Season 2020’21: Game 13: St Johnstone (A)

Andy_P

That was a hard watch. Passive is the word that springs to mind. Strung three passes together once the whole game, and scored from it. Poor goal to concede after getting ourselves in front, O'Hara too slow with the ball at the edge of the box, and a clumsy challenge from Mugabi, albeit May made the most of it. It was still a penalty though. Not a lot of link up play from middle to front in particular. Windy conditions probably didn't help, but St Johnstone coped better, and looked far more likely to win it.  The only bright spot for me was Crawford, especially in the first half - tidy, assured, and comfortable taking the ball under pressure. Looks like a good addition. 

A good point which I would happily have taken pre match. St Johnstone have, for some years, been a combative and abrasive team. That is no accident and is part and parcel of the way they play. They could and should have picked up a couple of red cards but were very lucky they didn’t. Very annoying given the number of red cards we’ve picked up in Perth. This will now impact on next week’s game which will be very niggly. Knowing Saints they will be out to needle our lads next week with gamesmanship and “experience”.

Questions need to be asked of the SFA as to how the covid 19 situation arose and why the need for Campbell and Maguire to self isolate was only confirmed 4 hours before kick off. It’s grossly unjust that we should be disadvantaged by helping out the SFA if any organisational errors are found to have taken place. 

15 hours ago, Fairhill said:

Here we're not even into December and the rest of us are competing for no higher than 5th place.

It might even be competing for 6th place as Dundee United are starting to pull away, as they should be on their budget.  Pre season I thought they'd be a good bet for a top six finish and I've seen little to dissuade me of that notion.

6 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

It might even be competing for 6th place as Dundee United are starting to pull away, as they should be on their budget.  Pre season I thought they'd be a good bet for a top six finish and I've seen little to dissuade me of that notion.

We will finish top 6 Dave, Dundee Untd will slip back but think they will hold on to 6th. Its close now between us st J and Killie for 6th but I am confident we will moving up the table.

Let's be honest if we win our 2 games in hand, (or two 3-0 awards from the SPFL :ph34r:) we are back in tbe mix for the European places,  

We are going along nicely just now which should improve if we get some of the long term injury list back playing.

7 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

The opinion of their own fans is that they are toothless.  We should have beaten them earlier in the season.

Just had the benefit of watching the highligts on BBC.  Our goal was well taken and worked although it had a slight element of good luck about it when the ball was deflected nicely into O'Hara's path.  That kind of thing though has often happened against us so I'll take it happily. Saints' penalty was a tad harsh but Mugabi was a bit naive and May made the most of it. That said O'Hara shouldn't have been dispossessed so easily and the No 10 had all the time and space in the world to work his forward. Any one of 3 midfielders could have closed him down but didn't.

Bryson ought to have seen red as a few have said. It was a trip - he tried to rake his studs down Chapman's calf and the ref only stored up further trouble by failing to show him the red card.

All in all though a decent away point at a difficult venue, especially in view of unavoidable late call offs.

If our injury situation improves there's no reason why we shouldn't be in the mix for a top 6 place.   On paper we have a decent squad if we can get all of them fit. 

On 11/21/2020 at 5:55 PM, Kmcalpin said:

A good point which I would happily have taken pre match. St Johnstone have, for some years, been a combative and abrasive team. That is no accident and is part and parcel of the way they play. They could and should have picked up a couple of red cards but were very lucky they didn’t. Very annoying given the number of red cards we’ve picked up in Perth. This will now impact on next week’s game which will be very niggly. Knowing Saints they will be out to needle our lads next week with gamesmanship and “experience”.

Questions need to be asked of the SFA as to how the covid 19 situation arose and why the need for Campbell and Maguire to self isolate was only confirmed 4 hours before kick off. It’s grossly unjust that we should be disadvantaged by helping out the SFA if any organisational errors are found to have taken place. 

I saw McInness interviewed at Ibrox earlier and he was asked about it. Apparently the SFA had a meeting at 11am yesterday and the isolations arose from that. No idea why it was 11am sat and not earlier, maybe they didnt know until the sat? Tho I find that unlikely