Set Pieces

Kmcalpin

Given that we're struggling to create and convert chances just now you'd think we'd concentrate on set pieces like corners and free kicks. However, that doesn't seem to be the case. This season they've been dire, last night being the most recent example. The biggest, though not sole, culprit is Liam Polworth.   Whatever his faults, he's a talented footballer and I just don't get his consistently poor efforts.  Surely we should be concentrating on improving these set pieces?

• Like 1

Polworths set pieces are just plain lazy,he either doesn't beat the first man or it's just a lump it into the box and hope for the best,to not beat the first man with a free kick in injury time that wasnt that far outside the box after we have just brought white on was disgraceful.i still cant believe jock brown called him a set piece expert a couple of weeks ago.

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Given that we're struggling to create and convert chances just now you'd think we'd concentrate on set pieces like corners and free kicks. However, that doesn't seem to be the case. This season they've been dire, last night being the most recent example. The biggest, though not sole, culprit is Liam Polworth.   Whatever his faults, he's a talented footballer and I just don't get his consistently poor efforts.  Surely we should be concentrating on improving these set pieces?

I'm sure set pieces are a regular part of our training. It's just that, like everything just now, we're fairly shit at them. 

I doubt it's through a lack of trying to improve things. 

1 hour ago, mfc said:

Polworths set pieces are just plain lazy,he either doesn't beat the first man or it's just a lump it into the box and hope for the best,to not beat the first man with a free kick in injury time that wasnt that far outside the box after we have just brought white on was disgraceful.i still cant believe jock brown called him a set piece expert a couple of weeks ago.

I would have let O’Hara have a go and hope it’s a scorcher or the goalie spills it back out 

46 minutes ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

Gallagher seems very capable at defending his own box but seems to get his timing all wrong when heading in the opposition box (when we don’t under or over hit our set pieces)

What I’ve noticed about him is he always seems to take up position at the far post so is a bit predictable for opposition defenders.

Would like to see us mixing it up a bit more

5 minutes ago, Walker86 said:

They are poor and lacking variety. Throw ins are my biggest gripe. Too slow and never any movement in our half. The long throws are desperate and teams are wise too it.

This has been a bugbear of mine all season. When was the last time you saw us take a quick throw up the line and look for a knock on? We always wait way too long and the opposition defence are back in position. Its torture!

• Like 1

Just now, joewarkfanclub said:

This has been a bugbear of mine all season. When was the last time you saw us take a quick throw up the line and look for a knock on? We always wait way too long and the opposition defence are back in position. Its torture!

100%. So frustrating. It's been a motherwell flaw since before Robbo imho.

2 hours ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

Gallagher seems very capable at defending his own box but seems to get his timing all wrong when heading in the opposition box (when we don’t under or over hit our set pieces)

He uses the same technique in both boxes which isn’t what is required.

4 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I think that problem is evident in how we play for 90 minutes. Everything is hesitant, passing is laboured, players look like they're not certain where others are going to be. A complete lack of fluency. 

I don't know if it's a confidence thing. Maybe the players are in the frame of mind where they just need to retain the ball and find the next claret and amber shirt. Keep it safe before taking risks. Hopefully just a phase.

1 hour ago, The African said:

I think we might do better at throw ins if we returned to calling them shys. Don't ask me to explain why, I just do. The same goes for "goal kicks". Bring back the by kick and we will be okay.

Let’s get guys up front, the boys up top have not performed.

Please please no quick throws while Keith Lasley is a coach at the club. I have scarring from Las' constant quick throws, mainly in European games where he threw the ball to the other team and 9 seconds later they had scored because we were all over the place

On 12/24/2020 at 9:51 PM, numpty said:

This has been a bugbear of mine since about 1986. I can't remember us ever being any good at throws, except maybe when Tom Boyd used to flick them on to Davie Cooper.

Even earlier. I can't remember anybody since Andy Walker exploiting throw-ins through his movement to give his colleague, taking he throw-in, a positive option.