Season 2020’21: Game 17: Aberdeen (H)

Andy_P

Honesty don't think that was as bad as some are suggesting. Aberdeen had more of the ball but other than in the first ten minutes I don't recall being under any real pressure. Archer made a good save from johnny hayes free kick but I can't remember another save of note. 

We also had probably the best chance of the game with polworth.

Defensive looked fairly comfortable, we prevented Ferguson and Mccrorie dominating the game.

Not a bad point.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Big Stall said:

Tonights the first time in a while iv had issues with the stream. Internet is solid, wired to the property 120meg. First half fine, five mins of second half in it stopped and been locked out since.

On the positive side it doesnt sound like im missing much

The stream has been rock solid, it’s not been bad at all the last couple of games.  Better performance than most at Fir Park.

Decent point given our form and one we just about deserved. Back 3 looked solid and Carroll will come in at LB/LWB soon (although Grimshaw was ok tonight).

Front 2 worked hard but didn’t really look like scoring, think we should go with Watt and Cole at Tannadice.

Midfield is a real issue and a big part of our lack of goals. Campbell was poor tonight by his standards but has to play given the other options. Which 2 play with him is very much up for debate. I’d go McGuire and Polworth. Hopefully Donnelly will be back soon.

20 minutes ago, MFCL84 said:

For me the defending is far too late in the opposition build up. Too much of the pitch is surrendered and there is no pressure on the ball preventing crosses or some quick passing around the edge of our box. Almost inevitably this leads to having to make last ditch blocks or tackles. I'd much rather defend from the front.

With you 100% on that. If you make a mistake up front or even in midfield it won't be critical but if you do it in your own box it could well be. Fortunately Aberdeen were a bit toothless up front but that was no thanks to our midfield. I thought our defence, particularly Dec and Lamie were fine tonight.

A step forward. A modest step forward granted, but a step forward nonetheless.

It felt like a back to basics type set up. Maybe not as open and attack minded as we would want but we setup but solid and generally well organised.  They had the Main chance and a half chance from the same early on but nothing massively troublesome from them thereafter. Blanking the team in third isn't the worst and something to build on.

Shame about the Polworth chance but a win would have been pushing it a little.

I would imagine we'll set up much the same on Saturday and I won't be overly upset if we secure a point in a similar fashion.

• Like 1

It was a poor poor watch but a point against one of the top sides in the league is something to build on. More concerned about the results at this time than the performance . As they say - build from the back, and if we can keep things tight, we won't lose many games. Surely o'hara must stay there now.

The midfield and attack are severely lacking in confidence though, with the exception of watt. I love Campbell but it was the quietest I've seen him in a long time.

All in all, given recent form, I'll take it and will take the same again on boxing day if i'm honest - not pretty but something to build on and will let us go into the killie and accies games with a bit more belief.

38 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

That was total, turgid junk...fair play to anyone who watched it and thought it was anything other than that.

To think I was desperate to get fitba back, to end up watching that. Everything is completely flat

Aye that was dire viewing yet again,there really isn't much happening for us right now,were devoid of any ideas,no width,no pace,we surely must be one of the slowest teams in the league.i don't really rate that hedges guy from aberdeen but he's the type of player were needing,somebody that can open the legs and drag the team up the park,tony watt is good at coming deep and doing that but then there's nothing in the box when he does,the midfield is total static and not one of them are willing to gamble and get in behind the strikers.whats worrying is that we have tweaked the formation enough times already this season but yet we are playing exactly the same way in each game.we badly need a mini shake up of the squad next month to get us going again.