Season 2020’21: Game 14: Hibernian (H)

Andy_P

We need to calm down this evening. Our season will not turn on a 3-0 thumping from Hibs. They're sitting 3rd and deservedly so. Disappointing certainly that another team didn't need to work hard for their goals and outmuscled us. I'm confident some off the field changes would improve matters through a change in formation and personnel.  Again we were caught out by playing a narrow 3 in midfield but if you make the same mistakes each week you can't expect a different outcome. A simple change at the back by dropping Mugabi and moving O'Hara back will help. St Mirren is a more winnable game.....if we learn our lessons from today and last week.

14 minutes ago, walking down the Fir Park said:

Our squad is simply not good enough, in fact it’s as poor as it’s been in years.  Our signing policy needs looked at.  From our squad I count 9 players who are not good enough to start or come on to change a game.

lamie

mugabi 

mcginley 

grimshaw

long

lang

hastie 

seedorf 

white 

the above list of players says it all and limits us to the ability of changing a game when we are chasing it 

I wouldn’t put Lang in that sorry list. As for Mugabi it took a wee while for both Cedric and Louis to find their feet and that was without injury. The rest can either grow a pair, have freezing cold showers and train like Spartan warriors between now and May or tatty bye.

Grafting to get a top 6 finish and fingers crossed for a decent Scottish cup run by early December is rank.

Thought we played well first half and could have well been ahead at half time. Had that been the case i suspect a different outcome.

However not excusing a completely inadequate performance in the second half. Pathetic, frankly. A few players need to take a good look at themselves.

3 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Certainly some of strikers aren't good enough but in fairness to them the service from midfield has been either very poor or totally lacking. 

Midfield has been a real issue all season,o'hara has none of the attributes to play in there,either get him back to centre half or leave him out,polworth has been poor,he should be looking to dictate games more often than he does but he seems to be another one that's just watching the games pass him by the now,add in the fact that we have zero quality in the wide areas our midfield really is poor,campbell must really be thinking to himself what the fuck am I playing with here.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

I wouldn’t put Lang in that sorry list. As for Mugabi it took a wee while for both Cedric and Louis to find their feet and that was without injury. The rest can either grow a pair, have freezing cold showers and train like Spartan warriors between now and May or tatty bye.

Grafting to get a top 6 finish and fingers crossed for a decent Scottish cup run by early December is rank.

Suspect this season we'll end up somewhere between 6th-8th position - cant see a top 6.

Personally don't see Mugabi every being good enough . 

5 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Stickers need opportunities - which should come from creative midfield or wingbacks that get up to the line.

We offer very little as an attacking force.   Long/Lang/Watt can all finish but they need service 

Yes, I agree. I find it very difficult to blame the strikers when they simply don't get anything to work with.

A better performance this week, for the first 45 minutes anyway. The second half though was just a shambles. It seems that when we are on top, other teams are able to react to counter any threat that we have, Motherwell on the other hand appear unable to adjust to grapple control from any other team in the league. Why do you think that is? Answers on a postcard.

27 minutes ago, mfc88 said:

Thought we played well first half and could have well been ahead at half time. Had that been the case i suspect a different outcome.

However not excusing a completely inadequate performance in the second half. Pathetic, frankly. A few players need to take a good look at themselves.

My thoughts exactly... 

I don't think Mugabi is the problem. He played okay today, and is much improved overall. Seems like an easy scapegoat due to some wobbles early in his 'Well career. 

Our midfield and general shape is a bigger problem. Most games pass Polworth by, and there's very little creativity in the team aside from him. 

However, Watt should have scored twice today, and that could have changed the game drastically.

Easy to blame everyone but my take of the game was we were unlucky. All games are really close and today with disallowed goal and other gd opportunities the game could have been really different.  Our forwards dont create enough for themselves and whilst I'm a polworth fan he is now being marked out of game. This ultimately means no creative players going forward.  We need imo a gd cf and also wingers who are dangerous ala arriybi for instance. Plus our midfield is really lacking someone who can pass the ball . After all that the funny thing is there is not much between all teams other than top 2.

We were unlucky 1st half. But that 2nd half performance was lamentable. Awful and simply not anywhere near good enough. 

What happened to make such a turn around. We were well in the game and quite probably should have been ahead at HT. 

I remember looking at the bench start of the season and purring. Today it had me hugely worried. Not one player that you could believe would make any kind of difference. 

Hibs were streetwise and made the last 20 minutes a stop start affair but what depresses me the most is that fact I know if we were 1-0 up we would be camped in our half defending like fury. At no point at 1-0 or even 2-0 did we look like getting back into the game. Granted we were unlucky with Mugabi hitting the post but we were essentially very weak. That is a worry in a league when at the very least most team have players that will battle away. 

In 7 out of 14 league matches this season we've had 2 or less shots on target.

The highest number of shots on target in a game is 5, joint worst in the league with Ross County.

Total number of shots on target is 35 which is second worst in the league.  For reference Hamilton have 51 and Rangers have 104.

Conclusion - couldn't hit a barn door.

Polworth does nowhere near enough to merit a start every week.  Don’t understand the criticism of McGinlay as I think he’s looked good and has been head and shoulders above anything else in the fullback positions this season.  Obviously sold the jerseys for the third today but the game was already done by then. 

I think that was a much improved performance over the St Johnstone games especially the first half ,and i seriously think if we had took our chances then the outcome would have been different 2nd half wasn't as good and Hibs came into it more, though Hibs were clinical the3-0 scoreline flattered them.

Just listened to the same old tosh being spoken in his post match interview, interesting to hear that old phrase"We don't have the same quality " getting used. That will be the same quality that got a draw at Easter Road. Get real Stevie boy you just can't motivate them any more and your Time is Up!!!!, your signings are disastrous and tactics terrible. Thanks for the cup finals etc, but goodbye after all if the Hearts had come calling you would have gone. Shut the door on the way oot. 

Just listened to Robinsons interview, can’t believe our goal was disallowed for a foul. Said at the time that better be for offside as it’s never a foul. Frustrating, as that would have massively changed the game. Not saying we would have won but to go in front just before half time would have been huge in terms of confidence.

27 minutes ago, Simoooo said:

Polworth does nowhere near enough to merit a start every week.  Don’t understand the criticism of McGinlay as I think he’s looked good and has been head and shoulders above anything else in the fullback positions this season.  Obviously sold the jerseys for the third today but the game was already done by then. 

Not really much of an achievement when you have Lamie and Grimmy playing there this season.   I am  not convinced at all about him but hopefully he can prove me wrong