Season 2020’21: Game 15: St Mirren (H)

Andy_P

Anything less than 3 points and the knives will be out for Robinson.

Archer

O'Donnell

Mugabe

Gallagher

McGinley

Polworth

Crawford

Campbell

Lang

Watt

Hastie 

If Cole is out then Hastie is the best of the bunch to take his spot, whilst still not being good enough to be honest. O'Hara hasn't been at the races for weeks and Crawford impressed in his two games.

3-1 to us.

44 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

Surely we can't lose three home games in a calender year to St Mirren. Can we?

We both know the answer to that.

We've fallen back into our early season habit of not taking our chances. That needs to change soon and this game is as good as any for the strikers to get back into the groove.

The biggest issue for me is Robinson, as he's done on his previous stinking runs, continues to do the same things expecting it to yield different results.  We've been pretty honking all year and there seems to be no real signs of improvement.

The goals we're conceding are criminal and belie the fact we've got some good players in those positions.  We continually pass up chances at the other end and the midfield isn't doing either of its jobs proficiently.

It was a very predictable outcome on Saturday and worryingly, the players looked like they chucked it when Mugabi hit the post.  That was it, the game was done.  That's never a good sign for a manager coming under increasing pressure.  Recruitment has been pretty poor and unfortunately I don't think we'll have much scope to rectify things in January.

As for St Mirren, it's a game we dare not lose given our run of fixtures.  We look so devoid of confidence that it won't be a shock to see them come and secure a fairly comfortable win.  Hopefully that isn't the case and we can kick start our season.

The current 3-5-2 system  and the same players(and subs) needs a serious freshen up.

• Like 3

I believe O'Hara is a better defender than midfielder, and we should go back to using him and Gallagher as the central defence. Put Maguire back in as the holding midfielder, and hope that Polworth gets the finger out his arse, and starts to show that he can pass the ball to his team mates. Also stop the long ball rubbish, and get someone up front to assist Watt.

• Like 2

Stop giving opposition wingers the freedom of Fir Park would be a start.

Would playing O Donnell as a right sided wing back with someone behind him(  Grimmy?) shore up one side at least plus he can put in a good cross from a forward position as we saw with Scotland.

Feel free to shoot me down

Archer

Mugabi Gallagher O'Hara 

O'Donnell Campbell Maguire Polworth McGinlay 

Watt  Lang/Cole

Dunno who suggested playing Hastie or Seedorf against Tait but a complete no-no. Two poor wingers that Tait has had the benefit of facing in training on a regular basis. 

There's no formation or lineup that's going to get universal approval. For me Long, Hastie, Lamie, White and Seedorf should be nowhere near the starting lineup and frankly if all of them were removed from the wage bill in January, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world...

• Like 1

Given what transpired last week, St Mirren will be feeling hard done by and undoubtedly motivated for this game. Its got an away win written all over it. We will need some big performances from our players to avoid a bloody nose here. 

No idea what formation or team selection Robbo will go with. Will probably all depend on who is fit.  We could be doing with Cole available as he holds the ball up better than other strikers and might give Watt a bit more freedom in the final 3rd.  Id be happy to see Maguire come back into midfield and deploy O'Hara at the back, although that might work better in a 3.

Apart from that? Who knows?

13 hours ago, santheman said:

Stop giving opposition wingers the freedom of Fir Park would be a start.

Would playing O Donnell as a right sided wing back with someone behind him(  Grimmy?) shore up one side at least plus he can put in a good cross from a forward position as we saw with Scotland.

Feel free to shoot me down

Couldn't agree more about opposition wingers. Why make life unnecessarily difficult for ourselves? The only question for me is on which wing we should deploy Grimshaw. Not the most gifted player in the world but he has a bit of character about him. Probably down to Saints' personnel and tactics and who we think needs most cover between O'Donnell and McGinley.  

8 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Couldn't agree more about opposition wingers. Why make life unnecessarily difficult for ourselves? The only question for me is on which wing we should deploy Grimshaw. Not the most gifted player in the world but he has a bit of character about him. Probably down to Saints' personnel and tactics and who we think needs most cover between O'Donnell and McGinley.  

For all his faults, we’ve lost a lot of drive and energy from the team with his removal.

That’s drive and energy that forces us further up the park...  not the flying anorak type chasing favoured by some on here.

On 12/7/2020 at 6:20 PM, ropy said:

Go back to the Ross County and Livingston games, see what the line up was, pick a team as close to that as possible, replace anyone that is unavailable with as close to like for like as possible.  Simple.

Going back to the Ross County game ………… they could have quite easily scored 4 goals 

Really have to win this for the reasons that is could be 3 consecutive defeats to St Mirren at Fir Park in a row and it’s our most realistic chance to get 3 points in the next 4/5 games. Losing this is just unthinkable really. 

1-0 St Mirren then. Tait with the goal.

Hopefully that team will keep St Mirren squeezed in and if we apply enough pressure we should get chances. 

I watched Billy Gilmour, Nathan Paterson and Euan Henderson  all perform in Europe this week. Robbo should take note and be reminded that youth development is a big part of his remit. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Hopefully that team will keep St Mirren squeezed in and if we apply enough pressure we should get chances. 

I watched Billy Gilmour, Nathan Paterson and Euan Henderson  all perform in Europe this week. Robbo should take note and be reminded that youth development is a big part of his remit. 

Billy Gilmour league appearances = 6

Euan Henderson league apperances = 6

Nathan Paterson league appearances = 1

Barry Maguire league appearances = 18th today

Of course, Maguire will come in for his usual stick on here, but when fans say they want our youngsters to play, what they really mean is they expect our youngsters to be as good as senior pros with 5 years behind them.

• Like 1