Season 2020’21: Game 12: Celtic (H)

Andy_P

What happened to the days where every player would fight for every ball, defenders would defend as if their lives depended on it,  the goalkeeper would pull off a string of great saves and we’d walk away with the points? Nowadays Celtic just have to sit back and wait for us to gift them a goal.

Just now, wellwell91 said:

Fuck me did you see those 2 efforts to take a man out ……… absolutely criminal 

Maguire misses his man by miles and still gets booked. I hope the yellow was for the pathetic attempt to tackle.

It's gutting when you see other teams going toe to toe with them but we more often than not just get brushed aside. Plus giving them gifts for the first is also deflating.

• Like 1

The formation isnt the problem, its the players! We have a 1 man midfield, doesnt matter if we have 3, 4, 5 or 7 in midfield, Maguire and Polworth are utterly shite, and there is nobody else who can come in. McGinlay is a Scottish Championship defender at best. Our front 3 look handy if they can get support but theres more chance of me riding Jennifer Lawrence than that happening

It’s pointless singling any individual player out here it’s all about the team. I’m pretty sure come full time when we’ve lost by how many it ends up that Robinson will point out the lack of pressing, closing down, energy, just the defeatist attitude. We’ve looked absolutely frightened to death from the kick off, no one in the team looks to have any belief. It really is depressing stuff against a Celtic team that’s really very average.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its all good tho, we will lose another 2-3 gpals in the second half. Declan will come out on Facebook later saying how much effort the lads put in, Robbos post match interview will be about how good Celtic are and that we are an "honest bunch", "worked hard" and we "go again"     rinse, repeat

I’m afraid there’s little point in watching these games nowadays. Robinson is obviously doing a very good job but since switching to 433, he’s lost the ability to compete with teams that are of higher quality. While we continue plenty points off the lesser teams I suppose it’s a trade-off worth accepting...

My heart says continue to go for it and try to pull back 2 or 3 goals.  My head says look to the longer term and take Maguire and a striker off and limit damage to our goal diference. No red cards or bad injuries please.  The front 3 look a bit dispirited and I don't blame them.

Guarantee everyone kicking off for us going with 3 up front would be saying we gifted the points to them if we'd went with 5 in the middle and one up top saying we didn't show any ambition.

They've had struggles defensively, we thought we could get at them and we have. We've had chances. Can't be giving away a cheap goal like the first though.

• Like 2

Just now, wellsince75 said:

playing 3 up front against the old firm is naive. 

Noting wrong with getting 10 men behind the ball and frustrating them.

Yes there is! Because we always, ALWAYS gift them at least 1 goal, so we may as well attempt to score. Other teams can frustrate the Old Firm, we bend over and let them do whatever they want

Groundhog old firm day.  Whats been discussed has been discussed  before and will again and again. I don't understand why any of our fans would even raise an eyebrow, never mind lose the head these days. I was going to watch, seen the score, and thought why bother. Life's better that way. 

Professionalism by footballers in Scotland is questionable. To many I think just dont try against their favourites.