Jumbomuir

Stephen Robinson resignation discussion

11 minutes ago, Jumbomuir said:

Without the gift of 6 points which on all known form we wouldn't have got had we played, I would say 2nd bottom!!!!!, so get real, don't let the points gift cloud the judgement, ROBBO OOOOOOOT

But we are 5th and not adrift at the bottom by four points, there is no way Ross County would have sacked their manager if they were in our position, there is no comparison to make. If we drop into the bottom two then it’s an issue. One thing i’ve learned on here in the last three years is panic sets in far too early, the board do not follow that mode and have been shown to be correct. 

1 minute ago, Jumbomuir said:

It's not supposition it's truth, we are Pish, so open yir eyes man. 

It's supposition. It's your opinion.  Regardless of whether you think we'd have got six points or no points the league table as it stands is the reality.

Just now, Andy_P said:

It's supposition. It's your opinion.  Regardless of whether you think we'd have got six points or no points the league table as it stands is the reality.

Aye until an appeal, worst I've seen in 60yrs, if you don't see that, well what can I say. Not getting into a spat, but his time is up. 

3 minutes ago, Jumbomuir said:

It's not supposition it's truth, we are Pish, so open yir eyes man. 

It’s supposition simply because you’re as good as stating we would have lost both games and be down to 11th. How is it anything other than that.

Just now, Jumbomuir said:

Aye until an appeal, worst I've seen in 60yrs, if you don't see that, well what can I say. Not getting into a spat, but his time is up. 

And if there's an appeal and the points are removed, then that then will become the reality.  And again the latter is your opinion.

5 minutes ago, Jumbomuir said:

As an aside, Worst in sixty years you say?

Out of interest, what were you saying  pretty much forty years ago, give or take a day or when we were sitting something like eighth in the First Division having just been cuffed by Stirling Albion?

7 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

And if there's an appeal and the points are removed, then that then will become the reality.  And again the latter is your opinion.

Really and do you think that in our current form we would have won 6 points, because I don't. Appreciate you might like the manager, but better than him have been sacked and better have resigned. And to answer your point, different times and been many changes since. If you are happy at what you're seeing, we'll that's you opinion. 

I've already said that Robinson can afford to lose today and the next two but after that needs to deliver points on the board in the following three. However a wee question to his defenders.....

What exactly do you think he is bringing to the table at this point which makes him unsackable? We have had very similar on field performances to Brian Rice's Hamilton side who are basically a two Bob outfit at this point. What value is Robinson adding? 

We look by far the mentally weakest side in the league at this point. Any time we face the slightest adversity we crack badly. Not having scored an equaliser in December is a huge red flag. Every indicator is that we are in a dog fight. 

4 minutes ago, Jumbomuir said:

Really and do you think that in our current form we would have won 6 points, because I don't. Appreciate you might like the manager, but better than him have been sacked and better have resigned. And to answer your point, different times and been many changes since. If you are happy at what you're seeing, we'll that's you opinion. 

So, not the worst in the sixty years as the statement says then?

9 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I've already said that Robinson can afford to lose today and the next two but after that needs to deliver points on the board in the following three. However a wee question to his defenders.....

What exactly do you think he is bringing to the table at this point which makes him unsackable? We have had very similar on field performances to Brian Rice's Hamilton side who are basically a two Bob outfit at this point. What value is Robinson adding? 

We look by far the mentally weakest side in the league at this point. Any time we face the slightest adversity we crack badly. Not having scored an equaliser in December is a huge red flag. Every indicator is that we are in a dog fight. 

I don't think anyone has said he's unsackable and I think it goes without saying there is plenty of room for movement.  It boils down to whether the board feel he is meeting the expectations they have placed upon him, and if he isn't whether they chose to give him time and resources to remedy any failings they perceive to be.

Were we to find ourselves in a Mark McGhee style position come February I could well see them making a decision.  For now though I imagine they'll view that whilst the season has failed to live up to the hopes (and expectations?) we had he remains largely ticking the boxes.  And that having come through a similar spell in December 2018 he has shown that he can bounce back from a similar period of poor form. So they'll give him that time.

Now for one he doesn't have someone like David Turnbull to build a team around, nor does he have the two week training camp in the Canaries to work on things with the sun on their backs so I fully accept that it'll be more significant challenge for him.

It may come to the point a change is required but for me I'm still comfortable that he gets the time, and backing in January, to attempt to improve things.

5 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

I don't think anyone has said he's unsackable and I think it goes without saying there is plenty of room for movement.  It boils down to whether the board feel he is meeting the expectations they have placed upon him, and if he isn't whether they chose to give him time and resources to remedy any failings they perceive to be.

Were we to find ourselves in a Mark McGhee style position come February I could well see them making a decision.  For now though I imagine they'll view that whilst the season has failed to live up to the hopes (and expectations?) we had he remains largely ticking the boxes.  And that having come through a similar spell in December 2018 he has shown that he can bounce back from a similar period of poor form. So they'll give him that time.

Now for one he doesn't have someone like David Turnbull to build a team around, nor does he have the two week training camp in the Canaries to work on things with the sun on their backs so I fully accept that it'll be more significant challenge for him.

It may come to the point a change is required but for me I'm still comfortable that he gets the time, and backing in January, to attempt to improve things.

Ah time, the healer of all evils, get real man. 

Had a wee look at our 2020 calendar year form - only including the games we have actually played. 

P27 W6 D7 L14 = 25 points

Averaging 0.92 points per game. 

38 games played at that average would see us finish with 35 points (rounding up). In the last ten years no-one has went straight down with 35 points, however in 5 of those 10 years it would see us in the relegation play-offs. 

If we continue in this form, we could be heavily relying on the Killie and St Mirren points- which will take us to roughly 39 points (still play-off form). If they win their appeal however....

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jumbomuir said:

Ah time, the healer of all evils, get real man. 

I am.  We're in the top half of the table and the manager is doing what the board have asked of him.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

He’s definitely not unsackable, and other teams would have got rid of him before now.  However, we’re not going to spend the money on firing him and hiring someone else as long as the board feel he will keep us up. 

There’s also the issue of his replacement being all but decided already. Maybe Lasley will surprise everyone when the time comes,  but It’s not an exciting prospect. I don’t know who else would be feasible either, so I’m not convinced sacking him will necessarily turn things around. 

I agree with the above point about our lack of mental toughness though. There really is no grit to the team, and our heads go down way too easily. The late goals conceded against hibs and rangers, our inability to hold leads against St J, and shitting it against accies are some examples. Those worry me more than some of our results, as that’s not easy to turn around. Even though we’re not a particularly young team, I feel that we need to add some serious experience in a few areas next month.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

You've lost all credibility saying that this is the worst Motherwell team in 60 years.

Don't think so, maybe you have replying to it. Just before I retire with a small libation, how many points do you think we will win before the end of the year????. The man's lost the the plot, don't worry but, listen out for "We pick ourselves up and go again" or last weeks belter"Jake isn't fit enough yet????," Well he bloody should be you've had nearly 5 months to get him fit. Look oot for more wool getting pulled over yir eyes. Stephen get the door :lol:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CoF said:

Had a wee look at our 2020 calendar year form - only including the games we have actually played. 

P27 W6 D7 L14 = 25 points

Averaging 0.92 points per game. 

But the Blarney Stone Kisser said we were disciplined today, no what we were was utter Pish,football that was an embarrassment to Motherwell Football Club .Take a look at the stats above and weep 

1 hour ago, Jumbomuir said:

If you think that team is the worst in 60 years,then  youve not been following them 60 years.

I've only followed them for approx 50 and theres been probably double figures worse teams than that, doesnt make this team good tho

Hyperbole wont get you a reasoned debate.

Certainly not worst side in 60 years, (I remember a side with Davie Shanks and Mark Caughey)  However...I do look at both sides of the debate.  For Robbo out corner then anything he does will get criticism,  but i am more concerned about the Robbo must stay corner and how you can keep defending the current situation.   He looks like a man that has no idea how to fix things, we are even getting the usual 'we have no budget' nonsense ahead of  next transfer window. We had a budget but he has blown it on poor signings before start of season.   I feel change is needed but if he can turn it round I am prepared to give him more time but I just fear  we won't get out of this.   Yes we are 5th but also only 4pts off 11th.  COYW

Just had a look back 40 years when we were in division one . The squad that season was 

Bobby Carberry  Joe Carson  Bruce Cleland   Ian Clinging  Brian Coyne   Graeme Forbes   Johnny Gahagan  Willie Irvine  Tony Kane   Albert Kidd  Mike Larnach  John McKeever   Brian McLaughlin   Ally McLean   Chic McLelland   Steve McLelland  Iain MacLeod  John Mackay  Paul Mills  Tommy O’Rourke  Stuart Rafferty  Howard Sameroff   Joe Smith   Gordon Soutar   Hugh Sproat   Joe Wark   Derek Williams  Lawrie Williams.

Some real dross there but at least about half a dozen that would walk into today's team.

2 minutes ago, well_said said:

Just had a look back 40 years when we were in division one . The squad that season was 

Bobby Carberry  Joe Carson  Bruce Cleland   Ian Clinging  Brian Coyne   Graeme Forbes   Johnny Gahagan  Willie Irvine  Tony Kane   Albert Kidd  Mike Larnach  John McKeever   Brian McLaughlin   Ally McLean   Chic McLelland   Steve McLelland  Iain MacLeod  John Mackay  Paul Mills  Tommy O’Rourke  Stuart Rafferty  Howard Sameroff   Joe Smith   Gordon Soutar   Hugh Sproat   Joe Wark   Derek Williams  Lawrie Williams.

Some real dross there but at least about half a dozen that would walk into today's team.

Jeez that is a trip doon memory lane 

8 minutes ago, well_said said:

Some are getting on a bit, but could do a job

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Yabba's Turd said:

Some are getting on a bit, but could do a job

Lost matches to some illustrious names that season   = berwick  rangers, Stirling Albion, ayr United  and oh aye our poor relations from the south of the county.