Season 2020’21: Game 12: Celtic (H)

Andy_P

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

This Celtic defence is red rotten. Watt, Lang and Cole need to get right on top of them on Sunday and we'll get some chances.

Thats true but playing them after they have been pumped 4-1 is never a good idea, so I hope we can heap more pressure on Lennon by getting a result, but in all honesty I fear the worst.

We will still need to play well to get anything no matter that result tonight but we must go into with a real intention of having a go as there will be opportunities for us with the way there defence is right now.lose to us and i think lennon will be a goner,which would be some laugh.

18 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I would rather they won comfortably tonight but now they will come to Fir Park with a rocket up their arse. 

It could go one of two ways. Sadly we have seen this movie before so many times. I would love to think we can pile on the agony but I suspect we will be the ones that will capitulate. I hope I am very wrong. 

I agree Iain with what your thinking, I honestly think if we have the correct attitude towards the game we will get something from the game, but we will need 11 players to be at their best to do that.

32 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

Celtic will be hurting after tonight’s result in Europe and historically this can spell danger for their next league opponents. I’m dreading any backlash from a wounded animal and we will need to be at our very best to take anything from this game. 

I never like reading about backlashes/ wounded animals / hurting after these Euro games. We have more reason than most to be hurting or out for revenge after Celtic games in recent years. 

I’m not expecting us to get a result but it might happen. I am expecting us though to get in their faces and not give them a single millimetre of space anywhere on the pitch. They have a dodgy defence so let’s set about their rearguard. 

1 hour ago, ohwulliewullie said:

Was just thinking that... if I was Devante Cole I’d be licking my lips at the prospect of running at Shane Duffy

Get Cole against Ajer or Julyan. Get Watt up against Duffy. Dont neutralise our threats by matching them up.

After last nights result, i've been torn between whether or not it's a good time to play them or a bad time, will we get the backlash from last nights result? i'm swaying towards good time, the confidence in that  squad must be absolutely shot right now, they cannot afford to lose again, Lennon can't afford to lose again, huge pressure. The first goal is massive, and we have to get it. 

I reckon there will be a few changes to the celtic team, wouldn't be surprised to see Griffiths or Turnbull start, importantly though, they don't have the personnel to change the defence too much and we have the players to hurt them, I hope we are set out to get right on top of them because they will make mistakes, we just need to punish them.

a whole load of if's but's and maybe's but we can get something from this.

4 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

After last nights result, i've been torn between whether or not it's a good time to play them or a bad time, will we get the backlash from last nights result? i'm swaying towards good time, the confidence in that  squad must be absolutely shot right now, they cannot afford to lose again, Lennon can't afford to lose again, huge pressure. The first goal is massive, and we have to get it. 

I reckon there will be a few changes to the celtic team, wouldn't be surprised to see Griffiths or Turnbull start, importantly though, they don't have the personnel to change the defence too much and we have the players to hurt them, I hope we are set out to get right on top of them because they will make mistakes, we just need to punish them.

a whole load of if's but's and maybe's but we can get something from this.

I don’t think it’s ever a good time to play a team with far better players in truth.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

No Tony Watt to select but Devante Cole can be selected for 2 positions.  Jamie Semple is also available for selection!

They seriously don't give a f*ck. A very sad state of affairs for. once proud institution. Just the ways things have gone across the board for the Beeb.

I’m interested to see how we approach today as we have struggled to lay a glove on Celtic or Rangers at Fir Park since Robinson made the initial move to 433. While I’d like to see Watt, Lang and Cole get on top  of Duffy & co, we need to focus on getting a foothold in the game and guard against Celtic running riot early on. Last Sunday, Aberdeen  sensed blood, moved away from their usual cautious line-up and paid the price by giving Rogic and Christie too much space.

With that in mind, I wonder if Robinson is contemplating putting an extra man in midfield. While both squads are now very different, a big part of our last victory at Parkhead was sitting Scott McDonald on Brown. On the subject of midfield, I feel this could be a big day for Campbell. Potential suitors will be gauging his performance against an out of form Brown and McGregor. 

Hopefully we can get that early foothold in the game and gradually up the pressure on a defence void of confidence. If we do manage to test Celtic’s nerve, it could be a fruitful afternoon. Fingers crossed for a return to the good old days when we regularly turned them over. 2-1 Motherwell. 

I am thinking we will add Grimshaw into midfield and drop a striker.  Someone pointed out on P&B iirc that we drew with Celtic x3 at Fir Park when we were a more robust side with the likes of Main, Bowman and Rose etc. Since we moved to a more expansive - you could almost add footballing side Celtic have won by several goals each time they have come to Fir Park.

Sitting back and waiting for Celtic to score is never a good thing, but even worse is having a go and leaving yourself open to the counter attack. I think the idea would be to keep it tight for as long as possible and then opening up a little if the games is still to be won. 

Celtic will have been wounded by the justified criticism and I expect sadly we will see a reaction today. We are better defensively than we have been for a while but I can see us conceding an early goal and our game plan going out of the window. Celtic to run out comfortable winners sadly. That is the most likely outcome. They have better players in almost all positions and if they play to their potential then they will easily get the 3 points. 

Be a big test for the stand in Goalie. We shall see how good he is this afternoon for sure. Hopefully he plays a blinder. Be good exposure for him on Sky Sports. 

I hope I am wrong of course and we can take something from the game to keep our momentum going. After our poor start no one is talking about us being in the mix for top 4.  Yet we take something today and 4 or 6 points from our games in hand and we are only a few points behind Hibs. Aberdeen will finish 3rd. I still think we are better than all of the other sides outside top 3 and this would be the most high profile game to make such a statement. 

I don’t agree that Celtic have better players all over the park. At least defensively we are more compact and robust. That is the platform we build on. Celtic need a result today more than we do and while that might spur them on to do better than Thursday night, if we can keep it tight that will build more pressure on them and work in our favour. They are seriously short in confidence. Not that I’m advocating sitting deep and letting them come on to us; rather, don’t go all out, expansive and try to slaughter them.  Somewhere in between will do me. The important thing is to press them all over the pitch, run at their defence when the opportunity arrives and take our chances if they come. For the first time in a while I think we can hurt this lot but it is important we get that idea into their heads too. COYW!!