Jump to content

Jumbomuir

Stephen Robinson resignation discussion

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Shaka said:

I can forego top 6 finishes and cup finals if it means we are an organized & fit team. I want to see a team who look like they are fighting for the club.

Aye right. I seriously doubt you'd be happy with a team of try-hards finishing 10th place every season. Consistently losing games is shite.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think what most motherwell fans want is a committed team giving 100% effort every game playing to a system that's suits the players playing in their natural positions and not the dross we have been served up in 2020.  We know that that the likelihood of winning trophies is practically nil , so we would be able to handle defeats a bit better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, well_said said:

I think what most motherwell fans want is a committed team giving 100% effort every game playing to a system that's suits the players playing in their natural positions and not the dross we have been served up in 2020.  We know that that the likelihood of winning trophies is practically nil , so we would be able to handle defeats a bit better.

You think?

The more I read about what people aspire to with the new manager I can't help but think people are pretty much asking for what we were getting towards the end of 2018. 

To use the quoted example. You had a committed team giving 100% effort.  You had players playing in their natural positions. You had a system that suited the players at the time.  None of that mattered a jot though because results, performances ad style of play were generally piss poor.  Were people handling the defeats OK then because they were giving 100%? No they were screaming to change everything from the Chief-Exec to the manager to the players.

And it is fanciful thinking to believe our support are going to accept that in 2021 either if, even if we get what is being asked here if the results are pish.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, CoF said:

Aye right. I seriously doubt you'd be happy with a team of try-hards finishing 10th place every season. Consistently losing games is shite.

The thing is, because we cant compete even wi Aberdeen, Hibs & Utd for players, being fitter & more organized is what we need to give us an  edge. A team like that is far more likely to be 7th or 8th or even higher, than 10th or lower. 

Im not saying we keep the dross we have currently and become Hamilton. Im saying we become better than the individual parts by using the things we CAN effect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Shaka said:

The thing is, because we cant compete even wi Aberdeen, Hibs & Utd for players, being fitter & more organized is what we need to give us an  edge. A team like that is far more likely to be 7th or 8th or even higher, than 10th or lower.

I'm with you that. We need to build from the back and make us hard to beat, whilst acknowledging we also need to sharpen the attack. The key to success, for us, is fitness, organisation, a work ethic, physicality and a wee bit of pace. Nothing fancy, just get the basics right and cut out silly errors.   It wouldn't be pleasing on the eye but it would be successful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

You think?

The more I read about what people aspire to with the new manager I can't help but think people are pretty much asking for what we were getting towards the end of 2018. 

To use the quoted example. You had a committed team giving 100% effort.  You had players playing in their natural positions. You had a system that suited the players at the time.  None of that mattered a jot though because results, performances ad style of play were generally piss poor.  Were people handling the defeats OK then because they were giving 100%? No they were screaming to change everything from the Chief-Exec to the manager to the players.

And it is fanciful thinking to believe our support are going to accept that in 2021 either if, even if we get what is being asked here if the results are pish.

 

No mention was made of 2018. 

I did not mention 2018 , perhaps I could have put it better by saying that these are the basic requirements of any football team , but there was no sign of this at all in 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, well_said said:

No mention was made of 2018. 

I did not mention 2018 , perhaps I could have put it better by saying that these are the basic requirements of any football team , but there was no sign of this at all in 2020.

No, I absolutely get what you are saying and I agree I would expect those basics to be evident in every game, but everything you listed you was there in one of poorest spells of Robinsons reign.  Were people satisfied that the basic requirements of any football team, as you put, were being met whilst we were losing?  No they weren't.

I think back to the recent Aberdeen game as another example. We were hard-to-beat , organised and tough to break down. The effort was certainly there if quality was lacking somewhat.  Look back at some of the comments about the game. "dire", "excruciating", "turgid junk" and so on. And that was only a draw.

Essentially what I'm getting at is I'm sceptical that if some of our support were critical, sometimes hyper-critical, of a manager when his teams got to Cup Finals and qualiied for Europe , I don't see them being any more accepting of losses by a new incumbent even if those basics requirements are met.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

No, I absolutely get what you are saying and I agree I would expect those basics to be evident in every game, but everything you listed you was there in one of poorest spells of Robinsons reign.  Were people satisfied that the basic requirements of any football team, as you put, were being met whilst we were losing?  No they weren't.

I think back to the recent Aberdeen game as another example. We were hard-to-beat , organised and tough to break down. The effort was certainly there if quality was lacking somewhat.  Look back at some of the comments about the game. "dire", "excruciating", "turgid junk" and so on. And that was only a draw.

Essentially what I'm getting at is I'm sceptical that if some of our support were critical, sometimes hyper-critical, of a manager when his teams got to Cup Finals and qualiied for Europe , I don't see them being any more accepting of losses by a new incumbent even if those basics requirements are met.

 

 

The poor spell has lasted a full calendar year, and how many times did we play like we did in the Aberdeen game?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion , and if the disagree with yours then tough.

Your the man who does the polls , put one up and see how many wanted robbo to go or stay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, well_said said:

The poor spell has lasted a full calendar year, and how many times did we play like we did in the Aberdeen game?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion , and if the disagree with yours then tough.

Your the man who does the polls , put one up and see how many wanted robbo to go or stay.

Where have you or anyone else been prevented from expressing an opinion?  People disagree with me all the time, you are doing so now, that's what its all about.  Some of the best reads on here stem from differing opinions.

Whether people wanted to see Robinson stay or go is however completely irrelevant to the point I was expressing my opinion, solely your assertion that people will accept defeats more readily under a new manager just because a team has performed the basics.  They won't.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oops sorry thought I had clicked into a Hamilton Accies  forum by mistake for a moment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CoF said:

Ach, that's good. I've been feeling it's time for him to go in recent weeks but his departure is tinged with a bit of sadness for me. You'd struggle to find a more committed or enthusiastic manager.

Really nice to see, well done to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Managers come and go

Players come and go

Directors come and go

Only thing constant at a football club are it’s fans, and they are all entitled to their opinion which will be wide and varied. Everyone sees things differently 

Over the piece Robinson was a good fit for our club and overall I’d say he was a success. But he had his flaws from day 1. One of my pet hates was that it didn’t matter who played at fullback they gave the opposing sides freedom to roam up and down our flanks and deliver balls into our box. This was obviously drilled into them by the manager for what ever reason.

Some of the hype around transfer fees I think is overstated. People on this forum were crying out for Turnbull to be in the team but Robinson was reluctant to do it When he was eventually forced to play him he stumbled upon a midfield 3 of Campbell/ Gorrin / Turnbull which turned our season round. Big Cedric is another one, he was not the one that we wanted to sign think his name was Dembelli and he signed for someone in France and at the time we took Cedric for our youth team.

Overall think there have been more positives than negatives, but at our level I think everyone has a sell bye date and unfortunately Robinson had reached his.

I wish the guy well wherever he turns up to ply his trade in the future 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, wellwell91 said:

Managers come and go

Players come and go

Directors come and go

Only thing constant at a football club are it’s fans, and they are all entitled to their opinion which will be wide and varied. Everyone sees things differently 

Over the piece Robinson was a good fit for our club and overall I’d say he was a success. But he had his flaws from day 1. One of my pet hates was that it didn’t matter who played at fullback they gave the opposing sides freedom to roam up and down our flanks and deliver balls into our box. This was obviously drilled into them by the manager for what ever reason.

Some of the hype around transfer fees I think is overstated. People on this forum were crying out for Turnbull to be in the team but Robinson was reluctant to do it When he was eventually forced to play him he stumbled upon a midfield 3 of Campbell/ Gorrin / Turnbull which turned our season round. Big Cedric is another one, he was not the one that we wanted to sign think his name was Dembelli and he signed for someone in France and at the time we took Cedric for our youth team.

Overall think there have been more positives than negatives, but at our level I think everyone has a sell bye date and unfortunately Robinson had reached his.

I wish the guy well wherever he turns up to ply his trade in the future 

 

Following on from your post wellwell91 I cannot argue your valid points, but I was wondering what everyone would think SR’s worst and best signings.

in the worst category there is numerous players especially the recent batch from this season, but my vote would go to Ross McCormack, he must have realised after he signed him that he was not fit and had no intention of getting fit either.

In the best category there is a few namely Carson, Gillespie, Aldred, Gallagher but I would give it to Kipre as his best signing of his Motherwell career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we let Stephen Robinson sign defenders and Ian Baraclough sign strikers we'd win the league

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Yassin said:

If we let Stephen Robinson sign defenders and Ian Baraclough sign strikers we'd win the league

McGinley and Lamie wouldn’t win an under 16’s league 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was never shouting for Robbo out but if this was on the cards the board would have had a decision to make 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never wished for anyone to lose their job, however I do think it was on the cards that Robinson left. His record this year has been dreadful. Signings godawful,. Supported the Well for years and this is the worst team to have pulled on the jersey - no guts, no fight. Not worth their wages, not fulfilling their contract as footballers. What a memory Robinson has left us

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BAZ said:

I have never wished for anyone to lose their job, however I do think it was on the cards that Robinson left. His record this year has been dreadful. Signings godawful,. Supported the Well for years and this is the worst team to have pulled on the jersey - no guts, no fight. Not worth their wages, not fulfilling their contract as footballers. What a memory Robinson has left us

 

 

You'll get slaughtered on here for telling it exactly like it was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, well_said said:

You'll get slaughtered on here for telling it exactly like it was.

Maybe Lasley needs to let the players read some of this on here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

Maybe Lasley needs to let the players read some of this on here. 

I imagine against every managers advice, some players will read this forum. They probably think we're a shower of absolute fannies with some of the chat that goes on. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in the day when we were still a young forum as welltrustfc.net, Terry Butcher used to have every club chat thread printed off and on his desk for him arriving each morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back when we were the happy clappy offshoot of firpark corner and had some clout, now it's mainly ceremonial. 

Hopefully he didn't show any of the printouts to Kevin McBride or Marc Fitzpatrick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

Maybe Lasley needs to let the players read some of this on here. 

God I hope not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some quotes from Robinson following the appointment of Graham Alexander:

Quote

When you go for a job interview everybody tells you things and you're not 100% sure until you actually speak to the previous manager.

I assured Graham it was a top class football club in terms of the people there. I had my reasons for leaving, but there was nothing I could say to discourage Graham.

I could only encourage him to work at a very good football club and assure him he would be allowed to run it from top to bottom with no interference whatsoever. 

The expectations have risen massively in the last three or four years. And achieving those expectations time and time again might not be possible with the size of the budget Motherwell have and a fan base of 4000.

So you have to keep over-achieving and driving the club forward.

To finish third and get to cup finals is a big deal and I warned him the club would sell his best players — but that's something he was happy with and used to.

Beyond that I couldn't encourage him any more to go into Scottish football. Graham is his own man, he will make his own decisions.

Every year at Motherwell you build up the walls and they get knocked down,. There was never a chance to build on to the next season. You were starting from scratch every year.

I just thought the time was right for me personally to go. I didn't believe I could take the club any further. There was frustrations in there which were nobody's fault. I was desperate for a new training ground. I was desperate for infrastructure to improve, but there isn't a magic wand. Without money that's very difficult to do. 

The chairman Jim McMahon and Allan Burrows are men I couldn't say anything but good things about.

Allan and Jim were behind the idea but it didn't quite materialise and I felt I couldn't take the club to the next level. I felt the club had reached the ceiling of where we could go to. Personally I don't believe Motherwell will finish any higher than third.

A top six finish and a cup run is what the club should be aiming for and arguably we over-achieved by reaching two cup finals and the third place finish. When you are bringing in £6million for the sale of young players and not spending any transfer fees when you sell them on it's very difficult to replicate time and again.

The right time to go would have been the summer probably. I'm the type of person where I don't let anybody do anything. I try to do absolutely everything myself and you do run out of steam sometimes.

I was drained in terms of trying to push and push and push. When you are in management for five or six years at one place you become drained. It was the most difficult season I'd been involved in. You didn't know where you were going to train. You didn't know when you were going to get a day off. In terms of preparation Covid made the job even harder.

Unfortunately in football you sacrifice a lot of things. I probably missed my youngest boy Charlie growing up in the last five or six years.

He's now a young man, 16, six foot one tall. I saw him regularly enough, but I made a lot of sacrifices for football and you just realise at times that you need a little time for yourself and your family.

It might only be a short break. In football you don't get to wait and year and then say, "okay I'll go back in." I am not Pep Guardiola and if an opportunity comes along at what I feel is the right football club with people with a similar mindset to Motherwell then that would be appealing.

I would be very keen to move to the right club. Whether it's Scotland or whether it's England I don't think it's important, so long as it's the right club. I left Motherwell in a much better position with no debts whatsoever and I am proud of what I achieved there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×