Ex-Players

J.M.

Greetings to all of you, I am trying to collect data from former players, especially their playing positions.
Could you help me with the following former players?.

Fraser Wishart - Right Back.
Alex Kennedy - Central Defender and occasionally Defensive Mid.
Tom McAdam - Central Defender/Sweeper (Began his career as Central Forward).
John Philliben - Central Defender (Also Left-Back??).
Tom Boyd - Left-Back and Central Defender (right-handed).

John ‘Softie’ Philliben - Sweeper in the continental style, razor sharp accuracy with the long passes, super quick ,  had a gravity defying leap on him, and hit the most powerful penalties I’ve ever witnessed 

Was also manager ( with ‘Mio’ ) for 4 games , 2W 2L , lost the last game as Shaun Maloney is a diving cheating wee rat 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brazilian said:

John ‘Softie’ Philliben - Sweeper in the continental style, razor sharp accuracy with the long passes, super quick ,  had a gravity defying leap on him, and hit the most powerful penalties I’ve ever witnessed 

Was also manager ( with ‘Mio’ ) for 4 games , 2W 2L , lost the last game as Shaun Maloney is a diving cheating wee rat 

Liked a crack at a cherry

• Haha 1

Can you help me with the following players?

Steve Kirk - I don't really know what his positions were at Motherwell, he seems to have started his sport career as a right back but later played in more attacking positions.
Paul Smith - It seems he started as a striker and later played in midfield, I think at Motherwell he combined the two positions.
Andy Walker - this one is easier, striker.

2 hours ago, J.M. said:

Can you help me with the following players?

Steve Kirk - I don't really know what his positions were at Motherwell, he seems to have started his sport career as a right back but later played in more attacking positions.
Paul Smith - It seems he started as a striker and later played in midfield, I think at Motherwell he combined the two positions.
Andy Walker - this one is easier, striker.

Andy Walker … … … Arsehole !!! 

• 2 years later...

Hello, I would like to know the positions of the following ex-players of the club.
Brian Wright, I find him as a midfielder but without further details, I don't know if he would be a central midfielder.
Ray Farningham, I think he was a central midfielder but he scored a lot of goals and there is a sticker where they put him as a striker, but I also find other information where he comes out as a hard worker... can it be box-to-box?
John Reilly, I think center forward but because on the dundee utd page. Does he also play as a midfielder?

12 hours ago, J.M. said:

Hello, I would like to know the positions of the following ex-players of the club.
Brian Wright, I find him as a midfielder but without further details, I don't know if he would be a central midfielder.
Ray Farningham, I think he was a central midfielder but he scored a lot of goals and there is a sticker where they put him as a striker, but I also find other information where he comes out as a hard worker... can it be box-to-box?
John Reilly, I think center forward but because on the dundee utd page. Does he also play as a midfielder?

Brian Wright played central midfield 
Ray Farningham would be described as a winger
John Reilly indeed was a center forward who spent much of his Fir Park playing career giving the laundry woman at FP nightmares as he was never off his arse

On 11/26/2022 at 12:30 AM, Yabba's Turd said:

Brian Wright played central midfield 
Ray Farningham would be described as a winger
John Reilly indeed was a center forward who spent much of his Fir Park playing career giving the laundry woman at FP nightmares as he was never off his arse

thanks for the info

John Philliben basically played about 350 games for us plugging any hole in McLean's back 5.  Could play anywhere across the back.  He played a lot at right back latterly.

Stevie Kirk was mostly a midfielder but at times played upfront as a striker.

Tom Boyd mostly a centre back or left back.  I do seem to remember him having a spell in midfield though.  Didn't he score twice against Hibs playing in a midfield role?  It was 5 decades back so I might be wrong!

4 hours ago, steelman1991 said:

But was far better when moved back to Centre Back. Could best be described as a "utility" player up till that point.

Are you getting your Brians mixed up? I cannot remember Brian Wright playing centre back, whereas Brian Martin flourished for us when wee Tommmy moved him from midfield to defence not long after he joined us from St Mirren.

2 hours ago, The African said:

Are you getting your Brians mixed up? I cannot remember Brian Wright playing centre back, whereas Brian Martin flourished for us when wee Tommmy moved him from midfield to defence not long after he joined us from St Mirren.

Worlds apart in ability terms. 

5 hours ago, The African said:

Ah f..k it's an age thing :O. I read that post a dozen times and convinced myself it was "big buff" he was talking about. So, yes I did get them mixed up and agree totally with @well_said definitely poles apart in ability. To the poster - yes Brian Wright was a central midfielder and not a very good one at that.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

Ah f..k it's an age thing :O. I read that post a dozen times and convinced myself it was "big buff" he was talking about. So, yes I did get them mixed up and agree totally with @well_said definitely poles apart in ability. To the poster - yes Brian Wright was a central midfielder and not a very good one at that.

Easily done so don’t beat yourself up over it.

I’d agree that there is no real comparison between the two in terms of ability, but Wright played his part as, under McLean, we made slow but steady progress from a side yoyoing between the premier and first divisions to one capable of challenging for silverware.

16 minutes ago, The African said:

Easily done so don’t beat yourself up over it.

I’d agree that there is no real comparison between the two in terms of ability, but Wright played his part as, under McLean, we made slow but steady progress from a side yoyoing between the premier and first divisions to one capable of challenging for silverware.

"slow and steady", yes that would be an apt description of him too lol.

Tommy generally made these signings on a Friday evening, I reckon usually after a bucket load of wine and normally after a telephone conversation with his brother Jim.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, steelman1991 said:

"slow and steady", yes that would be an apt description of him too lol.

Tommy generally made these signings on a Friday evening, I reckon usually after a bucket load of wine and normally after a telephone conversation with his brother Jim.

His brother waited till wee Tommy was pished and told him that Gardiner',  Murray, Reilly and macleod were world beaters .

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Ian McLeod played for many seasons at Motherwell (243 games) can you confirm if he played mainly as a central midfielder? in the motherwell archive he comes as a midfielder while in a report from raith rovers it says that he was signed in a defensive midfielder role later moving to the left back even playing on the right, in Motherwell too?

Edited by J.M.