Jumbomuir

Stephen Robinson resignation discussion

good to see him accepting accountability. He clearly cares and comes across as a decent guy.

We've gone from a team who need 2-3 players to turn things around to a team who need new ideas. I'm not sold he backs himself to make a difference.  Sounds like a guy who's lost confidence in himself.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, ropy said:

The issue is that we have too many guys marking Lamie at the back that we don’t have enough players going forward.  Get Mugabi or some young boy to step up beside Gallagher in a back 4 then get a midfield 4 or 3 with someone wide feeding Watt and..............I realise I’ve no name to finish this sentence.

Agree - Maguire should be able to fit into defence - is that not where he came from.

4 men in midfield - preferably a winger.

up front Watt and Long - both have got ability 

10 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Agree - Maguire should be able to fit into defence - is that not where he came from.

We need  battlers so no way would I have Long anywhere near first team,  horrible attitude and that is why he hasn't played at higher level 

13 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

:lol: 4 man midfield, You do realize we do not have a single winger at the club yes? 43 strikers who can " play all across the front 3", none of whom can score agoal. And half a dozen average - utterly shite midfielders. 

We could do 4 at the back, but midfield MUST be a central 3

The board need to take a look at the Livingston situation when they just couldn’t buy a win, fortunately for them Gary Holt resigned and since he departed they are undefeated and without any wholesale changes, so that proves to me that a Manager/Coach can make the difference AND their budget must be the lowest in the league with probably about 1,000 season ticket holders if they are lucky.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, middleeastdave said:

The board need to take a look at the Livingston situation when they just couldn’t buy a win, fortunately for them Gary Holt resigned and since he departed they are undefeated and without any wholesale changes, so that proves to me that a Manager/Coach can make the difference AND their budget must be the lowest in the league with probably about 1,000 season ticket holders if they are lucky.

We've got the second lowest budget in the league remember. 

Just don't think to hard that about the fact that we have higher match day income, transfer income and prize money than 5 other teams....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, steelboy said:

We've got the second lowest budget in the league remember. 

Just don't think to hard that about the fact that we have higher match day income, transfer income and prize money than 5 other teams....

This is the thing that rips me the most. We seem quite content to play the poor us hand when in reality it’s a lot of shite. The old firm, Hibs, Aberdeen and Dundee United have larger budgets, yes, but not for one second so I believe that any of the others do. There’s a case for county given the owner however look at our recent transfer income (dwarfs others outwith the city clubs), our average support is the 8th largest in the country (7th in the league), we had cup runs, European runs this season and prize money from a third placed finish. I’ve said it on here time and again. Outwith the old firm, we were probably the best placed side to kick on this season, given all of the relative resources we brought in whilst others were scrambling for cash. What did we do with it? Fuck all. We spunked it on sub standard players and a bloated squad. Half of this forum raised the wanting flags in august. 
mis management is an understatement 

I like Robinson but I don’t see the point in giving him another couple of games when the writing has been in the wall since the opening games v Ross County, Utd and Accies and we’re now even worse than we were then. Literally any team, regardless of form or squad, can just rock up to Fir Park and take the points. It’s beyond embarrassing.

6 wins from 30 in 2020, 2 points from 18 v Accies and St Mirren, never equalised all season, the stats are absolutely horrific. Accies and St Mirren next, can anyone honestly see these as being anything other than defeats? That’s how far we’ve fallen.

It’s one thing to make bad signings but to watch Lamie play every week and still pick him is a sackable offence in itself. I’ve played with better Sunday league players. 

The players of course should be ashamed of themselves to have no fight or any sort of professional pride. They’re about to go down in history as the bunch who took a club down for the first time in 35 years but I doubt any of them give a shit.

Of course it’s risky binning a manager mid season but so is doing nothing, especially on the form we’re in and on the trajectory we’re on.

With all the English games off with covid there is absolutely no no way we’re getting those 6 points back now by the way so if there are any signings lined up they are going to have to be absolutely out of this world to save us.

Worst of it is, if we go down, we’ll be down for years. If we think the football, players and signings are bad now, just wait and see how it looks when we’re in our 3rd/4th consecutive season in the championship.

2 hours ago, middleeastdave said:

In the Livingston model we would appoint Lasley.

3 hours ago, middleeastdave said:

It depends how you look at it. To me it looks like players who were not trying very hard and are now putting in a shift to impress the new manager. Will be interesting to see how that goes after the honeymoon period has passed. It always amazes me how supporters are happy to forgive players  that simply were not trying for a previous  manager.

Gary Holt did a good job and clearly left behind a squad that was fit and capable. That suggests good management to me.

I would use Ross County as an example of being careful what you wish for. Jim McIntyre (like Robinson) was a hard working respected coach that brought stability and a higher level of professionalism to Ross Country. Several managers later and they are still struggling to see any further improvement. I doubt Yogi Hughes is going to bring any real lasting improvement to RC’s fortunes either.

I am not sure what point Steelboy is making above regarding budget but if it is that we actually have 7 th highest budget in the league then surely 7th in the league would be a break even result? Sadly third place finishes and Cup Finals are not cutting it with some of our support now.

Being the Motherwell manager is a really tough job. The fact that the supporters expectations are high is testament to the fact that the club is well run and well managed over the last few decades. It is not because we have better resources than Hearts, Hibs, Dundee Utd that we have been more successful in recent times.

Jack Ross is the only manager in our league that would be an improvement on Robinson in my opinion. I think we have to be careful what we wish for.

He deserves the window to turn things around. A decent striker would go a long way to solving our problems.

Football supporters generally do a very good job of not supporting their managers and players during difficult spells. I hope our board don’t act like common supporters and back their man. He deserves it.

• Like 5

The Board will back Robinson. In truth he has earned that right and history shows that he has invariably managed to sort matters out on the pitch. Whether he can manage to do so again is another matter. 

He is doing a next to impossible job. I don’t think any other team in the top flight has lost so many good players the past few seasons. Great for balancing the books but terrible for the standard on the pitch. Granted a lot of that is down to contracts and player wishes but how much better would we be with Scott, Turnbull, Kipre, Hastie (joke) and McKinstry in the side. 

His interview last night had him admitting he would take the blame several times, so he is not passing the buck. He acknowledges that the players he has brought in or back to the club are not making the grade but nor right now are established players like Polworth or even Campbell. I see Big Deccy has come out and said it is the players fault. Glad he has because they have a lot to answer for. They are as much to blame as the Manager if not more so. The squad on paper looked good enough in the summer to get top 6. Apart from Turnbull very little has changed. 

If we are still in the bottom 2 come February then the pressure on the club to act will be significant.  It would be a shame to see him go but I understand that after a while change is required to keep the club on a forward momentum. Assuming we make the right appointment. 

40 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

The Board will back Robinson. In truth he has earned that right and history shows that he has invariably managed to sort matters out on the pitch. Whether he can manage to do so again is another matter. 

Im not sold he knows how to turn this around.  His body language and post match comments come across as someone who's out of ideas.

As a few people have mentioned there is no young Faddy or Turnbull coming through the ranks who can dig us out a hole.    Hope I'm wrong but he looks to have run out of ideas.

1 hour ago, star sail said:

It depends how you look at it. To me it looks like players who were not trying very hard and are now putting in a shift to impress the new manager. Will be interesting to see how that goes after the honeymoon period has passed. It always amazes me how supporters are happy to forgive players  that simply were not trying for a previous  manager.

Gary Holt did a good job and clearly left behind a squad that was fit and capable. That suggests good management to me.

I would use Ross County as an example of being careful what you wish for. Jim McIntyre (like Robinson) was a hard working respected coach that brought stability and a higher level of professionalism to Ross Country. Several managers later and they are still struggling to see any further improvement. I doubt Yogi Hughes is going to bring any real lasting improvement to RC’s fortunes either.

I am not sure what point Steelboy is making above regarding budget but if it is that we actually have 7 th highest budget in the league then surely 7th in the league would be a break even result? Sadly third place finishes and Cup Finals are not cutting it with some of our support now.

Being the Motherwell manager is a really tough job. The fact that the supporters expectations are high is testament to the fact that the club is well run and well managed over the last few decades. It is not because we have better resources than Hearts, Hibs, Dundee Utd that we have been more successful in recent times.

Jack Ross is the only manager in our league that would be an improvement on Robinson in my opinion. I think we have to be careful what we wish for.

He deserves the window to turn things around. A decent striker would go a long way to solving our problems.

Football supporters generally do a very good job of not supporting their managers and players during difficult spells. I hope our board don’t act like common supporters and back their man. He deserves it.

You made a post very similar to this just minutes before Gannon got binned. 

Supporting the players is fine if they actually give a toss. Do the majority of this lot, who probably know they won't be here to face the consequences of relegation, one way or another?

Current guidelines don't allow for an arm round their shoulders, but you could just about manage a boot up the arse from 2 metres.

5 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

That’s him resigned 

Confirmed on BBC Sport

So, that's Star Sail seen off two managers with  posts on here.  Back in your box for a couple of years son......

4 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

That’s him resigned 

Mixed emotions about it but think it was inevitable after last night.

Now we need some kind of positive reaction from the players

Fair play to him for assessing that he can't turn this around. Any sympathy should be tempered by remembering he has his cut of the Turnbull fee and a pay off so he is walking away with a fat bank balance. 

Hopefully we see a reaction from the players on Saturday.

24 minutes ago, steelboy said:

You made a post very similar to this just minutes before Gannon got binned. 

:lol:. Yes and Baraclough. Well sadly lightning may be striking twice. Disappointed to hear the breaking news. 2020 has not been the best.

Stockport County going from strength to strength at the moment right enough.