Financial help for Scottish Football

Spiderpig

I see the Scottish Government has announced the amount of financial support to Scottish clubs to help out during the covid pandemic.

It seems each premiership club will get loans of £2 million each, while all the other championship, league 1, league 2 and lowland / Highland league teams get varying amou to of Grants.

While the cash will no doubt be welcomed by the board its seem unfair that the top clubs are saddled with a  new £2 million debt while others get non payback grants

It would depend on the repayment terms I suppose. If they were at a very low rate of interest over a decent length of time then it would be sensible for the club to take advantage of it if needed.

As far as lower league clubs are concerned (at least the better supported ones) then they should be treated the same as the SPL clubs and be offered loans not grants. Why should the likes of ICT Dunfermline etc get a possible financial advantage over clubs they could potentially face in a play off.

I would Imagine that there will be some kind of limitations as to what the loans/grants can be used for though.

18 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

While the cash will no doubt be welcomed by the board its seem unfair that the top clubs are saddled with a  new £2 million debt while others get non payback grants

I wouldn't touch these loans with a bargepole unless we really, really need the dosh. For those who take the cash there will be a day of reckoning.

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

There is no chance of the Scottish government getting a penny of the £2m back off Accies or Livi! 

I forsee another fraud victim at New Douglas Park and David Martindale expanding his business interests. 

"Sorry Nicola. It just disappeared from our bank account. I know, I know - you'd never think it would happen twice. Can I interest you in some CBD Vindaloo?"