Season 2020’21: Game 15: St Mirren (H)

Andy_P

Just now, wellup83 said:

An extra man and 2 up front would be a start. A blind man can see there's a gulf of space in the midfield that is being exploited week in week out. Our best player is chasing shadows in there! I'm fast losing patience with robinson now we're shite to watch and never look like we have a plan of attack. 

That's what I've been suggesting for a few weeks now,an extra man in midfield and lose a striker,for having a fairly large squad by our standards our options really are shite,were constantly relying on the same guys no matter what formation we could go with,it's simply not good enough.

1 minute ago, mfc said:

That's what I've been suggesting for a few weeks now,an extra man in midfield and lose a striker,for having a fairly large squad by our standards our options really are shite,were constantly relying on the same guys no matter what formation we could go with,it's simply not good enough.

That’s what a lot of people have been suggesting for weeks

Problem is Robinson is so pig headed and he ain’t going to change it 

3 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

What would you suggest as an alternative? The shape isn't  the problem, it's the quality of player...

Exactly. Formation is a moot point, Long doesnt want to be here, Maguire is showing why he hasnt broken through the last 3 years and Grimshaw, Mugabi, McGinlay, Hastie, Cole, White & Lamie are barely scottish championship level. Our squad is so poor, we have 46 strikers who cannot score, a midfield with zero goal threat and a defence determined to give every opponent a goal headstart every game.

Add that to obviously poor coaching and its far from a recipe for success

1 minute ago, wellwell91 said:

The shape is the problem we’re so narrow because we play 3 in the midfield that there is no protection for the fullbacks, hence they have all the time in the world to throw crosses into our box.

4-4-2 

St Mireen are passing through the midfield with so much ease, I fail to see how removing a centre midfielder would help. Unless you're suggesting a diamond midfield which doesn't really offer the protection you're after for the full backs..

2 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

St Mireen are passing through the midfield with so much ease, I fail to see how removing a centre midfielder would help. Unless you're suggesting a diamond midfield which doesn't really offer the protection you're after for the full backs..

St Midden are playing 4-5-1, to get an "extra man" in there we'd need to Levein it with a 4-6-0 or a weird 3-6-1. Formation isnt the problem. We could have 10 in midfield, if they dont follow runners & close down space they wont stop the opponents! Why do we never look organized of like we have scouted the opposition?

• Like 1

Just now, Kmcalpin said:

St Mirren look so much more organised and hard working than we do.

Agreed,that's the worrying thing,theres not any organisation or any particular style to our play,it's like we're just turning up every game and see how it goes.

Just now, jim64 said:

Mugabi poor Lang deary me I thought Joe McLeod was bad there’s no direction or urgency in our play what do they practice during the week? Glad I’m not at the game at least you can switch the tv off !!

A front line of joe mcleod, gordon mair and mark caughey could be more effective today......younger readers will have no idea who I am on about

• Haha 1