Season 2020’21: Game 14: Hibernian (H)

Andy_P

36 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

In 7 out of 14 league matches this season we've had 2 or less shots on target.

The highest number of shots on target in a game is 5, joint worst in the league with Ross County.

Total number of shots on target is 35 which is second worst in the league.  For reference Hamilton have 51 and Rangers have 104.

Conclusion - couldn't hit a barn door.

Those stats are simply embarrassing.

29 minutes ago, Jumbomuir said:

Just listened to the same old tosh being spoken in his post match interview, interesting to hear that old phrase"We don't have the same quality " getting used. That will be the same quality that got a draw at Easter Road. Get real Stevie boy you just can't motivate them any more and your Time is Up!!!!, your signings are disastrous and tactics terrible. Thanks for the cup finals etc, but goodbye after all if the Hearts had come calling you would have gone. Shut the door on the way oot. 

It's a hard watch at ths minute and I am a Robbo fan.. its maybe one of those years, tomny mclean had them too

Imagine somebody being tempted by a higher paid job, you dont even know if that's true tho 

Cliché City;

1. 'We will play worse and win'

2. 'Half time came at the wrong time'

3. 'Everything that could go wrong did'

4. Goal chalked off for no apparent reason.

5.' Thems are the breaks'

6. 'Gotta score when you are on top'.

7. 'We suck it up and go again'

And finally-----'Thats fitba'

A flattering scoreline perhaps but you couldn't say Hibs didn't fully deserve the win.

I thought the first half was pretty even and at the interval I thought we'd done pretty well.  For all Hibs are often lauded and we've been largely uninspiring this season they looked no better than us in that opening forty five and we might even have been in front had the goal stood.  It gave cause for encouragement.

The performance levels in the second half were significantly different however.  We fell away badly whilst they looked much more like a team with the reputation they have.  And whilst twe failed to take the chances, or half-chances that came our way whilst we were on top they were much more clinical with the opportunities that came their way.

Poor defending to give up the opportunity for the goal so soon after the warning with Archer's instinctive save and further misfortune for us with Mugabi's header off the post but after that there was nothing.  No real head of steam built up that gave hope for an equaliser and a pretty lame capitulation in the final few minutes.

As well placed as we are courtesy of those additional six points, I see little to suggest we're capable of putting any sort of sustained run together that might enable us to put in a genuine attempt at European qualification or that we are sufficiently awful that we'll get relegated.  I think unless there's a bit of tweaking to the squad in January it's going to be more of the fairly non-descript mid-table nothingness. Win a couple, a lose a couple.  That's clearly better than being embroiled in a relegation battle but in a season where people are already apathetic about watching at home, it does little to keep the enthusiasm high.

• Like 1

I seem to remember people on here at the start of the season saying how good the squad was looking and we were in for a good season. Now some of the same people are making lists of the s***e players that Robbo has signed and calling for his head. How many of these keyboard warriors have any experience of football management at any level apart from on their PlayStation. Give it a rest and SUPPORT your team. 

2 minutes ago, real dosser said:

I seem to remember people on here at the start of the season saying how good the squad was looking and we were in for a good season. Now some of the same people are making lists of the s***e players that Robbo has signed and calling for his head. How many of these keyboard warriors have any experience of football management at any level apart from on their PlayStation. Give it a rest and SUPPORT your team. 

I was one of these and I can’t for the life of me remember what got the hopes high, it was perhaps our hopes for Lang.

40 minutes ago, ropy said:

I think the ref got it wrong chalking off the goal but I thought he let the rest of the game flow.  There were many situations where a more fussy ref would have stopped the game.

I like your posts Ropy. Very amusing but....

I could not give a flying f*ck if he lets the game flow if he incorrectly chalks off a goal for us at 0-0. I have yet to see it analysed but if it is a poor decisions then it is an appalling decision. Hibs were markedly the better side in the 2nd half but had we been 1-0 up at HT then who knows how things would have turned out. 

5 minutes ago, milo said:

Just seen the highlights, why was our goal chopped off?!?! There’s not even a hint of a foul anywhere! That’s a shocker! Hee haw wrong with it!!! 

Quite. He is a twat Andrew Dallas. I thought at the time there was nothing obvious. 

Imagine that was an Old firm game and one of the teams won 1-0. Never hear the end of it. As it us it will be forgotten about this evening. 

1 hour ago, ropy said:

I was one of these and I can’t for the life of me remember what got the hopes high, it was perhaps our hopes for Lang.

We had Turnbull back and got to 3rd without him.  

Personally had high expectations - Long was back who did quite well, Campbell, Turnbull, Hastie in midfield.

Sadly it's been brutal - not the league position but the style of play is horrific. 

Watching the highlights the big dilemma is what do we do for left back next week. I know there are a lot on here who rate him but I just dont think Mcginley is good enough. First goal he leaves man and challenges guy in the centre, 3rd one makes a hash of though game is finished by then.  As I have said before we dont do average left backs, they are either superb or poor. What the answer is I have no idea.  COYW

7 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Watching the highlights the big dilemma is what do we do for left back next week. I know there are a lot on here who rate him but I just dont think Mcginley is good enough. First goal he leaves man and challenges guy in the centre, 3rd one makes a hash of though game is finished by then.  As I have said before we dont do average left backs, they are either superb or poor. What the answer is I have no idea.  COYW

Not so sure - its a bit harsh blaming him for the first. Boyle was his man, but he went to put pressure on Nisbet (i think it was?) who looked like he was about to have a free header. 3rd goal, yeah, brutal but like you say game was done. Personally I believe there's a player in there.

Have never been a fan of robbo's back 3 lineups, but I think its needed right now - O'hara, dec and mugabi.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfc88 said:

Have never been a fan of robbo's back 3 lineups, but I think its needed right now - O'hara, dec and mugabi.

Having to revert to Ohara in defence is a sad reflection and completely calls out how poor signings have been 

We have 10 defenders listed in our first team squad.

Ohara played well in defence but our midfield is light. Personal view is we need to bolster the midfield and have at least 4 men in there.  

Watching us take corners is absolute feckin chronic. Everything about us in the box is chaotic. The state of the box when we were taking a free kick in the second half was brutal. We never seen to have a man clear on the far side.

That said I am a Robbo fan. However today's Post match interview to moan about decisions going against us was a bit pathetic. Forget about the goal being chalked off, that is the absolute least of our worries on the back of today. Bottom line is they comfortably fired 3 past us in the second half. They absolutely dominated the second half and only one team looked like scoring. Our decision making is absolutely pish and I feel like our players pass the buck so often to the nearest man rather than try to carve something out which might lead to a better opportunity.

9 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

McGinley is never a full back, he’s the best fit for filling in at the moment.

The first has been explained further up, both he and Gallagher move one across to cover the gaping hole left by Mugabi... again. Damned if they do, damned if they don’t and the ball is dropped centrally.

Whilst caught in possession for our 3rd, regardless if the game is gone at that point, Mark O’Hara can’t escape criticism for another non attempt at protecting the back four - the primary role of holding midfielders.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, StirlingDosser said:

Watching us take corners is absolute feckin chronic. Everything about us in the box is chaotic. The state of the box when we were taking a free kick in the second half was brutal. We never seen to have a man clear on the far side.

That said I am a Robbo fan. However today's Post match interview to moan about decisions going against us was a bit pathetic. Forget about the goal being chalked off, that is the absolute least of our worries on the back of today. Bottom line is they comfortably fired 3 past us in the second half. They absolutely dominated the second half and only one team looked like scoring. Our decision making is absolutely pish and I feel like our players pass the buck so often to the nearest man rather than try to carve something out which might lead to a better opportunity.

Don’t disagree about our corners. Seedorf in the second half a particular delight. We had 5 players on the Hibs goal line and he (somewhat surprisingly) mishits it over everyone's head and out. Sums him up to be honest.

On your other point, Robbo 100% has every right to moan at what was an appalling decision. There was nothing wrong with our goal. At 1-0 the game may have panned out a lot differently. Hibs may still have won but it certainly would have been more difficult for them.  And to be fair he is also makes it VERY clear he is not blaming that decision for us losing the goals and game in the 2nd half. 

I though his after match interview was interesting. He seemed to take a different approach and talk up the positives. His only negatives were Watt missing a couple of good chances and them being able to bring Doidge off the bench. We were OK 1st half but very poor second half. It was not that long ago we were beating Ross C and Livi comfortably. Hibs are a much better team of course but I think we will have a better notion next Saturday when we play St Mirren.  Win and we will Probably finish mid table. Lose and we will start to slide down the table and the scrutiny on Robbo will ramp up considerably. Big game. Need to be at it and for all players to play well for 90+ minutes. 

52 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Don’t disagree about our corners. Seedorf in the second half a particular delight. We had 5 players on the Hibs goal line and he (somewhat surprisingly) mishits it over everyone's head and out. Sums him up to be honest.

On your other point, Robbo 100% has every right to moan at what was an appalling decision. There was nothing wrong with our goal. At 1-0 the game may have panned out a lot differently. Hibs may still have won but it certainly would have been more difficult for them.  And to be fair he is also makes it VERY clear he is not blaming that decision for us losing the goals and game in the 2nd half. 

I though his after match interview was interesting. He seemed to take a different approach and talk up the positives. His only negatives were Watt missing a couple of good chances and them being able to bring Doidge off the bench. We were OK 1st half but very poor second half. It was not that long ago we were beating Ross C and Livi comfortably. Hibs are a much better team of course but I think we will have a better notion next Saturday when we play St Mirren.  Win and we will Probably finish mid table. Lose and we will start to slide down the table and the scrutiny on Robbo will ramp up considerably. Big game. Need to be at it and for all players to play well for 90+ minutes. 

Agree with much of that Iain. Our set pieces, especially corners have been very poor this season. 

It does look to be a bad mistake by Andrew Dallas and that could have affected the course of the game, although Hibs would, in all likelihood still have won comfortably. 

In his post match comments, he mentions a lack of "nastiness" and "devilment" and hints that we're too soft. We are a bit naive and thats been shown up tiome and again this season.  The team doesn't seem to have an overall character this term. There's no physicality, no thunderdome football but there's no expansive open flowing football either. 

Next Saturday is a big game and it won't be easy, as our last 2 results against the Buddies at Fir Park have shown.  For this game I'd like to see changes in formation and personnel so that we give ourselves a fighting chance at kick off.

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

Ohara played well in defence but our midfield is light. Personal view is we need to bolster the midfield and have at least 4 men in there.  

This is true. As others have pointed out there is very little link up play between the midfield and forwards. We now to bolster the midfield to make us more competitive in there and to give us more width in which to create chances. Whether or not we have the personnel to make it work is another question that needs answering.