Season 2020’21: Game 10: Ross County (H)

Andy_P

3 minutes ago, dennyc said:

I thought O'Hara had a great game with the centre back pairing worked as well as any this season. Certainly a whole lot calmer. The back four set up probably helped as well. Ok, Stewart had two decent headed chances from about ten yards and missed a sitter,  but when has he not caused defences those problems?...and not just ours. Watching the game I was more relaxed with our defending than during every other game this season, even after Carson went off.

As Vigurs was AWOL, County's only real creative threat was Charles-Cook who seemed to have acres of space at times. Then again his charges up the park left all the room in the world for us  to exploit as the County defence was left short handed and stretched. Polworth's pass to McGinley exploited that space brilliantly for the first goal.  

I would suggest that’s because Bevis was not playing.

1 hour ago, wellwell91 said:

You’ll never get the best or for that matter anything out of him if you play him out wide 

Agreed,it's a waste of time playing long out wide as he's just not interested,both watt and cole worked there socks of yesterday while long went through the motions,the only thing he put any effort into was chopping down the county player on the touch line.

17 minutes ago, dennyc said:

I thought O'Hara had a great game with the centre back pairing worked as well as any this season. Certainly a whole lot calmer. The back four set up probably helped as well. Ok, Stewart had two decent headed chances from about ten yards and missed a sitter,  but when has he not caused defences those problems?...and not just ours. Watching the game I was more relaxed with our defending than during every other game this season, even after Carson went off.

As Vigurs was AWOL, County's only real creative threat was Charles-Cook who seemed to have acres of space at times. Then again his charges up the park left all the room in the world for us  to exploit as the County defence was left short handed and stretched. Polworth's pass to McGinley exploited that space brilliantly for the first goal.  

I know what you are saying but yet at the same time we cleared 3 certain goals cleared off the line. 1 just be for half time then Watt and O’Donnell headers off the line. Nice to have the defenders in position to do that. 

4 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

I know what you are saying but yet at the same time we cleared 3 certain goals cleared off the line. 1 just be for half time then Watt and O’Donnell headers off the line. Nice to have the defenders in position to do that. 

Lots of posiitves to be taken from yesterday's game but I still wasn't comfortable with our defence. Ross Stewart is a handful but he could easily have notched 4 goals in a short space of time. We're not comfortable with high balls into our box and are vulnerable down the wings. A better team would have punished us.  That said, we've had to contend with alot of defensive injuries this season and haven't been close to fielding our best rearguard.

I've never been a Devante Cole fan; he's been ok in my book nothing more, but yesterday he made us tick up front with his physical presence and constant movement. More of that please.

22 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Really? We introduced a player who won’t be available for a squad place next weekend.

When do you aid development if we’re not 4 goals ahead and cruising ? Business end of the season when stakes could be even higher?

And before the usual suspects proclaim ‘they’ll get their chance as its not felt they’re ready’ - they’re at the club because coaching staff see their development better served around the first team & loan moves were ruled out.

Given the current situation where we could lose players without notice I’d say it’s more important to give minutes to those you could be relying on to start games. Add in that the game was won and there was no pressure on those coming on it was an ideal chance to give Crawford his debut and get game time for Hastie who’s been struggling for confidence.

8 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Irrespective of who we did bring on, we could legally have brought on another sub, a youngster. I can see a case for Crawford, although he's unavailable next weekend, as OTF says. Hastie - what has he done to justify bringing him on?  

How do you mean legally brought on another sub?

42 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Irrespective of who we did bring on, we could legally have brought on another sub, a youngster. I can see a case for Crawford, although he's unavailable next weekend, as OTF says. Hastie - what has he done to justify bringing him on?  

We had used our three interruptions to bring on subs 

3 hours ago, GrahamH said:

Given the current situation where we could lose players without notice I’d say it’s more important to give minutes to those you could be relying on to start games. Add in that the game was won and there was no pressure on those coming on it was an ideal chance to give Crawford his debut and get game time for Hastie who’s been struggling for confidence.

I’m done.

49 minutes ago, ropy said:

You are allowed 5 subs as part of 3 substitute instances (or half time).

stilted definition but hopefully it makes sense.

I thought that was the case, however  it was the legally could have brought on another sub that through me because although we only made 4 subs we used our three slots. Can you piggy back one of yours with the opposition? so if both teams make a sub at the same time, does that count as one stoppage each?