Grizzly's trip doon memory lane

grizzlyg

Evening folks,   don't worry it's not a corny joke.  Just to see how many like me were this time  34 years ago tonight at Fir Park watching the mighty Well draw 1-1 with Liverpool in centenary game in front of 11,000 fans and king Kenny playing.....ahhhhhh magic.   As a 14 yr old seeing my well heroes and my Scotland hero was a night to remember..COYW

I was and it was magical. Never thought I would see Liverpool play at Fir Park and for it to include so many household names was a dream come true. Dalglish, Rush, Grobbellar and co were spellbinding. Great night and we even managed a draw, though my memories were that we were pumelled for most of the game.

• Like 1

I was there, though I wasn't that fussed about seeing Kenny D, had seen him often enough before. Great night though, not many teams got away without a loss against Liverpool in those days, even in friendlies.

Some brief highlights from the 'fishel Twitter, for anyone who missed the full replay earlier in the year...

• Like 1

I was at the Liverpool game but my only recollection from it was where I stood with Dad.  I can't remember much of the game itself.

There was a book launched to mark the centenary though and an autograph signing session at Motherwell Library, which also included some various artefacts from the club's history on display.  I remember more getting the booked signed and it being hastily whisked away for a Christmas present than the actual centenary match itself.

I went along with one of my best friends at the time. He was a very decent footballer but lazy as fuck. Had trials with Falkirk and Stirling Albion. He could have had a contract with either but he was not at all bothered. 

My abiding memory of the game was his number plate being called out during the game as he was blocking a driveway or something similar.  Of course I let him trudge off to move his car...

16 hours ago, Jumbomuir said:

The commentator is the one and only Mr Bobby Allan from Bellshill. For years he commentated to blind supporters who sat in the Main stand. Sadly missed top Well supporter. 

I heard him commentate to blind supporters a few times and he was unbelievable in his descriptions.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Winning by Name said:

Cunningham and Regis - Nightmare

Regardless of the score, seeing THAT West Brom team in their pomp must have been something! Laurie Cunningham ended up playing for Real Madrid when no one from the UK went there. He was some player. Robson and Batson went to Man Utd. Regis was some striker as well. Incredible team.

I was 14 as well and there with my football team mates watching from enclosure. My memory is of what looked like a fat guy in midfield running game from basically not going out centre circle and myself being amazed how good he was as a budding midfielder myself. Was only one jan molby. What a player.