Jump to content

Andy_P

Season 2020’21: Game 18: Dundee Utd (A)

Recommended Posts

Whilst really annoyed at not getting 3 points at least the performance was better and something to build on. Polworth was terrible. Dreadfully slow in thought and action he needs to buck up. Lamie just needs not to be on the park. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better performance lapse  in concentration cost us . For the substitutions alone he showed why he is not the man to take the club forward  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, that hat said:

Kilmarnock lose again today and are struggling, so it's Motherwell to their rescue midweek.

At this rate Phil they might well have a new a Manager or have lost their current one. Like Ross County I expect them to sack Dyer. If not after this game then if they lose to us also. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

White comming on did not lose us the points. Poor decisions and marking by our defensive players did. However  if we had been more clinical upfront then their would have been no pressure in jnjury time. Utd got lucky today.

But that substitution changes our shape, our approach, our mindset, so it’s little to do with White himself but the dynamic changes and we lose the points.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

White comming on did not lose us the points. Poor decisions and marking by our defensive players did. However  if we had been more clinical upfront then their would have been no pressure in jnjury time. Utd got lucky today.

Too true, dont know what Whyte did wrong today? If we keep playing like that,  we will surely win more than we lose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chasing games or trying to hold onto one goal leads will more often than not result in us conceding late on.  Our experienced professionals continually make poor decisions  switch off and dont mark properly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

White is worse than Alex Fisher, why Cole doesn’t come on is a mystery, as he looked pretty decent when he came on against Aberdeen. He has to hold his hands up for his decision making and not just player mistakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Too true, dont know what Whyte did wrong today? If we keep playing like that,  we will surely win more than we lose.

Not that he done anything wrong. In reality he doesn’t do much of anything. I think the comments, at least mine, are more aimed at Robinson for putting him on the pitch instead of Cole who would offer much more.  I’m not in the “Robinson out” camp but his subs have not been the best decisions lately. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Not that he done anything wrong. In reality he doesn’t do much of anything. I think the comments, at least mine, are more aimed at Robinson for putting him on the pitch instead of Cole who would offer much more.  I’m not in the “Robinson out” camp but his subs have not been the best decisions lately. 

I think if he came out after a game and explained his rationale behind the subs we might be a bit forgiving but unfortunately there’s little chance of that happening

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Let's see who Robbo blames tonight as never his fault. 

I actually blame the players for that, we should have been out of sight well before the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, couttsy said:

Is there a single person on this forum that would have put Whyte on before Cole and Cornelius before McGuire?! Raging at Robinson after that.

Although to be fair we should have been out of sight with the chances we had.

Feckin bizarre............... first start of the season for Cornelius 10 minutes to go 1 up away 

Killie eight defeats in the last 9......fear the worst for Wednesday 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Richie said:

There would even be an argument for Hastie on for Lang.

White coming on completely changed our dynamic.

 

If were not going to put Cole on for Lang were as well leaving Lang on ………Absolutely fecking crazy substitution 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was so frustrating. Better team, better chances, looked really comfortable, didnt put the game to bed and the inevitible happens.

Our decision making in the final third is costing us big time. Main culprits today were Lang, who should have played Polworth in on goal in the 2nd half and O'Donnell for the shot that others have already covered. But in truth you could pick out multiple offenders over the whole season.

But yet again the subs! 

I really dont know what to say about them. White may not have lost us the game, but if you are the manager and you have the choice of Cole, Hastie or White and you choose the latter?  Similarly with Cornelius. I was delighted to see him getting some game time, but if you are the manager and havent seen fit to play him in 588 days and you are trying to see out a 1-0 win for a vital 3 points, is that really the time you chose to throw the youngster on, especially when you have the vastly more experienced Maguire as an alternative?

Im not in the Robbo out camp. Never have been and it would take quite a lot to get me there, but he cost us that game today with those subs and if he keeps doing it the pressure will continue to mount on him.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I actually blame the players for that, we should have been out of sight well before the end.

I've said a couple of times on this thread earlier in the season that the players are just as much to blame as robinson as today was an example of that,don't get me wrong bringing whyte on yet again was a mistake as that substitution alone changes how we plan on seeing the game out and it just doesn't work.the players carry the can today though imo,we should have that game done and dusted,sloppy decision making in the final third and another poor goal conceded has cost us.its a decent point but has that feel of a defeat about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The usual suspects leaving the fault directly at the managers door I see...

...I'm nae happy Clapper, but that today was as good as I've seen us play for a while, up to a point. The point where we stopped being good was when we needed to get the ball in the net...we were wasteful in the extreme, particularly Lang and Polworth, with decision making in the final third being absolutely ridiculous at times.

 

Defensively we looked ok, with Lamie having a decent game and Crawford protecting the defence well.

 

We can discuss, subs and 'why did he do that' or 'why didn't he do that', and I do find the perseverance with White to be strange, but do we even know if Cole is 100% fit, or Maguire has trained all week? 

 

In my opinion, we lost two points today after a decent performance where Utd weren't really ay the races, and we lost  the points because we didnt take our chances, rather than because of substitutions.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

Whilst really annoyed at not getting 3 points at least the performance was better and something to build on. Polworth was terrible. Dreadfully slow in thought and action he needs to buck up. 

Polworth has been terrible all season, he has a great knack of marking open spaces, avoiding the action and pussyfooting on the ball when he has no time. Thought getting dropped would have gave him a shake but obviously not 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

If I was Cole I’d be knocking on his door on Monday saying “gaffer, no offence but what exactly do I have to do to get ahead of some of the pish you’ve got here?”

He’s got to be injured? Surely?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

The usual suspects leaving the fault directly at the managers door I see...

...I'm nae happy Clapper, but that today was as good as I've seen us play for a while, up to a point. The point where we stopped being good was when we needed to get the ball in the net...we were wasteful in the extreme, particularly Lang and Polworth, with decision making in the final third being absolutely ridiculous at times.

 

Defensively we looked ok, with Lamie having a decent game and Crawford protecting the defence well.

 

We can discuss, subs and 'why did he do that' or 'why didn't he do that', and I do find the perseverance with White to be strange, but do we even know if Cole is 100% fit, or Maguire has trained all week? 

 

In my opinion, we lost two points today after a decent performance where Utd weren't really ay the races, and we lost  the points because we didnt take our chances, rather than because of substitutions.

Agree re Crawford but not Lamie. On 3 perhaps 4 occasions he conceded unnecessary fouls. Also, he sadly had his customary wild clearances. Certainly not his worst game but again below average.

Meantime, brief comment about Lang. I do like him but today I got the distinct impression that he was regularly looking for an out of this world finish as a going away pressie to the club. Selfish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Off topic, but there's sad news emerging from Tannadice this evening..?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50338260

Indeed. Puts a little perspective on our onfield issues.

A genuine legend of the Scottish game and complete one off. RIP Jim McLean. Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The African said:

Indeed. Puts a little perspective on our onfield issues.

A genuine legend of the Scottish game and complete one off. RIP Jim McLean. Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Genuine Scottish football legend. The only manager to banjo a journalist for having the audacity to ask an awkward question. Jim and his brother Tommy were two of the greater things to happen to Scottish football in the 80’s and 90’s. RIP Jim

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×