Season 2020’21: Game 12: Celtic (H)

Andy_P

I thought we would lose by a few goals and in some ways that is less frustrating than St Johnstone being at 0-0 at 85 minutes and losing 2-0. We were never really in the game despite the fact we played some decent football. 

We have away same chances v Ross County. Big difference is Celtic and Rangers will score one goal from two or three chances where other teams like us even sometimes will not score from half a dozen chances. 

I just wish we would not lose by an average 3 to 4 goals every time we play the Old firm 

13 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Can't wait to hear the Blarney Stone kisser because it won't be his fault 

Lennon? He's been at it all week.

We're happy to get out of the relegation zone. Celtic are gutted they aren't qualifying from their Europa League group. That's because they have about 20 times our resources and can spend a few million on guys like Turnbull to sit on the bench most weeks.

I'm always hopeful we can pick up points when we play them, but it's hardly devastating when we lose. Most teams lose against them every game they play. Whoever played them this weekend after their mega-bollocking was going to lose.

Also, Trump :lol:

• Haha 1

For whatever reason we don’t seem to clear our lines well against the Old firm. Always going to be hard especially giving them a goal of a start to settle them down. Thought we had a good 30 minute spell after half time but first half we just gave them too much space down both flanks. Once the third went in it was odds on they would score again. 

• Like 1

Nothing’s really changed, our season as always is defined by who we beat outside the old firm. For some reason or other we just don’t perform against Celtic or Rangers, been like that in my time supporting the club under various managers. We were very poor today and gave up before we really even started. However we’ve been on a good run so let’s see how we go next game.

8 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

For whatever reason we don’t seem to clear our lines well against the Old firm. Always going to be hard especially giving them a goal of a start to settle them down. Thought we had a good 30 minute spell after half time but first half we just gave them too much space down both flanks. Once the third went in it was odds on they would score again. 

The reason the goals we concede look sloppy is because they have better players who take more advantage of their chances. That, plus they generally make more chances.

When we are playing Ross County, Livi or even Aberdeen, our mistakes are less harshly punished (and they don't make as many chances).

You really need to be switched on for 90 minutes in these games, and we do well during the times that we are. Today, there were too many spells when we were not.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, stv said:

we were beaten by a better team with more money than us and better players scouting has got feck all to do with it.

Gies a break.

Entitled to my opinion,  fully aware they have more money and better players but I expect a better performance than what I just witnessed..COYW

• Like 1

See i don't buy this team with more money it wasn't bloody Liverpool we were playing this was a very beatable Celtic we played today.Poor defending cost us nothing more nothing less.

Fergie broke the old firm with lesser team and I am pretty sure Leicester won Premiership with spending less money so getting bored of this better players and more money when we play Rangers and Celtic we shouldn't be letting in 4-5 goals a game ffs.

Also Chapman needs to sit on the bench and Archer get a shot.Chapman moves that slow i thought I had hit slow mo on my TV controller.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I just don’t think we raise our game against the old firm the way other clubs do, Accies and Livingstone two examples. We will never have players of the same standard, that’s just a given, they have more than one player that cost more than our entire squad. I just wish we didn’t ’ go into our shell and gave it a go at times. We looked terrified first half and again dispite what Lennon stated they are not that good, Rangers will win the league this season.

2 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

See i don't buy this team with more money it wasn't bloody Liverpool we were playing this was a very beatable Celtic we played today.Poor defending cost us nothing more nothing less.

Fergie broke the old firm with lesser team and I am pretty sure Leicester won Premiership with spending less money so getting bored of this better players and more money when we play Rangers and Celtic we shouldn't be letting in 4-5 goals a game ffs.

Also Chapman needs to sit on the bench and Archer get a shot.Chapman moves that slow i thought I had hit slow mo on my TV controller.

If you dont think resources are a huge reason why we struggle to beat the old firm AND no other team outside the glasgow cunts has won the league for over 35years, then there is no talking to you...the gulf is as wide as it's ever been and only going in one direction 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

To be fair the gap between Liverpool and Leicester, and the old Aberdeen and Celtic/Rangers teams were far smaller. We can’t even afford a decent Premiership player. We’re at the level of a decent league two team down south income wise.

Once again Motherwell take one for the good of Scottish football.  We apprecaite that it is imperative that the bigots in Green and Blue have crap managers. 

Lennon is a crap manager and all clubs must ensure he stays in post.  This will be done by the odd club taking points of them every few weeks.  This will mean that we can all witness these wonderful European nights seeing them stuffed by average teams in the Champions and Europa leagues.

For some reason Gerrard seems to be having some success and may not be crap. All clubs must do their bit to ensure the perception that he is up there with Klopp.  We know that the Daily Record push his reputation as a managerial genius.  This will mean that he will be back down the road to the English Premiership as soon as a Non-Covid cheque book opens.

Get a grip. Celtic have paid £9m for one player. They gave us our record transfer fee for a player who cannot even get a game. 

They have 4 players left NOT going on International duty. We had 4 players on International duty. 

The gulf is as big as it ever has been FFS. 

Why do we lose 4 or 5 goals. Because we try and play football and not just sit in like other teams do. Why do Livi and Killie give them more problems ? Because they have plastic shite pitches that Barcelona would struggle to play on. 

I am pissed off we lost but you also have to remember we are missing an entire defence and our No 1 goalie who would probably have kept the scoreline at 2-1 for longer. 

Celtic and Rangers should be beating every team by 4 or 5 goals given the advantage they have over every other SPFL teams. So no surprise they do it often against us. No surprise at all. 

Edit to add Rangers 3-0 up against Accies after 25 minutes. Why only us.....

• Like 1

Of course the bigger budgets and better players comes into it,we've known that for donkeys years when playing the old firm but lately it's just an easy excuse to brush off a string of really poor performances and results,were losing an average of 4 and 5 goals a game these days and that's simply not good enough.we have a serious mind set problem going into these games,were beating before a ball is kicked,if we were getting beat by silky football and guys firing them in from 30 yards then what can you really do but that's not happening,the level of goals we have conceded to the old firm this season alone has been a joke,it's like school boy stuff,we continuingly shoot ourselves in the foot and until we can somehow break that cycle to change the mentality then we're going to keep getting pumped.ive got mates who support the old firm that have said to me fir park was always one of the hardest away days,even if they won they always knew they were in a game,they never had it easy but it's the opposite nowadays,they come and get an easy 3 points without having to break sweat.im probably a bit naive but i always think we're capable of getting a result against the old firm when they come to down,it's just so frustrating the results we have had against them lately and then you have to listen to there braindead supporters after each game.

2 hours ago, johnny71 said:

I would have liked Robbo to have tried something different this time by sitting in and trying to frustrate Celtic but he does what he always does have a go at them and gets beat by 3 or 4 goals,looks a great spectacle for the neutral ,but groundhog day for us Well fans

completely agree.  losing 4 + goals is the norm .  

Long gone are the days of where we parked up and frustrated the old firm.  It wasn't pleasant viewing but nor is getting pumped with so much ease. 

That was a better watch performance-wise than many OF games in recent years.  There were specific mistakes for each goal, Polworth, O’Donnell, O’Donnell, Gallagher.  If we could cut those out we could compete.

Wasn’t as disappointed as in previous games.

6 minutes ago, ropy said:

That was a better watch performance-wise than many OF games in recent years.  There were specific mistakes for each goal, Polworth, O’Donnell, O’Donnell, Gallagher.  If we could cut those out we could compete.

Wasn’t as disappointed as in previous games.

Agreed

Against the Old Firm it’s time to stop thinking we are better than we are, let’s be honest they both have got better footballing players than us so let’s just get back to basics, get in their faces hit anything that moves and if in doubt fuck it out rather than trying to play them at their own game.

3 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Get a grip. Celtic have paid £9m for one player. They gave us our record transfer fee for a player who cannot even get a game. 

They have 4 players left NOT going on International duty. We had 4 players on International duty. 

The gulf is as big as it ever has been FFS. 

Why do we lose 4 or 5 goals. Because we try and play football and not just sit in like other teams do. Why do Livi and Killie give them more problems ? Because they have plastic shite pitches that Barcelona would struggle to play on. 

I am pissed off we lost but you also have to remember we are missing an entire defence and our No 1 goalie who would probably have kept the scoreline at 2-1 for longer. 

Celtic and Rangers should be beating every team by 4 or 5 goals given the advantage they have over every other SPFL teams. So no surprise they do it often against us. No surprise at all. 

Edit to add Rangers 3-0 up against Accies after 25 minutes. Why only us.....

Think this is an excellent post.

Anyone who thinks that even a below par Celtic side are even remotely beatable need to give themselves a shake. They've won 4 trebles in a row and have Edouard on the bench to bring on for fuck sake!

I cannot fucking stand them, and I detest getting beat by them, but the cold harsh truth is that in the grand scheme of things they are actually really good.

3 hours ago, johnny71 said:

I would have liked Robbo to have tried something different this time by sitting in and trying to frustrate Celtic but he does what he always does have a go at them and gets beat by 3 or 4 goals,looks a great spectacle for the neutral ,but groundhog day for us Well fans

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

completely agree.  losing 4 + goals is the norm .  

Long gone are the days of where we parked up and frustrated the old firm.  It wasn't pleasant viewing but nor is getting pumped with so much ease. 

There have been numerous occasions, probably more often that in fact, where we've tried to go with an approach that's more negative than today in the current horrible run against them.

And I'll bet if we were to look back we'd see the mirror image of these kind of posts crying out for us to have a go, that we're most likely going to lose anyway so why not try to take them on.

We lost this game and the earlier game this season to Celtic by three goals.  I tend to think that there is a bit more to be taken from a game such as this afternoon where we've had fourteen efforts at goal (unfortunately only two or three on it) than the game at Parkhead where it was a case of sit back and wait for the near inevitable.