Season 2020’21: Game 15: St Mirren (H)

Andy_P

6 minutes ago, Jumbomuir said:

He picked a team to grind out a result, once that wisnae on he tried to change it, Yes it was a bit better, but still not good enough. Christ listening to Jock Brown commentating you would have thought we were world beaters. When Mugabi got subbed, "Its certainly not on his performance, he must have a knock". Get real Jock he's BRUTAL!!!! 

I think Martin Foyle scouted Jock Brown also!! Ba boom

Taken in isolation, I don't think we actually deserved to lose that.  Not that a draw is necessarily good enough mind you, but still, a defeat was harsh on us I felt.

They had a few chances condensed the early part of the game and we had a few chances condensed in the latter part of the game.  They scored from one of theirs, we didn't. 

I don't think Robinson did himself many favours with the starting line up which looked light on creativity and the fears that we will all have had the minute we conceded about our ability to come back, proved to be well founded. 

In recent weeks the most balanced we've looked with a *relative* amount of solidity and some attacking threat was when Cole, Watt and a wide man taking on a full-back were involved up front; O'Hara was alongside Gallagher in central defence and we had Polworth, Campbell and Maguire in midfield.  It wasn't a massive surprise that when that fell into place in the last half an hour again we looked as good over the last three or four games.  It's no silver bullet. It's no world beating set up. But where we are just now, it looks as good as we put together when we are facing teams of a similar ilk.

But of course we can't just take it isolation can we?  There's a Cup run and a growing number of games without a win immediately behind us and God help us next weekend.

As a strong supporter of Robinson I fear for the momentum that could be built up between now and the January transfer window when the chances comes to make some necessary changes.

I think we need to look at a broader view. Teams by this time in a season would have sorted themselves out from early season issues and should have improved by this point. Clearly we haven't got anything sorted out at all, and if the appeal against the 6 points is upheld not only will we lose them, we'd have a GD difference as well, we'll be in serious trouble. I'm not impressed counting our current position without having earned the points and I hope it's not seen as how well we've done.

We are a team that can’t score goals, we saw that the tail end of last season, teams must love coming to Fir Park now, tactic’s are go one nil up and you can cruise the rest of the game.

Very fearful for next week, with our defensive frailties and the way they are playing this could be an SPL scoring record.

What’s went wrong, why have we become so dire and easy to play against.

23 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

We are a team that can’t score goals, we saw that the tail end of last season, teams must love coming to Fir Park now, tactic’s are go one nil up and you can cruise the rest of the game.

Very fearful for next week, with our defensive frailties and the way they are playing this could be an SPL scoring record.

All the defenders on next Sunday and a half each for Watt and Cole to run about.

Poor result and what sounds like another lacklustre performance. The kind of result that, if things are allowed to continue, will see us in real trouble at the end of the season. The fact that we have been on this track for a few weeks now is worrying. Things have to change for the simple reason that whatever we are doing now just isn't working.

36 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

Simply because we've stood still and not progressed. Teams have sussed us out as they have before during Robinsons tenure. He had Turnbull, Scott and Hastie  to pull him out a hole last season. He no longer has that luxury and the squad is now overloaded with players not up to the required level. The recruitment has been woeful as has been said before in here. I know we don't have a blank cheque but fs surely we can attract a better standard of player with our SPL status alone? I really don't know where we go from here. 

The only positives I took from the game were we at least created some chances( even although we never looked like converting them) which was better than having the usual 1 shot at goal.

And Grimmy looked a better left back than Lamie and McGinley combined (which tbf wouldn’t be hard).

He has a lot of things to sort out.

53 minutes ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

Did anyone expect us to win with a trio of non-scoring forwards and a midfield three of Ohara maguire and Campbell? 

Well, like many I was nonplussed at the line up. If we're going to play a passing game we need to have the players to do that and we didn't. Little or creativity in midfield. Polworth has had a poorish season but he made a difference when he came on. Was he fully fit? The alternative to that is to play long high balls to the front men, which we also tried but again we don't have the players to do that either.  When under pressure we looked very shaky in defence and in midfield and it was no surprise when Saints scored.  After that they sat in and played very defensively to snuff out our ineffective walking football style. Truth be told though they were no great shakes and on pressure we were probably worth a point. We're now going back to the start of the season where the opposition sat in and gave us possession and simply waited until we made the inevitable error.

Very few decent performers today although Grimmy did try, but with little end product, and the much maligned Hastie looked the part when he came on. 

Mugabi doesn't impress me and is too error prone. O'Hara is no midfielder and didn't look clever at the goal either. Barry Maguire also failed to impress, his late shot apart. 

4-3-3 isn't working and neither are Robbo's bizarre team selections.

To get beaten by the league's bottom team at home, is not acceptable.  Where do we go from here?

What worried me was the body language on the touch line. Any time the cameras zoom in on Robbo he is usually bawling at the top of his voice but today he was noticeably quiet as if he couldn’t believe what he was watching.

I can’t make my mind up if he has “lost” some of the players or if we just have a majority of a squad who are not willing or able to “kiss the badge” if you want to use that analogy. We were strolling about while the St Mirren guys were throwing themselves into tackles and defending as if their lives depended on it.

You can coach formations and tactics but you can’t coach passion so to that extent I do feel a teensy bit sorry  for Robbo although granted it is him who signs the players.

Or maybe he just doesn’t have a clue   or has just run out of ideas.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, santheman said:

What worried me was the body language on the touch line. Any time the cameras zoom in on Robbo he is usually bawling at the top of his voice but today he was noticeably quiet as if he couldn’t believe what he was watching.

I can’t make my mind up if he has “lost” some of the players or if we just have a majority of a squad who are not willing or able to “kiss the badge” if you want to use that analogy. We were strolling about while the St Mirren guys were throwing themselves into tackles and defending as if their lives depended on it.

You can coach formations and tactics but you can’t coach passion so to that extent I do feel a teensy bit sorry  for Robbo although granted it is him who signs the players.

Or maybe he just doesn’t have a clue   or has just run out of ideas.

When did Robbo ever coach tactics or formations? We are very clearly the poorest coached and worst organized team in the league. 

• Thanks 1

Heard Robinson saying, I'm paraphrasing but it'll be close enough, 'We need to put an arm round them and cajole them this isn't a bunch of lads you can rant and rave at'.

The sends off major fucking alarms for me.  

What about we get in a bunch of lads you can rant and rave at and they run up the tunnel making snarling animals noises.  No wonder we've never turned round a half time deficit. 

Don't care enough, that's what that is.  The manager shouts at you and it's all about you and how you feel.  Fuck off!  Get up the tunnel and be a hero and get this emo shite to fuck!

Pissed me right off that did!  In my day the postman gave you a slap for getting in the way.  :lol:.  What the fuck is going on!  

That's suggests he's already been ranting and raving at them at some point this season and it hasn't work and now the softy softy approach isn't going to work either,that really does set the alarm bells ringing.its been clear all season this team is a soft touch and robinsons comments just confirm it.the lot of them need a serious boot up the arse including robinson.