Jumbomuir

Stephen Robinson resignation discussion

44 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

Should you not be getting ready for your next red carpet appearance?

(For you who don't know, he's the goofy looking cunt with the green hat)

trolls-948x640.jpg

Which one is Yodo,?

21 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Which one is Yodo,?

Not sure about Yodo but I’m the blue one top middle. Typical “happy clapper”.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ropy said:

Every manager has a shelf life, I was shocked at the decline of McCall.  What concerns me is what might replace him.  The board probably support Robinson just now, they have no motivation to replace him other than a few disgruntled folk on the forums.  Are we assuming that old man Tom coming out of retirement is the answer or are we going to pull another unknown out the hat?

What if who comes next is worse.  It is the board that decides, not us.

The thing is re mcall and now robinson. It is not all down to them as because we need to always sell our best players to supposedly better teams the ones we then buy are always nearly never as good.

I wish we had a never ending youth production line but as managers all think of their jobs (quite rightly) and as the spl is really cutthroat in that nearly any of 10 teams could find themselves in trouble  they dont blood youngsters as much as they are scared.

Robinson got lucky a couple of years ago where he could play turnbull scott hastie etc end of season when we weren't going to be relegated so no pressure and they thrived. 

Normality has resumed and our new non league english signings are remembering us where we signed them from.

Yes we will unearth a diamond now and again but in the norm no.

Over last few years that wee spell when we were singing hastie campbell and turnbull was most enjoyable in years as we all felt an affinity with them

A good friend of mine is a Raith fan and he is, in turn quite close to many within Starks Park. Some of the stories about Yogi's attitude towards the club, players and staff were outrageous. Very much a "I'm Yogi Hughes and I'm doing you a massive favour by even being here" approach.

13 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

We can forget about John Hughes (thankfully) as Ross County have appointed him.

We should be worried as I reckon Yogi will keep them in the league. 

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

We should be worried as I reckon Yogi will keep them in the league. 

The online supporters seem less than happy.

8 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

The online supporters seem less than happy.

When they start climbing the league they will be organising an online fundraiser to build a statue in his honour.  Yogi will be immortalised in bronze. :biggrin:

I can't believe how people like Hughes can go from club to club, do very little and still get good jobs. 

I don't want Motherwell to sign a manager who's been with 6+ clubs , the last one being a lower division club with a 26% win rate. 

When we do replace Robinson I'd like someone with a bit of vision for the club (which SR did have 3+ years ago) 

This thread is destined to rumble on until Robinson eventually leaves the club, isn't it? At which point the new guy will get maybe six months before the same people moaning about Robbo will start on him as well.

What people need to understand is that we're in a situation where fans getting back into stadiums is as far away as it ever has been throughout this pandemic. No one is taking risks. Not people, not households, and not football clubs.

Under Robinson we finished third last season, which brought in £2,062,500. Did we deserve to finish in that spot? Maybe not, and we may not have finished third if the league hadn't been stopped.

But it was, and we did. You don't get paid on where you should have finished, you get paid on where you do finish.

We finished third, we were awarded the money allocated to the team finishing third.

Because we finished third, we qualified for Europa League football this season, and in the three games we played the club were awarded €780,000, which is roughly £700,000.

Under Robinson we've also seen the sale of David Turnbull, James Scott, Cedric Kipre, and Louis Moult. While the figures are never confirmed, it's safe to say we generated somewhere in the region of £6 million. Sell-on fees etc will maybe add to that figure down the line.

Take into account that in his three seasons here so far he's led us to 7th, 8th, and 3rd place finishes, along with a league cup and Scottish cup final.

For a manager who's remit is to, at minimum, keep us in the top division and try to produce a player we can sell for a decent chunk of cash every summer or so, it's clear he's doing his job.

Throw in the fact that we're not in a bad league position at present and you have a situation where sacking the manager would be borderline ridiculous. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

All above is correct, maybe this window he’ll be as ruthless as he appeared to be at the start of his tenure and cut out the underperformers and those just not up to it. It does not feel like a meritocracy at present.

The main issue for many of the “get him out”mob is the turgid displays on offer, lack of perceived plan B or C, half arsed commitment and inconsistency.

When you add on the appeared frittering away of hard earned money with nothing built on it and little to show for it. All that makes being a well fan at present a bit “meh”.

Is 4th beyond us? Never say never, in recent memory we came back from 5-2 to draw 6-6 with Hibs, scored a last minute dodgy goal against Aberdeen to secure 2nd, I’ve see Leicester win the EPL, Liverpool overturn a huge aggregate score against Barca and us actually beat Rangers in 3 meaningful (albeit not league) games. I saw the bump of Craig and Archie where we went 12 (was it?) games unbeaten after they were appointed.

The squad on paper has the tools to do it. I can’t handle this season being reduced to a potential Scottish Cup exit to Stenhousemuir and mid table mediocrity.

7 minutes ago, Yodo said:

If Killie and St Mirren win their appeals and we lose 6 points we go second bottom Nuff said there's the door 

No we don't

6 minutes ago, Yodo said:

If Killie and St Mirren win their appeals and we lose 6 points we go second bottom Nuff said there's the door 

If Motherwell beat Dundee Utd we go fifth.  Nuff said, there's the door.

3 minutes ago, grumpy said:

No we don't

Sorry m8 but we do 22minus 6 = 16 at the moment Accies second bottom with 17 

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Correct,

Except if St.Mirren and Kilmarnock win their appeal, Hamilton lose three points too, so 17 - 4 = 14.

Unless of course you hate Motherwell so much you are allowing Hamilton to keep their points whilst penalising Motherwell, actually, I've always suspected you weren't a 'Well fan

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

7 minutes ago, Yodo said:

I take it that St Mirren also appealed the Hamilton game so they would also drop 3 points if appeal is successful!

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

If Motherwell beat Dundee Utd we go fifth.  Nuff said, there's the door.

Your earlier post about what Robinson has brought into the club was spot on, however our current league placing is in no way a reflection on how we are playing so I think it's wrong to ignore our current 12 month trend. 

We're in relegation form and have been since the start of 2020. We've just taken 2 points from a possible 18, scoring one goal every 135 minutes along the way. We're averaging less than a point a game across the season. If we continue in this trend we will likely be just above the play-off places assuming the appeals aren't won. If they are won, we'll be in the relegation / play-off spots. 

I don't think Robinson should be sacked. He's proved he has the ability to turn things around, and should be given this window to do so. We absolutely need to get the signings right. If we don't then come the end of January the board will have some thinking to do, with both options carrying huge risks. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoF said:

Your earlier post about what Robinson has brought into the club was spot on, however our current league placing is in no way a reflection on how we are playing so I think it's wrong to ignore our current 12 month trend. 

We're in relegation form and have been since the start of 2020. We've just taken 2 points from a possible 18, scoring one goal every 135 minutes along the way. We're averaging less than a point a game across the season. If we continue in this trend we will likely be just above the play-off places assuming the appeals aren't won. If they are won, we'll be in the relegation / play-off spots. 

I don't think Robinson should be sacked. He's proved he has the ability to turn things around, and should be given this window to do so. We absolutely need to get the signings right. If we don't then come the end of January the board will have some thinking to do, with both options carrying huge risks. 

Not my post earlier - I'm guessing you are thinking of David's post. My own you've quoted was simply a one line flip side to Yodo's ever dripping tap of negativity.

But whilst I'm replying there isn't a lot I'd disagree with in your post.  The overall form in 2020 hasn't been as good as it could have been.  Recruitment is crucial next month and if that doesn't work then depending on how the league table looks around February then there might well be decisions to be made.

With some fresh blood and, even our existing players doing more of what they did tonight and cutting out some of the stupid mistakes that cost us dear, I would hope we would have enough about us to be clear of any relegation concerns.  There have been several games this season we've lost by a single goal that cutting out those mistakes combined with a marginally better performance might well have been enough to secure better results in.  Performance wise aside, I'd be more concerned were we losing by two or three to our peers, rather than, as has often been the case, sucker punch single goal losses.

1 hour ago, Andy_P said:

Not my post earlier - I'm guessing you are thinking of David's post. My own you've quoted was simply a one line flip side to Yodo's ever dripping tap of negativity.

But whilst I'm replying there isn't a lot I'd disagree with in your post.  The overall form in 2020 hasn't been as good as it could have been.  Recruitment is crucial next month and if that doesn't work then depending on how the league table looks around February then there might well be decisions to be made.

With some fresh blood and, even our existing players doing more of what they did tonight and cutting out some of the stupid mistakes that cost us dear, I would hope we would have enough about us to be clear of any relegation concerns.  There have been several games this season we've lost by a single goal that cutting out those mistakes combined with a marginally better performance might well have been enough to secure better results in.  Performance wise aside, I'd be more concerned were we losing by two or three to our peers, rather than, as has often been the case, sucker punch single goal losses.

Oh aye, sorry misread who posted what there. 

Yeah, watching tonight's game I was thinking we're not absolutely shite. That's been the case for most of the season. Not awful, not good just.... nothingness. I think it's safe to say Robinson has probably tried every tactic and team talk he can think of to try get things going. The only thing that will make a difference now is the personnel - I think a couple of astute signings that go straight into the starting 11 could properly turn things around and we'd end up having a half decent season. Easier said than done though. 

8 hours ago, CoF said:

Oh aye, sorry misread who posted what there. 

Yeah, watching tonight's game I was thinking we're not absolutely shite. That's been the case for most of the season. Not awful, not good just.... nothingness. I think it's safe to say Robinson has probably tried every tactic and team talk he can think of to try get things going. The only thing that will make a difference now is the personnel - I think a couple of astute signings that go straight into the starting 11 could properly turn things around and we'd end up having a half decent season. Easier said than done though. 

Absolutely, we simply can’t go through the window with no addition’s and we won’t. It’s pretty obvious what areas need strengthening and if we do that with the addition of those players returning from injury we will be fine.

I've defend Robinson this season for the most part although I didn't think it required great foresight to see the strikers we had at the club weren't good enough.  However I think we are now entering a crucial phase of the season.

Last night's result means our current form is as bad as our abysmal start to the season - 6 matches without a win, 4 defeats, 2 draws.  

Our goalscoring record isn't much better 3 goals in 6 , failed to score in 3 out of 4, as opposed to 2 goals in the first 6.

The other factors I've consistently judged Robinson on, which are bringing through youth players and playing decent football, are also going backwards.  For me the Maguire situation is becoming irksome.  Robinson has continually talked him up, given him contracts yet never given him a run, despite Maguire  being our best player in his last start and the pretty dismal standard of performance from our midfield this term.  Now I don't expect Maguire to turn our season round on his own but he absolutely needs to be given a Cadden/Hall style run in the team.

As for the quality of the football, out side the League Cup run we've only probably had 6 months of decent football under Robinson and right now we are barely worth watching.  We are slipping back towards the desperate Dunne/Bowman era of hoofball garbage.

So overall I'm starting to look to see where the improvement is.  We had a little spell of improvement but that's gone now and It certainly isn't a shitefest draw against Aberdeen.  Aberdeen shitefest draw a lot of away matches (St.Mirren, Hamilton, Dundee Utd etc) so I don't think patting our self on the back for drawing with Aberdeen is up to much frankly.

We have two winnable matches coming up before new year and I'll be particularly interested in the Kilmarnock match as their form has taken a pretty severe dip recently .  For me these will more than likely represent if the see saw falls one way or the other.

As I've said I have mostly defended Robinson this term but I need to see something to defend again, and soon.

• Like 2