Motherwell - St Mirren Scottish Cup 70's Alex Ferguson

Yabba's Turd

3 hours ago, steelman1991 said:

Don't think I've ever seen anything on YouTube. It was covered by the BBC as their highlights game on the Saturday evening - what a game - real fitba, not this tippy tappy pish we get now - fuck I'm sounding like my old man :lol:

It was a classic for many reasons, but definitely not one for the purist.  I'm pretty sure the BBC highlights started with the second half kick-off because there wasn't much for the neutral to enjoy in the first half.

20 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I'm pretty sure the BBC highlights started with the second half kick-off because there wasn't much for the neutral to enjoy in the first half.

They did indeed. 

I was at this game, went for a wee before kick off and took half an hour to get back to my mate behind the goals! 

Also, such was the ill feeling from this game that every game between us for the next few seasons was guaranteed at least one red card. 

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

We were in the Main Stand for the game and it was pretty incredible to see Fir Park that full.

My two main memories of that game are what a niggly, dirty wee team St Mirren were in those days, and Wullie P's penalty.

Did the Higgy 

My main memories are the huge crowd and trying to  build a sufficiently large plinth of bricks lying around the dreadful cludgie at the Firpark School end to see the game properly (and standing beside Peter McCloy, which added a bizarre twist). That and getting annoyed by the niggling , diving antics of SM, which were totally in sympathy will Ferguson's  nasty philosophy.

This game probably darkened relations between the two clubs for a couple of decades because of his whiny, hypocritical comments in the press.

Of the game itself, I have no clear memory.

54 minutes ago, Jumbomuir said:

Remember the game well and speaking to Wullie after the game said W. McLean told they basically to kick F### out of St Mirren and by god did they do it. Miller Mclaren, McVie and everyone else just superb in carrying out the instructions :lol::lol:

We Fergied them off the park.

If I remember rightly, Alex Ferguson started his psychological nonsense well before the game. He very publicly implored the referee to protect his naive and frail players from our likely brutality. They would need protection from our "thugs" like Davidson, Marinello, Graham and Pettigrew and Wark.

In reality his young charges were streetwise and anything but naive. They were old way beyond their years and had been very well coached in the dark arts of football.

3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

If I remember rightly, Alex Ferguson started his psychological nonsense well before the game. He very publicly implored the referee to protect his naive and frail players from our likely brutality. They would need protection from our "thugs" like Davidson, Marinello, Graham and Pettigrew and Wark.

In reality his young charges were streetwise and anything but naive. They were old way beyond their years and had been very well coached in the dark arts of football.

Yes, but we also kicked them off the park. We had a great blend of talent and hard men in that team. Loved it.