardly a mug,  Kipre was going nowhere, all not too shabby for lower, none league , and out of contract players. I really like Carroll and look forward to seeing him again, McGinley shows promise in my view. There is good and bad at every level, just about finding the right players regardless of the level, they are playing at.

3 hours ago, ropy said:

I thought bringing Crawford and Hastie on to integrate them further into the team made sense today, no issue later in the season for the youngsters to come on in the same situation.

Hastie can go back to  Ibrox anytime he is brutal, has contributed nothing since he came back on loan, and nothing to suggest he will improve.

8 hours ago, Thunderlips said:

I agree. Don't we have the option to cut Hastie's loan short in January?

I think Rangers are the one’s with the option to take him back, I think it’s fairly obvious they won’t be taking that up. Best thing for Hastie would be a move to a Championship/league one club where he would do well and get some confidence back. He’s not a Premiership level player, never was really.

13 hours ago, ropy said:

I thought bringing Crawford and Hastie on to integrate them further into the team made sense today, no issue later in the season for the youngsters to come on in the same situation.

I thought the same and also to give them game minutes after a long lay off. Rightly or wrongly they are more likely to be called upon in the near future so there’s no point in bringing youngsters on for the sake of it at this stage of the season.

16 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I think Rangers are the one’s with the option to take him back, I think it’s fairly obvious they won’t be taking that up. Best thing for Hastie would be a move to a Championship/league one club where he would do well and get some confidence back. He’s not a Premiership level player, never was really.

I’m pretty sure Rangers will be monitoring his loan period and will be keen that he gets game time. If he’s not going to get it with us they’ll take him back and send him out elsewhere as he’s out on loan for his development not to sit on our bench.

10 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Hastie can go back to  Ibrox anytime he is brutal, has contributed nothing since he came back on loan, and nothing to suggest he will improve.

In fairness he's not going to be able to contribute very much when he's hardly involved.

I can't disagree that the hasn't exactly set the heather on fire when he has been involved but in the two starts he made - games where there very few were stand-outs it should be acknowledged - he didn't get more than a hour.  And we can't be much off ninety minutes combined if you tot up all the substitute appearances since.

I had hoped that curious but occasional mystical chemistry where a player and club just seem to work perfectly for another (perhaps like Watt) might come into play and spark something of a rejuvenation in him but as yet that hasn't happened.  But if are we are going to return to the 4-3-3 again I'd suggest giving Hastie another chance or two before we revert to playing Christopher Long out wide again.

55 minutes ago, GrahamH said:

I’m pretty sure Rangers will be monitoring his loan period and will be keen that he gets game time. If he’s not going to get it with us they’ll take him back and send him out elsewhere as he’s out on loan for his development not to sit on our bench.

Fair point.

2 hours ago, GrahamH said:

I thought the same and also to give them game minutes after a long lay off. Rightly or wrongly they are more likely to be called upon in the near future so there’s no point in bringing youngsters on for the sake of it at this stage of the season.

Really? We introduced a player who won’t be available for a squad place next weekend.

When do you aid development if we’re not 4 goals ahead and cruising ? Business end of the season when stakes could be even higher?

And before the usual suspects proclaim ‘they’ll get their chance as its not felt they’re ready’ - they’re at the club because coaching staff see their development better served around the first team & loan moves were ruled out.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Agreed, we really should be giving our youngsters a runout when we are 3 or 4 nil up.

We were forced into an early change with Carson yesterday, and when the other subs were made it was 2-0 so they had to be made to try to secure the game,  so yesterday was not the time, but I take your point, hopefully we will get other opportunities 

None of the youngsters on the bench yesterday will get a minute in the Livi game. That will be the usual bruising, long ball, plastic bounces anti-football game. So given that none of our team had played competitively for 4 weeks, I wasn't surprised they weren't given any game time. It was more important to get the first team players some minutes - and like it or not, Hastie and Crawford are regarded as first team by the management.

Given the nature of this season with fixture pile-ups and Covid quarantines, I'm sure a few of those who didn't play will get some game time sooner or later.

8 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

Something Robinson has talked about previously is Long being a fantastic player but his head is the issue. When he's down he's really down and he's hard to bring back.

You can see why teams/managrs think the can get the best out of him but right now he's not doing it at all.

You’ll never get the best or for that matter anything out of him if you play him out wide 

• Like 1

I thought O'Hara had a great game with the centre back pairing worked as well as any this season. Certainly a whole lot calmer. The back four set up probably helped as well. Ok, Stewart had two decent headed chances from about ten yards and missed a sitter,  but when has he not caused defences those problems?...and not just ours. Watching the game I was more relaxed with our defending than during every other game this season, even after Carson went off.

As Vigurs was AWOL, County's only real creative threat was Charles-Cook who seemed to have acres of space at times. Then again his charges up the park left all the room in the world for us  to exploit as the County defence was left short handed and stretched. Polworth's pass to McGinley exploited that space brilliantly for the first goal.